Low use/High Dollar Guns

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by shottist2, Jul 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Nah... stick around. You are an asset to the forum.

Dub, FWoo45, OldCuz and 3 others like this.
  2. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Ha! Love it. I bought a python three years ago. The gentleman I bought it from said “ you’re not going to shoot it are you?” I sent him a video of me shooting it two hours later.

rmac, limbkiller, Amp Mangum and 16 others like this.

3. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I didn't start buying 1911s until after I retired..... Now a may have to go get a job to keep them... :eek::eek::eek:
    Me working again would NOT be a pretty sight. :roflmaro:

4. Coyote6974

Coyote6974 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Most generally I shoot every gun I buy within an hour or two of getting it home. There was a time though were I thought I needed to acquire a blue steel pinned and recessed S&W model 29 in each of the original barrel lengths. I've since sold off all of them with the exception of the 4 inch. I sometimes carry it along when I deer hunt, and have killed a couple does with it. Never fired the others so I sold them. I learned I'm not really a collector. I also sold off all my other S&W revolvers with the exception of the 29 and a K-22. I just can't stand to own something I don't use.
    While I own several 1911s' that I have a bit of money in, I shoot them all. I also keep a few AR's and some bolt action hunting rifles. I seldom use the bolt rifles much but several of them are associated with some great memories, so I keep them.

Old Rooster and Rick McC. like this.
  5. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Where the heck is @OldCuz in this discussion ?

Dub, FWoo45, OldCuz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    For me, and I believe many others, it is the inability to find what one is looking for in a lgs. Sometimes you have to buy a few unseen guns with various options to find what you really love. And as @bnaples pointed out tastes change.

Just because you get rid of one in near pristine condition doesn't make it a bad gun. It just makes it something a little different from what you really want. Of course there's the old saying. For every hot girl, there's a guy who's tired of her sheet.

limbkiller, gps man, FWoo45 and 7 others like this.
  7. DWdude

DWdude Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2019
    I am lucky enough to have a collection with safe queens and shooters. I get enjoyment out of just holding and looking at the ones I don't shoot as well as shooting the ones in the rotation. I think it is OK to do either/neither or both.

8. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Lynching has been banned on the internet!;)

wrmiller likes this.
  9. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Funny, this question comes up every 2-3 months from a new member when they discover the site and the classifieds. The answers are generally the same. There are collectors, investors, flippers, shooters and mixtures of all the above on this site. If you can afford it, it makes you happy and its not yet illegal - then go for it.

For me, I wish I could collect but I dont have the money to buy all the guns I want, then theres that nasty rub of living in Kalifornia at present that also limits me. What I do acquire though, gets shot and shot often, holstered, carried and taken to classes.

Dub, FWoo45, DWdude and 2 others like this.
  10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Does Hi-Point have a custom shop?

Old Rooster, rmac, Greg75 and 4 others like this.
  11. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    That would fit my budget right now!

Dub and Raylan Givens like this.
  12. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I shoot my guns. I can not collect, as I can not afford it on top of my family/living expenses. I don’t have any custom 1911’s at this time. I do however fall into this group sometimes, because I like to experiment. Any very little use guns I have are either older than I am, or they are an experiment to see whether or not I like this or that.

I also think some on here have a shear number of guns, that sometimes leads to one gun getting shuffled to the back and forgotten about. Then, when “rediscovered”, one might say, meh, I’ve lived without it for this long, why not ship it and buy something else??

13. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    If you are like me you have a gun that you really enjoy carrying, shooting, don't mind using, etc. Because of that you don't shoot or carry the pricer gun(s) (even if the gun you are using is pricy itself), and overtime it becomes 'low use/high dollar'. Not because you purposefully chose for it to be a safe queen, but just out of happenstance, familiarity with your go-to, etc, you leave it in the safe when going out on the town or to the range. Then in the meantime another squirrel runs by before the 'low use/high dollar' piece can become a go-to, and in the heat of the moment letting it go is the most advantageous way possible to get the next one.

14. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Sometimes they get sold because they are badass and a damn shame to let them sit in a safe.

15. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    :thumbs:

I can relate.

Also agree.

I sense a bit of hostility. :careful: I'll start where you ended.
    "To each his own" Look at the top of my post. "however look at the website you are on "1911 addicts" That pretty much sums it up right there.

...and I've never lost money on a 1911 sell.

I can relate to most of you. Those of you that can't understand do yourself a favor, don't try to.

Definition of addict
    1: one exhibiting a compulsive, chronic, physiological or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, behavior, or activitya drug addictopioid addictsa gambling addict
    2: one strongly inclined to do, use, or indulge in something repeatedly

Have a nice day. :grin:

simonp likes this.
  16. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’m the guy that likes to buy the guns that have only been to the range once and shot 100 rounds or less, and then I carry and shoot the sh*t out of them.:thumbs:

17. OldCuz

OldCuz So, I held this 1911 and then.... Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Smart man.

Badabing11 and retrieverman like this.
  18. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Several years ago now I came to the realization that I just wasn't a "collector". The kind that just keeps a log book of what is owned and NEVER shoots them, I shot everything. Even the early unhardened 1911s and a 1st gen blackpowder frame Colt SAA got shot. But they got shot only a little and as time went on, my tastes changed and I let all the early more "collectible pieces go to new homes.

Oddly enough, the Colt SAA 1st gen blackpowder frame 45colt revolver, lettered to 1874mfg, just came back up for sale locally. I really wish I had gotten that king of jing when I sold it.
    I don't name things. Pickups, motorcycles, etc, but that one got named by me "old habits", its a long story and perhaps one day I'll take the time to tell it here at addicts

TheCollector and cgff like this.
  19. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    collector, acquirer, shooter, flipper, guilty. I have a core few that get shot carried and are not trade/flip fodder. May sound strange but it’s more of a connection thing on what stays and goes
    ABout six weeks ago I got one of those pistols back that I let go in a fleeting miss judgement.
    (Thank you Steve Owens) Carried it IWB no holster but via heavy leather lace with the ends tied in a loop on the belt.
    Who needs a stinking holster.

DWdude and TheCollector like this.
  20. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    This is exactly how to was between my Grandfather and myself. He had a 22 rifle, a 35 Remington for dear and bear, a 20 gauge shotgun, and the 1911 he carried in WWII. Whenever I’d come home with a new rifle, he’d always ask if this one would kill a deer any deader than the last one I bought. Lol.

switchback, limbkiller and FWoo45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted