close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lubricating

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by *NOVA*, Sep 12, 2011.

1. *NOVA*

*NOVA* Member

Sep 11, 2011
    New to this site. Already did an intro. My owner's manual for the SW1911 shows only 4 points where one drop of oil is applied along both ends of the slide rails. Assuming most folks agree there is a break-in period of a minimum 500 rounds for most 1911's, does anyone recommend applying oil or lubricant anywhere else, such as guide rod, links, etc.? I have only put 150 rounds through it and had frequent FTF's.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's where I use lubrication

Barrel where it meets the bushing
    Where the bushing meets the slide
    On the full length guide rod.
    Barrel hood
    On the barrel locking lugs
    Barrel link pin
    On top of the disconnector
    On the hammer where it meets the sear
    Frame and slide rails.

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I apply oil in three places.. Muzzle, butt and everywhere in-between. Steel loves oil.. If it drips, wipe some off.. Cheers.. Ron

4. doc.lonestar

doc.lonestar Texas CHL Instructor

Sep 11, 2011
    Just about sums it up - I find that my 1911 likes to be run a little on the wet side. Also, if it is a new firearm - did you do a good cleaning before hitting the range? IMHO it is vital to do a little cleaning to wipe off the extra packing grease/oil manufacturers use to retard rust for transport. This can get a little "cakey" with some because they really slather it on. By removing it and reapplying with a quality oil or grease you have now helped yourself out a lot for your first range visit.

Be Safe,
    Doc

***added - I also found wilsons break down book for a refresher course for me. Had not shot or maintained a 1911 in almost 15 years. Picked up from Brownells. Good pictures to help out with cleaning lubing.***

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Not everyone agrees with what I'm about to say, but I'll say it anyhow.. 25 years working in metallurgy (Engineering research) taught me a few things..

After giving it a good cleaning with solvent (I use shooters Choice, but any will work). I mist the entire pistol (all parts) with a light weight gunoil that has a VPCI (vapor phase corrosion inhibitor) component and rub in in by hand. I use RemOil for this purpose and it will mostly evaporate in 30 minutes or so. I then swab the bore with a mop to remove any runoff and insure it gets a light coating as well. When reassembling I use FP-10 to lubricate any contact surfaces well. When everything is back together, I'll rack and cycle the pistol a few times to push out any excess and wipe that off.. That'll keep it safe and running everytime. If it's a carry pistol, I'll follow that by wiping the outside down with a silicone cloth. That'll keep your holster and shirt clean.. Ron

6. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Yep, my girlfriend agrees with Ron....."Muzzle, butt and everywhere in-between".........and of course, "If it drips, wipe some off...".................

[​IMG]

tw (Opps, you're talking about guns. Sorry about that.) :biggrin1:

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    hahahahaha.. thyere ya-go.. Ron

8. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    I used to know a guy way back who had a Browning HP. He used to dip the entire gun into a bucket of motor oil, after removing the mag. Then he would hang it over the bucket from a wire, for 10-20 hrs.That was pretty much what his firearms maintenance cooked down to.
    However, thats not how I clean my guns.
    Always been a cleaning freak myself. I have come to believe, it's more important how and when you clean your firearm, than the actual products being used. Never understood why some are conserned about "dirty" powder etc. First off, I know all my custom guns can run over 500 to 1000 rds. wheter being lead or jacketed. But I'm not really conserned about it, since I clean them everytime they're used anyway.
    It somehow impressed me back in the service, when I saw dry and dirty pistols keep shooting and shooting.

9. *NOVA*

*NOVA* Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Wow! So many repies in just a short amount of time. Think I'm gonna like this site! BTW, yes I did field strip and clean the gun IAW the owner's manual before taking it to the range. OK, thanks everyone I've got a good idea how to do it now.

10. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  11. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    This is pretty much my routine for CLP, and I use medium SlideGlide on the rails. :thumb:

12. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
  13. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Hey limb, what's so damn funny?

tw

14. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Glad to hear.

You won't find a better 1911 forum anywhere.

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Come and listen to a story about a man named Quack
    A poor damn yankee, barely kept his family fed,
    Then one day he was shootin at some food,
    And up through the ground came a bubblin crude

Oil that is, black gold, 1911 tea..

Well the first thing you know ol Quack's an addict
    Kinfolk said "Quack get yourself a Baer"
    Said "CJ1911 heaven is the place you ought to be"
    So they loaded up the truck and moved to Berryville.

Wilson's Brown's and others with no names... On to Idaho the young man said...
    There must be some pistolies there.. that aren't tupperware!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  16. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    This.

17. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Quack's post seems pretty solid to me.

I'd add that using a heavier product on the lugs, like a grease, wouldn't necessarily hurt. It's a pretty high stress area.

Good thread. :thumb:

Andy

18. *NOVA*

*NOVA* Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Thank God! I thought limbkiller was laughin at how ignorant I am bout 1911's!

19. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Don't listen to Limb. He probably lubes with fresh deer blood. :nod:

20. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Good point Andy! Speaking of using a grease, as of yet I've not used any grease on my 1911's, Sig's and others yes. I use slide glide on them. Does anybody here use it on their 1911's? I was giving some thought to using slide glide lite on the 1911's. Our temp range here for use would be between mostly 60-95 degrees. Used a a light application on the heavier used friction points..

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted