close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking to purchase high quality 1911

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Arr6, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Arr6

Arr6 Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I am looking to purchase a high end 1911. Some names that come to mind are Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk and Wilson Combat.

Im looking for insight on which provide better value for the money. I want to pay for quality and not just a brand name. I want to keep it under $4k.

Some things I am looking for are night sights, accessory rail, mid-sized and the best quality money can buy. I want an SS frame and slide with very tight tolerances.

Most importantly, I want it to feed any ammo whether it be FMJ or JHP.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  2. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    No DA/SA or decocker on a 1911

3. wade-19

wade-19 Global Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aug 17, 2011
    Sounds like you want a CZ P-01

4. Arr6

Arr6 Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I see 1911 are only single action and dont have deocker options for the most part so I will take that one off.

5. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I think your money will be best spent with Wilson Combat. They are the "godfathers" of semi custom's and everyone else's CS is just trying to immulate them! They build a great gun, but so do all the others. Its the other things that make a company good or bad

6. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Guncrafter Industries would be my first choice.....Although a mid-size (Commander) with rail will certainly limit your choices quite a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Gunshine

Gunshine New Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I don't think you would be disappointed with the Wilson. But I would like to suggest you take your time and try to find and handle a few high end guns.

8. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    With the exception of Para, all 1911's are single action.

If you want a mid-sized rail, then i'd go with an Ed Brown, i think wait times are ~120days now.
    If you don't mind waiting over a year, Springfield Custom Shop could pretty much build you what you want.
    Depending on options, $4000 might get you a Infinity

Stainless guns usually aren't fit as tight as carbon steel guns because they can gall.

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011

Yes, a mid-length (aka commander) w/ a rail will limit what you want. From a production gun, Springfield Champion Operator w/ an aluminum frame is the first option that comes to mind.

But if you want a build, go with any of the above No Name and add a Dawson light rail.

10. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    I don't think Dawson makes the light rails anymore.

11. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Why are you prepared to spend $4000 on a weapon with which you seem relatively unfamiliar?

.....just curious.

12. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    If the OP has the cash, why question the budget?

There's no reason to why one must start from the bottom and work up...

13. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Just curious how he sets a $4000 budget for a 1911, when he isn't familiar with it's most basic design. SA/DA, decocker...
    I mean, how do you decide you want to spend $4000 on something when you don't know what it is?
    Not suggesting starting from the "bottom" - I'm all for starting at the top and buying the best. Not trying to start in here...

14. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Oops, I misread... disregard

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  15. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    No one questions a 16 year old "rich kid" getting a $80k Mercedes,......why question a $4k weapon selection?

16. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    That's exactly my thinking. One doesn't have to drive a Kia to appreciate owning a Benz. If they have the budget, go for the Benz and enjoy it.

17. carguy2244

carguy2244 Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
  18. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    close. he want's it in SS and don't know if he want's it bobtail, but he can get it his way if he order's it.

19. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Funny he should ask. I happen to know of a stainless Ed Brown Kobra Carry that is available for half his price limit. It doesn't have a rail, but he can overlook that I'm sure since it's been flawless with FMJ and JHP. :thumb:

20. Arr6

Arr6 Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Thanks all for the helpful info.

I have always been a glock guy and at one point had 14 glocks. I have liquidated most of them and want to get one high quality, well built 1911. Surely a bold move, but I want to dive right into the good stuff.

I put 4k on the table, what does the experienced 1911 user get? :)

So far Im liking the designs of Wilson combat and Nighthawk. The Guncrafter no name is interesting, but cant see much info out there. Is this a new company?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted