1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not tried either of these holsters. I'm 5'7 and 175 with a ACW Prime in 45 acp. For someone of my stature do you think that one would work better for me than the other? I know that the VM2 seems to carry a pistol a couple of inches higher than the Criterion. And, that because the pistol sits lower in a Criterion that the muzzle rake or cant is greater.

Or, do you recommend looking at a different holster?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Please take a long look at the Nexus before you decide.
I’ve carried a government in a Nexus since a few months before they went into production, and while 5’ers are all I use it for, it works best for me! Followed very closely by Brommeland’s IWB, then the VM2. It has been my experience that the Nexus feels “right between” those two holsters.
The Criterion is completely uncomfortable on my skinny 6’ frame, for whatever reason.
It is true that my first two choices have no real reinforcement, but that’s not a problem for me.
Resale is too good not to try them, if you can just pony up!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have not tried either of these holsters. I'm 5'7 and 175 with a ACW Prime in 45 acp. For someone of my stature do you think that one would work better for me than the other? I know that the VM2 seems to carry a pistol a couple of inches higher than the Criterion. And, that because the pistol sits lower in a Criterion that the muzzle rake or cant is greater.
You are looking at this the wrong way. How low it sits and the cant are two independent things. One does not cause the other. The Criterion has a lower ride height AND a greater cant than the VMII. If you look at other manufacturers, such as TT Gunleather, they offer models that have the Criterion can’t with the VMII ride height.

The Criterion is very nice. I’m sorry to say, but you’re going to have to buy and try (or borrow one), to see what works, for you. It’s not just the holster. The belt and how your body is shaped are equally as important.

·
born in the wrong century
6,152 Posts
I carry in both Criterions as well as VersaMax2's.......when not carrying in a SummerSpecial2 (which is most of the time).

My suggestion is that you call the folks at Milt Sparks tomorrow morning and talk it over with them. They will be able to help you TREMENDOUSLY.

You can't go wrong with any of their IWB holsters.....and now I'm learning how well the BN55 works as well.

Huge fan of their gear.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I agree with what Dub said. I carry almost all the time in a Criterion. Also have and use VMII’s, an original style SS and a SSII. All are great but depends on what works for you best. Sometimes my mood affects which I choose. OWB is always a 55BN.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The main differences between the VM-2 and Criterion are:

The Criterion rides about a half inch lower and has more rake/cant than the VM-2. Roughly 5 degrees or so more. The Criterion also features magnetic style loops closures (optional on the VM-2) vs traditional snaps.
The VM-2 has a more traditional FBI style rake/cant.

IMO, the Criterion works best with guns in the 4.25" range or smaller. Depending on where you postion the holster and 5" guns, the lower ride height and extra rake may tend to push the muzzle out and may cause minor printing. The extra rake does help pull the grip of the gun in, but because of that, the draw can be slightly compromised as compared to a holster with less rake.

As always, we encourage you to give us a call at the shop as we can answer most questions more in depth and efficiently that way.

NH

·
born in the wrong century
6,152 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'm calling the shop soon!

Just in case you didn't know.....the gentlemen who posted directly above you is one of the magicians with Milt Sparks.

How cool is that ? 👍 👍 👍

His initials are stamped into a couple of my holsters & magazine carriers.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have a Criterion for my Valor (Government) 10mm. It is truly my favorite holster. Now that I have a Valor (Commander) VBOB I ordered a Criterion for that! About a 6 month wait for one direct from MS.

Reactions: Dub and Lineman1982

·
Registered
481 Posts
The main differences between the VM-2 and Criterion are:

The Criterion rides about a half inch lower and has more rake/cant than the VM-2. Roughly 5 degrees or so more. The Criterion also features magnetic style loops closures (optional on the VM-2) vs traditional snaps.
The VM-2 has a more traditional FBI style rake/cant.

IMO, the Criterion works best with guns in the 4.25" range or smaller. Depending on where you postion the holster and 5" guns, the lower ride height and extra rake may tend to push the muzzle out and may cause minor printing. The extra rake does help pull the grip of the gun in, but because of that, the draw can be slightly compromised as compared to a holster with less rake.

As always, we encourage you to give us a call at the shop as we can answer most questions more in depth and efficiently that way.

NH
Excellent post! This should be a sticky.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have the Criterion and VM2 for a commander 1911 and they are both amazing. I also have a Nexus for my MR920L and I love it as well. Milt Sparks marks an amazing holster!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts