LW CCO/RMR/X300U - How the heck did I end up here?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by theJanitor, May 24, 2019.

1. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Here's what my CCW pistol has morphed into. Explanation to follow a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this should be the final iteration of my carry 1911, until I scrape up enough dough to order a Railed LW CCO from wilson with the True Zero optic mounting system.

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted to migrate from a steel 5" 1911, to a lighter weight version. At the same time I had a need to change my carry style. For years, I had a gov't model colt, carried in a quality (Andrews, Garrity, Sparks) rig, at 3:30. One day an police officer told me that I needed a holster that hid my pistol better. This shocked me, because I thought I had a very discreet system. So I parked the 1911's for a pocket-carried 642 while I sorted things out. At this point, I decided that I should give AIWB a real shot, and went head first looking for a rig to carry my Colts. I bought a myriad of holsters at great expense (Garrity, TT, JM, Spencer's, JRC watson special and CDAII). SLG helped me get into a SME, and I bought another SME from Bolke. I bought holsters for G19, G17, and G34's too. in the end, I decided that the slimness of the 1911 was better for AIWB, but my pistols were just too big and heavy.

Enter the Wiley Clapp CCO. I wanted a CCO for AIWB carry, and the clapp is just the best deal in Colt 1911's right now. $1100 gets a nicely finished aluminum frame, checkering, high cut frontstrap, rounded and chekered MSH, beveled magwell, BTGS, and Novak sights. Colt could charge a few hundred dollars more, and the pistol would still have value. I first fitted a Novak thumb safety and an aluminum trigger, just because I can't use the factory safety and I had those parts in my parts bin. Next, I ordered the flatwire recoil spring kit from Nighthawk and paired it with a NH barrel bushing too. All these pieces fitted in easily and didn't need a gunsmith.

[​IMG]

Then in 2016, I had some serious vision issues. I'm already blind in my left eye, the result of a blown out retina in 1982. I severely tore the right retina and went in for a scleral buckle and a vitrectomy procedure. I was unable to see for several weeks, and was not able to work for three months. The Victrectomy also resulted in severe cataract clouding in my right eye. I went through a cataract procedure in early 2017 that wasn't as successful as I had hoped. I was then fitted for bifocals. Going from 20/20 vision to using a magnifying glass to read the newspaper was a huge shock, but not being able to see my front sight was completely disheartening. I figured shooting was not in the cards for me. I actually sold off half of my pistols (mostly out of sadness), and most of my rifles (due to an aversion of recoil) during the next few months, as I came to realize that I couldn't see a target, nor could I aim reliably.

My brother, who was just getting serious about pistol shooting, builds a Roland Special. His eyes are **** too (thanks, Dad), and he knew the answer. A RMR shows up on my desk one day, and he tells me to call Nighthawk custom and ask them if they can install it on one of my 1911's. I did. Bob Reeves at NH told me to send everything in, and I was set, except for choosing what 1911 to use. In the end, I chose the CCO for a couple of reasons. First, was that the CCO was such a great carry gun, that it only made sense to use it as the host, second, it was the cheapest 1911 I owned, and if I didn't like it, at least I didn't ruin a favorite custom. I also asked NH to clean up the slide's rollmarks, and sharp edges, and finish it in nitride. They did a great job and in a couple of months, I got this:

[​IMG]

The RMR was a revelation, as I could finally aim reliably AND see what I was aiming at! I was so relieved, that I had Jagerworks install two more RMR's on gen3 glocks that I had.

Summer of 2018, i fought a battle with tendinitis in my right arm. Brushing my teeth was hard, and shooting a 45 was just not gonna happen. I had found that when I was shooting the Glocks alot, the pain flared up more. I wanted to shoot a 1911, but the recoil of the 45 was just as painful. I negotiated to buy a 9mm Wilson from @StraitR, and it was a godsend. Along ith some intense PT, the low recoil, and comforatble grip of the 1911, resulted in very little pain. The problem with that gun was thhe grip. It was a full frame, with a magwell, and it was steel. It was just too damn heavy and long to conceal. Wilson doesn't make flush mags for their full size guns, so it became even longer with the huge baseplates. @M2CattleCo turned me on to some flush fit mags, but I couldn't get a standard MSH fit onto the pistol without having the whole thing reworked at Wilson.

[​IMG]

In the end, I traded the gun for the Wilson EDC X9. It is the PERFECT carry size 9mm 1911, IMO.

[​IMG]

Holsters for the X9 turned out to be a problem and a solution for AIWB carry. There were no readily available holsters for the X9. Enter the PHLSTER FLOODLIGHT. It's a universal-type holster for pistols with an attached weaponlight. I figured that I would get one, and even though I needed to attach a light, at least it was a holster that would fit the gun until I could get a dedicated holster made. Turns out, that I was more comfortable carrying the X9 with the X300, than any other pistol/holster combo I had!

By January 2019, my cataracts has re-emerged with horrible effect. I couldn't see much through them, and resorted to using a magnifying glass AND my bifocals just to read. I underwent a YAG laser capsulotomy, and the improvement to my vision was immense. Front sights weren't clear yet, but at least I could see them.

Right about this time, @newyork and a few others are telling me that the DarkStar Rigel is the most comfortable pistol/weaponlight rig around, so I order one, and turns out, the X9 fits in there really good:

[​IMG]

I thought I could opt out of using the RMR, and I would give the X9 some time. Well it turns out, that the RMR is still likely the best solution for me. And while I shoot the X9 ok, I'm not as good with it as I am a standard 1911. So I had a couple of choices:

-Buy a pistol in the configuration I wanted (LW, CCO, RMR, Light rail, 9mm) - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME
    -Build one in the configuration I wanted - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE & TIME CONSUMING
    -Find someone to install a RMR on my X9 - I couldn't sink another $1000 in the gun if I don't shoot it great. In the end, I think Wilson will get this pistol for the optic install, unless @StraitR wants it

In the end, I opted to try and get a light rail installed on my CCO. It was cost effective, since the gun was already cut for the optic, and it was already vetted for reliability. I contacted Steve at MARS and asked if he'd make an exception and install the light rail intended for a gov't model on a commander sized LW frame. He makes small runs of the rails and adapters for the X300, in the same pattern as the old Daswon system. He said he'd evaluate it if I sent in the gun. He thinks this frame was thick enough to be durable. so we went ahead with the install. I told him that I'd keep him abreast of the health of the system, as it's not installed on the optimal frame. I don't know how willing he will be to do repeat this install. But, I think it turned out perfect for what I need, a lightweight, compact, 1911, with a RMR, and a light, carried in a very comfortable DSG rig. I couldn't be happier

Whiskey Sour, simonp, gaijin and 15 others like this.
  2. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014

3. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Great write up!!

cwoods likes this.
  4. Greg6640

Greg6640 John 14:6 Supporting Addict

Apr 20, 2015
  5. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Looks like an RM06.

I'm curious to see how well received this is on this forum... Personally, I like it and want to imitate it, though maybe with a Dan Wesson TCP in 9mm.

6. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014
    It's not pretty. but it meets the requirements for what I need in a 1911 carry pistol:

• compact
    • LW
    • RM06
    • X300U
    • not $4000
    As I said above, if I could afford to order what I want, it would be a Wilson LW CCO with a rail, in 9mm. If I can get up to speed on the EDC X9, then all I need is the Wilson True Zero system installed. I'd be perfectly happy with that, in lieu of ordering a whole new gun

The TCP from DW looks like a perfect base for the RMR install as well.

simonp likes this.
  7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    @theJanitor
    This was a great write up, thanks for sharing your experience. It has me wondering about a pistol mounted red dot.
    I think it's awesome that you've overcome the obstacles that were thrown at you. In spite of everything, you still found a way, and kept shooting.
    To me, that is the definition of a dedication.
    Being a shooter, and an individual with a real passion for firearms is just a bonus!
    -"Where there is a will, there is a way."

I have very little experience with Micro Red Dots, but I wonder how they would be for an individual with astigmatism? I'm assuming just like a standard Aimpoint, or MRO? At close range I don't think it would matter as much as trying to shoot at distance.
    I too have poor eyesight due to a medical condition when I was very young, so I'm always looking for gadgets, and gear that makes shooting easier & better for me.

simonp and azpoolguy like this.
  8. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014
    I have astigmatism, as you can imagine. My eyes are far from being round, and clear. the RMR dot doesn't magnify astigmatisms, nearly as much as an aimpoint t1. I have no time behind a MRO

as you can see from my iphone pic above, the dot is as round as can be

deadguy likes this.
  9. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    Apparently the way you see dots with an astigmatism and the way I see dots are going to be different. I see a solid dot with a starburst around it. Some people see a comma type dot.

I've had experience with the RMR 3.25 MOA dot. The RM01 and the RM06. The adjustable brightness helps me see less of a starburst. Dimmer is better (to a point, then the dot gets washed out).

I've also heard a smaller dot has a smaller distortion, though I haven't had a chance to try this out.

I'd recommend it if you put time into learning the dot.

10. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I like your CCO. I used to have fantastic vision all around. In the last 10 years I’ve had to get stronger and stronger reading glasses, so seeing open sights has gotten worse and worse. I can still shoot open sights pretty good out to about 30 feet. I had tube type red dots on .22 target pistols, and they worked great and I shoot red dot sights fantastic at all ranges. Most of my centerfire pistols now have mini red dots on them. I don’t carry much and my carry gun is a PPQ with open sights, but I can switch slides around and give it a red dot.
    However, I shoot nothing as well as I do a 1911 and now with several years and thousands and thousands of rounds through them I’m getting comfortable with the idea of carrying one. I’m leaning towards a single stack Dan Wesson, an EDC X9 or an STI DVC Carry HOST. The STI looks like a fantastic carry gun. I like the idea of being able to run it with or without a red dot.
    Jeff

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I should clarify, I meant that I have little experience handgun optics like the RMR, Deltapoint, Vortex Viper/Venom. I did run a Trijicon MRO Green Dot on my rifle for a while. I found the green to be better for my eyes compared to red. I would like to try an Amber reticle like a Deltapoint PRO. I can see the advantages of a dot on a handgun. Like most things in life, I believe it's all about training, and putting time in with your gear.

I'd like to try a 3.25 MOA, or smaller.

Leadslinger585 likes this.
  12. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I have several Vortex Venoms and a DeltaPoint PRO. The DPP has a bigger window and a crisper dot, at least to me, and in competition circles is considered fairly tough. If I were to put one on a carry gun it would be a Trijicon because there’s nothing tougher. Best to shoot as many different types as you can before buying one.
    Jeff

Bloodhound likes this.
  13. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Thanks for sharing your story.

I’m a huge fan of the RMR and will have one on every pistol I carry and shoot from now on.

14. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    I have great eye sight and never knew I had an astigmatism until I bought my first RMR and thought it was broken. Then I did some research on it and read about taking a picture of the dot and looking at the picture. The dot was perfectly round when I took a picture of it. My dot looks like it is growing roots. But if I spin the RMR around the roots always point down.

When doing dry fire and learning to acquire the dot on the presentation I would notice the dot blooming. But once I learned of the target focus and proper presentation of the gun the more I focused on the target I never noticed the dot not being round. I have never noticed it at the range in actual live fire.

I shoot the 6.5 MOA dot. However I’m thinking of buying the 3.25 MOA dot for my 2011 build.

deadguy, cwoods and Leadslinger585 like this.
  15. Barstool Aviator

Barstool Aviator "Select Zone 5 and engage...."

Feb 25, 2016
    How do you like the recoil impulse of the .45ACP round with the LW frame? Is it subdued at all with the RMR and X300U?

16. Leadslinger585

Aug 6, 2017
    I have a RM08G and it's interesting because I can see a very crisp triangle. Depending on how much light there is I may see a kind of smoky effect on the bottom right angle. So shape is also another factor to consider.

Anyway...

Sorry for the thread derail, this has short of turned into a RDS + astigmatism thread.

17. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Great write up. Thanks.

18. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Great info here for us blind guys.

If i go the RDS route on a pisto (leaning heavily that way)l, I'm going to try to find each RDS I'm considering and see how my eyes interpret the reticles.

19. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014
    I know that we've been brought up, especially with irons, to desire a perfect sight picture. but with the RDS, that's not really the point. Focusing on the target, whether an assailant, a B8 at 25, or a gong at 100, is. There will be more shaking and wobble for you to manage, that the shape of the dot won't become a factor. For you guys with astimatism, like me, dot size and brightness are what gets adjusted.

Pick the MRDS that suits your "operational" needs, and worry less about the shape of the dot

azpoolguy, deadguy and gps man like this.
  20. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    That is one Hell of a journey bro.
    Best wishes!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted