looking to rid my weapon of it's Series 80 b.s.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by rukwikenuf, Jan 3, 2012.

1. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf Member

Oct 16, 2011
    can it be done? i'd assume that would help smooth out the trigger a fair amount, and i'm planning a trigger job in the next week or so. what do i need to do to undo the Series 80 on my SIG 1911? as far as i can tell, the mechanicals are the same as any other Series 80, with the exception of the blasphemeous extractor and squared slide

2. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    You can replace the levers in the frame with the filler plate linked by soylent green, then simply remove the plunger and spring from the slide.

However, with a good polish of the levers and plunger, it's unlikely you can feel the parts in your trigger pull.

3. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf Member

Oct 16, 2011
    CMG, i think that's what i'll do. i work at the LGS, and our 'smith is pretty good, so i'll probably just go bug him for advice. then i'll have him show me exactly what to polish and what NOT to touch.

by the by, this is my EDC. i'm not trying to lighten the pull, just smooth it out. who knows, maybe just tweaking the trigger itself will do the trick

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    i have a Colt Commander that Chuck Rogers worked on. It's a Series 80,
    all parts intact, trigger is as sweet! The Series 80 CAN have a damn good trigger!

5. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Knowing that this is your Edc. I definitely would not remove the series 80 parts. If the unfortunate time came for you to use that pistol in self defense. Having removed the safety mechanism would not look good in court.

6. Cigarhead

Cigarhead Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Good reasons to buy a Series 70

7. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    The court thing is irrelevant in court. You pulling the trigger deactivates any safety. Plus your lawyer hould handle that. I am just really sik of the whole dont modify any safety on a gun... It hurts you in court. I have not seen one authenticated instance.

If you want to take out the 80 series... Go ahead.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  8. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Like I said before,.......get a PROPER trigger job done by a competent PistolSmith
    and a Series 80 will have a trigger as good as a Series 70.

9. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Chuck Rogers runs a Colt S80 as his daily carry and still retain the safety.

10. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    My EDC is a Series 80 Commander with a trigger job Chuck did.
    It's outstanding,........I'd give someone a $100 bill if they could
    tell the difference between it and a Series 70 Commander trigger!

11. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I want a series 75!

12. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
    I've have a SS Series 80 Colt Combat Commander, that had a trigger job done in Les Baer's shop back in the mid 90's.
    He retained all the Series 80 parts and the trigger is every bit as good or better that his production pistols and I have 4 of those currently.
    A good smith should be able to do a trigger job where you can't tell the difference.
    Personally I would not want a open hole in my slide that might let some kind of funk intrude.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  13. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Didn't even think of that,..........darn good point!

14. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf Member

Oct 16, 2011
    well i talked to Ryan, the 'smith at my local shop. basically he said i need a new trigger to adjust for the creep in my pistol. he said that we can do away with the series 80 stuff, but it;s not going to make as much difference as a new trigger. he is aware that i don't want to reduce the trigger pull at all and understands what i'm interested in. and he's done some work for me in thhe past. he knows his ****

15. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Creep has to do with hammer/sear engagement, so replacing the trigger will not get rid of it.

16. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    You REALLY need to find a new shop,........Your guy Ryan, does NOT know or understand 1911s.

17. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Quack knows his stuff, and he's not even a smith.

I agree with him.

18. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    +1 on this as well.

Ask your smith to see if he knows the difference between pre and post travel...

19. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Just thinking is it Creep or Take-up that he was going to get rid of? there is still a certain amount of take-up that is needed for the gun to function safely/properly.

you can still get a good trigger while retaining the Series 80 parts, and since you said it's your EDC, i would leave the parts intact.
    My Remington trigger (that i worked one) is just as nice as my other triggers, or it could be that all my triggers are crappy :lol:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted