1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Grip Maker and FFL Dealer
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share my initial experience with the M&P 2.0 Compact I just bought. This has been the first M&P I’ve ever shot. I was deciding between it and the CZ P10C and opted for the M&P just based on it being a longer proven platform. Both guns felt great in the hand and point naturally for me.

I’ve put 250 rounds through my gun so far and I’ve 6 failure to feeds using the factory mags. The round goes up the ramp, but gets hung up before it can change to the horizontal direction. It’s not a double feed because the mag drops out easily. I can pull the slide back a hair and let it go and it will chamber the round just fine. I’ve not been happy about that, but figured I would give it a couple hundred more rounds and see if this issue will work itself out. I also took some Flitz polish and used a Dremel to polish that feed ramp to a mirror shine.

The other thing I’m not crazy about is the trigger. It measures at exactly 6lbs after the 250 rounds and countless dry fires which just seems excessive to me. I think this is the primary cause for my next negative and that is the fact that I simply can’t shoot or transition between targets nearly as fast with this gun. I have to make a conscious effort to really slow down and focus on the trigger press in order to get hits and I’m still missing more than I would with other guns. I’m taking 2 and 3 tries to get a hit after that first miss and that’s not something I normally do.

I know I can put the Apex trigger in the gun, but that’s another $150. Overall with the failures to feed and the fact that I don’t seem to be shooting this gun nearly as well as I’m capable of, I’m honestly not impressed with it. I find myself wondering if I should have went with the CZ.

·
Registered
860 Posts
What ammo are you using that is having the failure to feeds? M&P's track record for reliability is generally pretty good, but my first gen M&P did not like Winchester Ranger T ammo. Switched to Federal HST and had no further issues.

For me the stock trigger is still the weak point of the M&P 2.0. Fortunately the Apex FSS is amazing and worth every cent. That said if you can't get the gun to operate reliably, don't waste the money on the trigger. You may consider reaching out to Smith & Wesson regarding the lack of reliability so far.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
CZs are shooters with great triggers and can also be made even greater with CGW and CZC
Just sayin'

·
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to sound rude but why are you focusing on the trigger instead of the target?
I’m focusing on the front sight actually. I can’t make hits if I take my time and stay on one target. But when I’m picking up the speed and transitioning from one target to the next, I’m missing more than normal and I have a feeling the heavy trigger pull is causing this.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Are the failures to feed all the same situation, such as the same magazine, or feeding the first round?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I like what they did with the 2.0 fire control system, in that it can easily be cleaned up a bit. My preference is to avoid aftermarket trigger systems in a carry/defensive gun, so cleaning up a stock system is of interest to me.

The few I've had were rough around the edges. I few minutes of work gave a smooth, 4.5# break on two of mine.

If you have stones, smoothing the top of the trigger bar where it actuates the firing pin block will greatly smooth takeup. I'm not sure why they leave it so rough, aside from not wanting to add steps in manufacturing. From there, polishing the sear and striker engagement can help as well. Obviously, you don't want to change the factory angles.

·
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What ammo are you using that is having the failure to feeds? M&P's track record for reliability is generally pretty good, but my first gen M&P did not like Winchester Ranger T ammo. Switched to Federal HST and had no further issues.

For me the stock trigger is still the weak point of the M&P 2.0. Fortunately the Apex FSS is amazing and worth every cent. That said if you can't get the gun to operate reliably, don't waste the money on the trigger. You may consider reaching out to Smith & Wesson regarding the lack of reliability so far.
It was a combination of Fiocchi and Armscor 115gr.

·
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the failures to feed all the same situation, such as the same magazine, or feeding the first round?
I didn't mark my mags to know if one was causing them. But I know for certain it was not the same round like a first round of the mag. It would always happen sometime in the middle of the mag.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I’d try another range test with a different brand of ammo. 100 rounds should be enough. S&B, if available, has been 100% in my compact 2.0 9mm. Be sure that your support thumb isn’t making contact with the slide at any time. If it fails, put that mag away and just use the other mag. If it fails using the second mag, you’ve eliminated magazines as the cause. You also shown that it’ll fail with three different ammunition brands. At this point I’d make a call to S&W. They will at least fix it for you before you sell it, presuming you still would. However, if it runs fine with this third brand of ammo, the problem was likely some out of spec rounds from the original Fiocchi or Armscor batch.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Olympus,
Ammunition recommendations, Try some Speer lawman, Win nato 124, or win Service Grade
For a new gun Speer lawman first couple hundred rounds your frustration should disappear.

My experience with Armscor was that it was real accurate but seemed very mild similar with the Fiocchi.

Had a new Sig 226 with a similar issue years ago, good cleaning of the mags seemed to work.

·
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ll definitely be trying some different ammo. I wasn’t expecting this gun to need a “break in” period, but maybe running a few more various kinds of ammo will help smooth things out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've owned 3 M&P's and never had a hiccup. 10K+ rounds 115 gr through 147 gr factory, steel case, and reloads through my CORE without a bobble. IMO, the M&P 1.0 or 2.0 needs an Apex trigger though. A 2.0 compact with a forward set flat Apex trigger is $for$ the best polymer gun on the market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts