Looks familiar

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Greg Derr, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm very happy this is finally happening for Bob. I got the chance to see the black one and the stainless one at SHOT and can say they are very nicely done. Look forward to hearing some reviews about it from the many people that have already ordered them. And congrats to both Marvel and NightHawk for doing a great project!

2. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    Hell yeah it does. Looks damn nice in my opinion. Good to see NH stepping out of the box.

3. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    With a 12 mo backlog already, how are they producing these or how do they expect to sell them?

4. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I suppose people will wait for them like any other gun. If I heard correctly, Bob has trained one smith to build theses at NH. Takes more time with only one smith building them.

5. deadguy

deadguy Eddie Van Halen Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
  6. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    From what I was lead to believe they had quite a good showing of these at SHOT and presold a LOT of them, which is great news. The smith that is building them is a great guy and does great work. From what I understand they are made one at a time by him. As far as selling them, with a back log of 12 months, it sounds like they are selling them pretty good already.

7. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I wish Marvel had teamed up with them to build a dedicated match quality .22lr 1911 .

There are so MANY "named" or themed models of 1911's built by both Nighthawk and Ed Brown that it just seems redundant to keep building the dammed things.Massad Ayoob this or MOLON LABE that.

Give it a rest. :rolleyes2:

A match quality semi-custom .22lr is something that no one has brought to market as far as I know.
    And Bob Marvel's .22 conversion units are top shelf.

Why not a Bob Marvel 1911 .22 lr themed gun ?

DAT85

8. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    The 12 mo backlog is just for a general build so I don't think its specific to the Marvel model. Maybe their energy is focused on the Costa and Marvel models and not so much on the rest of their pieces. Either way I wish Mr. Marvel the best with the relationship.

9. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    That's an awesome idea.

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Very good to hear,......much deserved!

11. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    I hear ya 20south. From what is understood he is doing very well with them and I also hope it continues to work out.

12. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Looks pretty good. I like the matting on the top of the slide. Reminds me of Swenson's style.

Anyone know what grip safety he used? I like its lines.

Andy

13. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    What's the recoil system that they use? Less spring changes, less recoil interests me.

14. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    WOW WOW WOW!!! Now that is sweet!!!!

15. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
  16. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
  17. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    From what I understand they are using a grip safety that is made for them by their own design locally. But that could be incorrect...

They are using the flat wire system that Bob has been experimenting with for a couple of years now, which he got from a friend of ours Andy Anderson in Colorado. Andy has been playing with glock springs in 1911's for a long time and Bob took the idea and kind of ran with it and passed it on to NH from what I am led to believe.

18. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    The flat spring that Wilson sells is also a Glock spring. That's why they use a new guide rod with smaller diameter rather than making a new spring for a 1911 guide rod.

19. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted