Les Baer Loose Les Baer?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by TRoller, Sep 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TRoller

TRoller Active Member

Mar 27, 2018
    While I was waiting on the return of my GI's I scratched another itch and bought a TRS while I could still find one. I bought a NIB TRS 1.5" guarantee from gunbroker which arrived Friday.

Upon receiving the pistol at the FFL everything looked good, nothing to indicate it was a used gun or anything noticeable. I got home and wiped the excess CLP from the outside of the gun and after admiring the pistol for a minute I racked the slide and to my surprise it wasn't any more difficult to rack than my GI's. There was a definite "pop" from battery but only when the hammer was down. You could definitely tell the bushing was snug on the barrel.

I've read in some research how some of the 1.5" guarantee guns are a bit looser than other Baers due to some extra fitting that may or not be involved in the build process, but overly tight or not it was smooth right out of the box.

I got back from the range tonight after 250 rounds. All I had with were my handloads, which I load a little on the long side and aside from a few failures to load from slide lock using the slide stop it all ran fine. Loading from slingshot went great, accuracy was good, admit it was me rushing to break this thing in because of the busy range tonight. Anyways I gave it a thorough cleaning and a good lube with some Ultima-lube and side by side with my GI's its hard to tell a difference.

This is my first experience with a Les Baer. Overall I am more than happy with the gun but almost wish it had that struggle to break the action open tightness i've always heard of.

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Sounds like it’s fit rather well and correctly.

LPRoad, Uncle Bob, Badabing11 and 4 others like this.

3. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I would have to agree with that..

retrieverman likes this.
  4. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    It’s because you cleaned it before sending 500 rounds down the pipe. :)

Enjoy it’s a great gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badabing11, Doc45 and Bender like this.
  5. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    I think you got a better one. Congrats!

LPRoad and Badabing11 like this.
  6. leadfarmer

leadfarmer Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2018
    How can we believe this story without pics.....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. bad2006z71

bad2006z71 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Out of my 4 Baer's and my buddies 1 SRP, all except my UTC 45 are no more difficult to rack the slide than any other nicely fitted 1911. They have tight barrel bushings requiring a wrench to remove.

My UTC 45 was put together by a 1,000 lb gorilla and takes a rubber mallet to assemble and disassemble, though the bushing is the "loosest" of my Baer's. Accuracy and reliability have been excellent from it.

Raven312, Slapshot and Doc45 like this.
  8. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    I've had multiple Baers over the years with a used TRS on the way to me now. My last one was a new UTC I bought a year ago in June. It is finished in hard chrome. While racking it upon initial use was a bit easier than any of the others (except one used one I had) it still needs the wrench to turn/remove the bushing.

As others have said, you've got a great gun, load shoot repeat and enjoy.

retrieverman and Slapshot like this.
  9. TRoller

TRoller Active Member

Mar 27, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *Required pics
    I think I'm really going to like this one. . . Until my Prime shows up!

Dwe, LPRoad, 1L26 and 7 others like this.
  10. sean10mm

sean10mm Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    There is a better way to take down a Baer than using a wrench.

Oily_Boogie likes this.
  11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Unlike many so called semi-custom pistols on the market today ,
    Les Baers pistols are Hand Fitted not just machined to close tolerances And assembled.
    That being said ,each exhibits it’s own “personality “ .thats why I love them. Each is different to some degree and seem to be alive.
    They quickly become dependable old friends.

Dwe, LPRoad, Mike Meints and 3 others like this.
  12. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    It sounds like you found a Les Baer Unicorn. Be thankful, one of mine is a couple years old and I still can't rack the slide on it. I sold one for that reason. You got lucky. You can often tell if a LB has seen a lot of use by how big the smiley face on the front end of the barrel is. That comes from the hard fit.
    When you turn the bushing, pull the slide back just enough to break the bushing/barrel tight fit.
    Congrats & best wishes.

Badabing11 likes this.
  13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Beautiful Baer, I am in the "it doesn't have to be bank vault tight to be correct" camp. Some are just plain ridiculous, and others are smooth as butter, either way it's a Baer, and a darn fine 1911!

Doc45 and tac45 like this.
  14. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    This is good to hear. The tightness issue has been keeping me from even considering getting a Les Baer. Beautiful gun!

15. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    And it appears to have a true Novak instead of copy rear sight. Is that so?

16. TRoller

TRoller Active Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Its marked ameriglo. Both front and rear dated 18.

17. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    That is probably the name and date for the night sight inserts, not the sight itself. I could however be mistaken.

18. TRoller

TRoller Active Member

Mar 27, 2018
    It could be just the inserts, the rear is marked LBC on the top. Whether it is a true Novak I can't say. It is a low mount rear. I could take a picture of the rear of the slide tonight.

19. Joni Lynn

Dec 21, 2014
    I wouldn't be able to tell any more about it. I doubt there's any function difference when they look so much alike. Best wishes.

20. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    My Hard Chrome UTC is not that tight at all and still shoots wings of flies at 100yds...:).....no worries.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted