Lost a little friend last week

Discussion in 'Open Mic' started by rockittsled, Oct 22, 2020.

1. rockittsled

rockittsled Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2020
    When my wife bought our house, she already had 3 cats. Obviously, cats appeared and disappeared on a random basis while getting used to living in the new house. One day, as she is outside, she sees what she thinks is one of her cats, mutilated with her tail cut off. She grabs her and takes her in to clean her up and take "Midnight" to the vet where she finds out out that she now has a Manx kitten. Two days later, Midnight peeks out from somewhere and is introduced to Miss Kitty. This was in 2004. As the new cat in the house, Miss Kitty determined she was "in charge" and attempted to run things as she saw fit. By the time I showed up, "Rockette" (my wife) had 7 of the little buggers running around and only a couple of them liked me. With my sense of humor being what it is, I started telling Rockette all of the conversations between the cats, between the cats and I, and between the cats and her. I started calling Miss Kitty the Evil Basement Kitty Hag after she called me the Evil Ogre while everybody was watching or ignoring a Shrek movie ... In later years, Miss Kitty would spend hours on Rockette's shoulder whispering in to her ear and making herself the favorite.

A couple of weeks ago, she stopped eating and was diagnosed with 75% renal loss. We tried Ringer solution and she perked up for a while, then, finally, said enough and let go last week

KS95B40, xerts1191, Uncle Bob and 4 others like this.
  2. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    I’m so sorry. My kitty is sitting here with me as she hates our 5 dogs and my wife (they are all downstairs sleeping). She was found by a dumpster. Animals can be our best companions. Sorry for your loss.

Spokes, KS95B40 and rockittsled like this.

3. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sorry to read this.

KS95B40 and rockittsled like this.
  4. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    My condolences on the loss of your fur kid. I've had a couple really special cats and I still miss them.

KS95B40, rockittsled and FWoo45 like this.
  5. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    So sorry for your loss. That sucks man.

6. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Sorry to hear about your loss. We too had a close call with a stray that showed up at our house 15 years ago. A little ball of mud was what he looked like. Well he eventually grew, and grew, and grew and you guessed it grew some more, all 20lbs of him.. He and I are very tight, and as I nickname all my cats based on their behavior mostly his was simply FAT BOY.. Eli for short.. Anyhow about a week and a half ago he was on my lap on the couch and all seemed fine, then 4 days later last Thursday he was a bucket of bones and had lost 3-4 lbs that fast. I took him to the Vet that Saturday as that is the quickest they could get him in, and tbh I was afraid he wasn't even going to make it that long. His behavior totally changed, he would walk about 4-5 steps and lay down, and drinking tons of water.. Well the Vet ended up looking at the wrong Chart and claimed he lost no weight since his last visit but, had actually gained I thought something was strange but, watched the doc do a pretty complete physical of ELI and said he thought it was extreme arthritis and gave him a steroid shot and said if I am correct he would show improvement in just a few days, Well I wasn't convinced and thought he had diabetes. I started feeding him a really high protein diet 30g of protein tuna, 24g protein Salmon, 14 gram Turkey breast and more he would eat the more I kept feeding him, his back bone was really protruding from his back, his eyes were glazed over, and he had no energy and in just a few days he was showing improvement.. Vet didn't want to do blood work on Sat and have it sit over the weekend and So i just started treating him like he had Diabetes. Doing a bunch better now, eyes are clear etc.. But, this cat drinks out of his paw and we have had to keep the water bowl emptied cause he is using his box and then putting his paw in the water, I am now starting to wonder if that isn't what actually made him sick. He was tested for Diabetes in 2016 and tested negative. Wondering if he didn't get some sort of infection or parasite from his water/litter bowl with taking and drinking from his paw and isn't bouncing back cause he fought it off. So, sorry yours passed, but sounds like maybe she didn't have to suffer and it was really quick. That is what I was hoping with Eli if he hadn't bounced back so quickly.. had me in tears he was so skinny for him with every bone in his back protruding. We always say no more when one passes, but it is always what tends to heal us the quickest from the shock of the loss.

7. rockittsled

Apr 8, 2020
    We have 2 more for now which helps, and later on I might tell more stories about her and the others.

KS95B40, Uncle Bob and Integrity Arms like this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    We have two more besides ELI as well. One Siamese who was thrown from a moving truck when he was about 8 weeks old, broke his jaw and his nose. He is now 9 years old. And then a All white Deaf Female who showed up at our house 3 new years eves ago, covered in blood. It was `10 to midnight and I took her to an Emergency Vet for treatment that was an hour drive, and she is a a real treat for sure..

KS95B40, Uncle Bob and rockittsled like this.
  9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    Always helps. I have an ex-feral cat who's something special and got "adopted" by an ex abused and abandoned cat.

My worst loss was my ex abused mare. Invested a large chunk of my soul turning her around. When she went after 15 years, I was a wreck for two weeks. But best 15 years of my life.

10. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Sorry to here this

rockittsled likes this.
  11. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    You have my deepest sympathy

rockittsled likes this.
  12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    So sorry....

13. SmokeyBear

SmokeyBear New Member

Jul 21, 2020
    So sorry, I've been there, you get so attached

rockittsled and KS95B40 like this.
  14. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    They're family, our fur kids.

15. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    I wasn't a "cat person" till I met my current wife. She had 4 when we met. She then adopted 2 more shortly after we started dating and I moved in with her. But they had to accept me.......go figure? lol They really are family! We're back down to 4 cats because 2 have passed. And after growing close to them before their passing made losing them extremely difficult. Very sorry for your loss.

rockittsled and KS95B40 like this.
  16. rockittsled

Apr 8, 2020
    Same here, but it is amazing how many women trust their cats' judgement when it comes to men in their lives :o.o:
    And cats seem to like me, even when I wasn't impressed with them

17. N.Al-Tider

N.Al-Tider Well-Known Member

May 15, 2017
    I dated my wife for 2 years +. We've been married for just over 35 years. The entire time she has had at least one cat and as many as 5 in the house with the exception of a little over a year ago we went for almost a whole year with no cats. I am still NOT a cat person. In fact, I absolutely HATE cats with a passion. IMO, the only good cat is a dead one and the only thing they are good for is for a chew toy for dogs...

Sorry, I hope you guys aren't offended by that.

18. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Sorry for your loss. Had two cats myself...My male lived to be seventeen..

19. rockittsled

Apr 8, 2020
    Truthfully that was my opinion also. A couple of the little buggers changed my mind. Three of the 7 that she had when I met her, well, I just called them the Demon Spawn. They would hiss and mooooaaaaan the second I walked into the room

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted