1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
The apex trigger kit really takes the MP line to another level. Wouldn't own another MP without an apex kit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great review and very easy read. I am a 1911 guy, but just purchased the Performance Center Shield with enhanced trigger and Hi-Viz sights. With the $75.00 rebate and it was on sell too, I thought it was a bargain. I really like both. The sights really pop and are easy to see. The trigger is way better than the regular shield. I would really like to shoot one with the Apex trigger like yours to see if I think it would be worth the extra money over the performance center. I really didn't care for the ported barrel that much for a carry gun, but doesn't seem to be a problem. I think I will order the Talon Grips after reading the review, maybe try the holster too. Thanks for the in depth review.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Great review Sterling! I agree with your assessments except I’ve had a better result with the thumb safety on my Shield 9. Mine clicks off with the inside of my thumb using essentially the same initial grip/thumb sweep used on a 1911. I suspect you've tried everything but if you haven't tried clicking the thumb safety off using the inside of your thumb, closer to the web of your hand, try it out and see if that works better for you.

My Shield was no more than a paper weight its first year because I couldn't shoot it with any consistency. The front sight would visibly shake when the striker went off even with a tight grip. As a last-ditch effort, I tried the Apex upgrade (kept stock trigger) and the Talon grip panels. What a difference! It's now among my most accurate and consistent shooters within 7 yards. I'm happy I upgraded instead of ditching it. The Shield 9 is a completely different animal now and I plan to Apex upgrade the Shield 45 next.

·
Codename Duchess
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great review and very easy read.
Great review Sterling!
Thanks, guys!

I would really like to shoot one with the Apex trigger like yours to see if I think it would be worth the extra money over the performance center.
I've heard really good things about the PC triggers but haven't gotten my hands on one yet.

I agree with your assessments except I’ve had a better result with the thumb safety on my Shield 9. Mine clicks off with the inside of my thumb using essentially the same initial grip/thumb sweep used on a 1911. I suspect you've tried everything but if you haven't tried clicking the thumb safety off using the inside of your thumb, closer to the web of your hand, try it out and see if that works better for you.
Good to know, thanks.

·
Got bourbon?
201 Posts
SA, which spring are you going to settle on? I plan on getting the same kit and I want to disassemble my Shield just once.

·
Codename Duchess
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SA, which spring are you going to settle on? I plan on getting the same kit and I want to disassemble my Shield just once.
I went with the factory spring to give me the lightest trigger pull. I think the specific part was the trigger return spring.

·
TANSTAAFL
1,771 Posts
So several months down the road, how do you like the Apex setup? Or has the SIG taken all your lovin' attention?:D

The new 2.0 Compact (or whatever it's called) is intriguing because the S&W grip fits me better than a Glock but I have despised the hinged trigger going all the way back to the original Sigmas. If the Apex trigger solves that issue (and it looks like it does), I might have to think harder about a new Smith...

Reactions: Sterling Archer

·
Codename Duchess
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So several months down the road, how do you like the Apex setup? Or has the SIG taken all your lovin' attention?:D
The SIG has taken the majority of my attention since I've been training for an upcoming class with it. But since the Shield is one of my main carry pieces I started shooting it at steel matches to get more trigger time with it.

I'm 1,650 rounds in and loving it. Oddly enough I shoot it more accurately in matches than I do the SIG. A standard steel match if shot perfectly is 125 shots. At last months match with my Shield I used 131, missing 6 shots for the entire match. That put my hit percentage at 95%. With my SIG I've never gotten above 89%.

·
TANSTAAFL
1,771 Posts
Thanks, that gives me something to think about.

If only someone would make an AR lower that took M&P mags...:D

·
TANSTAAFL
1,771 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts