1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The M&P line of S&W rifles seem to be adequate. It seems to be giving you a good start on nice shooter. The 5R barrel should be a bonus. If you are asking about the difference between 308 and 6.5 creedmore, that's a much longer discussion. If I was to get into shooting and reloading today, I would consider the 6.5, but I am heavily invested into the .308, time and money, so I personally would stay with the 308 version.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The M&P line of S&W rifles seem to be adequate. It seems to be giving you a good start on nice shooter. The 5R barrel should be a bonus. If you are asking about the difference between 308 and 6.5 creedmore, that's a much longer discussion. If I was to get into shooting and reloading today, I would consider the 6.5, but I am heavily invested into the .308, time and money, so I personally would stay with the 308 version.
Yeah I'm not invested at all in either caliber and I'm basically looking to have this rifle pick up where my AR15 tops out (~500 yards) and even up to 1,000 yards. If I was to look at a .308, it would likely be Aero Precision. I have yet to see either rifle in person though.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The 6.5 with good optics will get you out to 1000 yard and probably a little beyond. The 308 is a little better at 50y to about 200y in terms of precision accuracy. 300-400 yards, almost identical. Out past 500-600 yards the ballistics on the 6.5 take over and I think gives you a 15% better hit probability. Now with heavy winds, I would go for the 308 175-190 grain for the longer shots. Where I shoot the wind swirls when there is wind, so all bets are off. As far as optics, I see a lot of my buddies with that Vortex Razor HD gen II 4.5-27 x 56, You could go Nightforce for 3x the price, but the Vortex will do the job. I find my 20x Leupold is pushing it at the 1000 yard range. Long range shooting is a great hobby, a tad expensive, but cheeper that a Ferrari.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 6.5 with good optics will get you out to 1000 yard and probably a little beyond. The 308 is a little better at 50y to about 200y in terms of precision accuracy. 300-400 yards, almost identical. Out past 500-600 yards the ballistics on the 6.5 take over and I think gives you a 15% better hit probability. Now with heavy winds, I would go for the 308 175-190 grain for the longer shots. Where I shoot the wind swirls when there is wind, so all bets are off. As far as optics, I see a lot of my buddies with that Vortex Razor HD gen II 4.5-27 x 56, You could go Nightforce for 3x the price, but the Vortex will do the job. I find my 20x Leupold is pushing it at the 1000 yard range. Long range shooting is a great hobby, a tad expensive, but cheeper that a Ferrari.
Yeah I'm trying to a do a bunch of research on it, it's meant to be a good general-purpose rifle that has the capability to reach out. It will likely come down to ammo prices/availability but since the military adopted 6.5, I don't think it will be as big of an issue.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The M&P line of AR’s are the best bang for your buck out there for AR’s ...IMO. ;)
I actually have an M&P15T and I absolutely love it so that's why I've been looking at SW AR10s. I just might the pull the trigger on this one :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts