Lower receiver question

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by Hubbabubba, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Hubbabubba

Hubbabubba Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I have decided to build a PCC for shooting in IDPA competitions. I know it has to have a 16" barrel for PCC division. Here is my question...if I buy a 9mm lower and register it as a pistol can I still use it with a 16" barrel as a rifle. This way I can also buy a short barrel and use it with a brace as a pistol. I know I can't do it the other way and put a short barrel on a lower registered as a rifle. Thanks

2. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    What do you mean register it as a pistol? Unless your state requires it, what and with whom would you be registering a pistol to?
    Federally, there's no problem there- This only becomes an issue if the lower was registered as a rifle lower when it left the manufacturer (meaning you bought it as a complete rifle). Other than that, build away, put whatever barrel you want on it as long as you use a brace and don't use a vertical foregrip.
    Now if you live in a state like MI, or another state that requires you register your pistols, well, then you might get into some hot water if you don't register it with your LEO office first as a pistol.
    Some states are even goofier, like MI, where a SBR with an overall length of 26" or less when the stock is collapsed into its shortest configuration must be registered locally as a pistol, even though it's federally recognized as a rifle. This works in your favor, though, if you for some reason want to CCW a SBR in MI. Because, well, according to the FUDDS in MI, it's a pistol.
    Confused yet?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

3. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    Long story short from my understanding is if you buy a stripped lower it is registered as other. Once you attach a stock it is now a rifle and it stays a rifle unless you sbr it it must have a 16in or longer barrel. If you attach a pistol brace on it it can have whatever upper you want.

4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Aside from legalities, there will be issues with a 9mm lowers compatibility with a rifle (cartridge) upper; the 9mm pistol is a blowback gun- with(usually) modifications to the frame to allow for HEAVY buffer and other internal mods.

5. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    He’s not saying he wants so use a rifle cartridge, he’s saying he’s want a PCC. Nothing wrong with a 16” 9mm barrel. If it’s a 9mm lower it can’t be turned into a rifle cartridge anyway. The magwell won’t be designed for that- only Uzi/Colt, Glock or proprietary mags for that specific brand will work.
    Only time a 16” bbl creates an issue is when shooting with subs. The extra length can easily get a sub round up to sonic. Particularly an issue when going through a can.

gaijin likes this.
  6. Hubbabubba

Hubbabubba Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Please let me clarify. IDPA requires a PCC to be 16". It was my understanding that if you are going to put a barrel less than 16" on an AR platform, it has to be registered as a pistol and you must use a brace. I want to be able to use a dedicated 9mm lower for either. If I register it as a pistol but use it with a 16" barrel is that an issue? When the gun is not being used for IDPA, I want to be able to throw a 7.5 barrel and a brace on it as a truck gun. ThAnks for all the replies. If I wasn't so cheap, I would be two lowers and have one of each.

7. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    Again, what are you talking about regarding registering a pistol? To who? And why?

8. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    A pistol lower allows you to put whatever length upper on it you desire, with the appropriate “brace”.

9. Hubbabubba

Hubbabubba Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Where I live, pistols have to be registered and if you don't have a CCW there is a three day waiting period.

10. pscipio03

Mar 11, 2013
    That’s a state law, not federal. You’re asking a federal NFA question, which has absolutely nothing to do with state level shenanigans

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted