Low use/High Dollar Guns

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by shottist2, Jul 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I see the guns as a type of collectible. I used to collect watches, and it's the same kind of thing.

jfrey and wrmiller like this.
  2. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I think a lot of it is also the chase. I see a lot of guys lusting after a gun, finally getting one for the right price just to turn around the next month and sell it off to buy the next gun they’re lusting after.

KMAC, Fred_G, switchback and 12 others like this.

3. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I have three pistols that were expensive for me, they get shot/carried, a lot, and I don't like the word collection, I prefer the term the Leftmedia uses, Arsenal. Sounds better to me. Or Ordnance Depot with Ammunition Dump. Or weapons cache, or...

rmac, Fred_G, switchback and 3 others like this.
  4. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    I'm a shooter not a collector. I purchased my only 1911 at the beginning of May and already have 4500 rounds through it. If I had 20 1911's it would be hard to shoot them all. I've cut back my AR-15 collection to a half dozen because owning 2 dozen rifles I never used was a little much. I also own a fair collection of Glocks and other pistols that get used pretty frequently. I also like automatic watches, but I only own 2 and wear one daily. I also bought a Challenger Hellcat. Some guys keep them locked in their garage. I'm driving the piss out of mine. Collecting is fine, just not my thing. We never know how long we have so we might as well enjoy the things we have today.

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Well, this is an interesting thread. I have several very nice "shooters" that I've barely shot, and would like to thin the herd, but in looking through the classifieds I felt I was in the wrong place...I mean who would even look at a pristine 9mm SA RO, or 45acp RO Elite Target, or a Para P-16 or Glock 35??? Maybe if I eventually sell the whole lot for the price of one of the "bespoke" custom builds? I fancy myself as a shooter, but maybe I'm actually a hoarder!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  6. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Who in their right mind would own more than a couple of guns at any one time..... let alone not shoot them??????????????

I've NEVER been accused of having my mind right........... so I guess I'm not qualified to ask OR answer that question.

OldCuz, SVG, JM44 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Looking back on things I really wish I would have shot them more often before they were all lost in the boating accident. Boy oh boy I wish I still had them.

switchback, FWoo45, Whiten and 3 others like this.
  8. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    Whomever originally made that comment obviously doesn’t belong on this forum and should have their membership revoked. We are “Addicts” after all.

esmith1721 and Roehl like this.
  9. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Tastes change over the years. A guy may send a gun off to a well known gunsmith....may take several years to get it back, only to find his taste has changed so he sends off another gun to have it built and sells the one that recently returned. Such is the addiction...and why our classified section is better than gunbroker.

10. jfrey

jfrey Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 10, 2012
    My dad was retired military and was never a "pistol guy" I guess because he had to carry one for so long and only saw one use for it. He thought a man only needed one good rifle, and maybe a shotgun. If he saw my collection today he would probably think it is a waste of money, but even my wife sees it as an investment. If you are a regular on this forum you probably have your own collection and most, if not all of us, collect for a reason. We enjoy guns.

limbkiller and bnaples like this.
  11. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Stamp collectors don't lick and use their rare stamps for postage either.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    sawman556, Cop_Out, wrmiller and 3 others like this.
  12. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    20200623_152347.jpg This one is always with me. It wasn't an Uber expensive full build but its irreplaceable in my eyes. Still, always on my hip.

River runner, Dub, Fred_G and 10 others like this.
  13. SVG

SVG Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I've got a range on my property and I still haven't shot every gun I own.

gps man, FWoo45 and wrmiller like this.
  14. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I like 1911s and own several. But I'm a shooter. Should I find another forum to hang out before you guys hang me from a nearby tree? :)

Dub, simonp, SVG and 2 others like this.
  15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I have a feeling you have more than a couple and are always welcome here. I enjoy reading your build threads and who couldn’t like a guy that likes STI’s.

gps man and wrmiller like this.
  16. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I dont really consider myself a collector. I have shot every gun in my safes. I do have dozens and dozens of handguns so it may take quite some time to shoot a particular gun again.

17. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I like 1911s. And I like 2011s. If I had to choose only one or the other, I'd be hard pressed to do so. Fortunately, I've not been forced to make that decision.

Now if I was still working, I'd have a few safes full of all manner of guns! :D

gps man likes this.
  18. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I would consider unloading a few if I could retire!

19. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Never could wrap my head around the high dollar/low mileage/quick turnaround guns, especially when you factor in the loss of $$. I shoot what I own a lot. Guns are made to be shot not fondled for me. To each his own.

Dub, Rick McC. and wrmiller like this.
  20. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I was forced into early retirement. It wasn't by choice. :(

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted