1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here for your enjoyment are a few photos of my Government Model 1911 serial number C 127753 made in 1921. It came with a 1944-dated Boyt Holster inscribed with the owner's name/rank and serial number (assume it's US Army): Lt/Maj H. Michaels 01039471. It's shown with reproduction box and vintage box of Wincheter 230-grain .45 ACP ammo adapted to the Government Model. Per Colt Archive letter this pistol was 1 of 10 shipped to Schoverling, Daly & Gales NY. NY on February 16, 1921. Are there any on-line resources to get information on Maj. Michaels by tracking his service number?
Gun Firearm Trigger White Gun accessory
Artifact
Grey Playstation accessory Home game console accessory Playstation 3 accessory Trigger

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
8,770 Posts
Q: Are there any databases comprehensive listings of World War I veterans organized by State?

A: Yes, both online and published. Here are a few examples:

Print

Q: How can I find out more about my late relative’s disability payments and benefits?

A: Contact a Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) office in your vicinity to determine if a World War I veteran received a pension or other government benefits.

Q: My relative was a mechanic in the Air Service. How do I find his unit?

A: Documentation on personnel serving in the Air Service is normally found among the rosters included in Gorrell’s History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917-1919, entry 644, Record Group 120. This history has been microfilmed by NARA on 58 rolls as publication M990 and is available for examination in the Microfilm Research Room at the National Archives in Washington, D.C., or for purchase from the National Archives Trust Fund. [From NARA]

Dedicated To:

Online Resources For the Genealogical Researcher
From the United States World War One Centennial Commission
A quick guide on researching United States WW1 military genealogy

From the National Archives:
General Information on Researching Military Records

Information on U.S. WWI Records

Download Standard Form 180

Impact of the 1973 Fire

At Cyndi’s List:
World War I Sites for Genealogical Researchers

By Lynna Kay Shuffield:
World War I Burial Case Files

By Lynna Kay Shuffield:
Statement of Service Cards

World War I Draft Registration Cards at:
Ancestry.com (subscription required)

or at

Familysearch.org (free site)

Record of Service Forms (Discharge Cards) at Order of the First World War

From the American Battle Monuments Commission:
Database of 33,000 U.S. WWI Burials in Europe

From the Department of Veteran Affairs:
VA Cemetery Grave Locator

From the U.S. Army:
World War I: The U.S. Army Overseas

From Marty Beatty:
America and the Akins Family Lose a Son

Comprehensive Information On the Purple Heart, Including Requests by Families for Awards
see the Wikipedia entry for the Purple Heart

By Constance Potter:
The Gold Star Mothers Program

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Another unicorn. We have a unicorn rancher in our midst.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is there any evidence to suggest that he did carry this pistol? A lot of holsters were inscribed with names, and holsters are available at just about any gun show. Did this pistol and holster come from the estate or family of Michaels? Have you even been able to determine who Michaels actually was? If you are starting from scratch with only a pistol and holster with no known history, that may be a real struggle to turn up proof of anything.

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
8,770 Posts
Is there any evidence to suggest that he did carry this pistol? A lot of holsters were inscribed with names, and holsters are available at just about any gun show. Did this pistol and holster come from the estate or family of Michaels? Have you even been able to determine who Michaels actually was? If you are starting from scratch with only a pistol and holster with no known history, that may be a real struggle to turn up proof of anything.
At this point I don't think there is established linkage between the pistol and the holster.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the connection is circumstantial but in many cases you work with what you have. I got the pistol several years ago on Gunbroker or Auction Arms for under a Grand and can't find the original listing (probably too long ago for retention on the sight) and as the saying goes, bought the gun and not the story. I've found on line searchable Official Army Register for WWII years (the data base includes registers for WWI also) and didn't find Michaels listed. Maybe the Registers don't list all officers since they didn't list my two uncles who were WWI and WWII US Army officers even though I have their service records, photos etc. ANyway it'll be an interesting research project.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.