M1 Garand ammo

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by KillStick, Feb 18, 2012.

1. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    I have always believed that if you shoot a m1 garand that you us m2 ball ammo or you get a adjustable gas plug. Well I finally got a CMP garand that came with a manual for their rifles stating differently. In the CMP manual it states that if you shoot commercial ammunition it needs to be 180 or less grain weight. This has been conflicting with what I have always believed and shot. What say the brain trust, have I just been over cautious with my other Garand or is this the norm now?

2. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    It's a bit from column A and a bit from column B. The gas system needs to be kept within a certain pressure limits to not overdrive the system and run the risk of bending your op-rod. This is accomplished by shooting ammo that is loaded with powder of an appropriate burn rate and charge weight or you run an adjustable gas plug. The bullet weight comes into play because it takes a higher chamber pressure to drive a heavier bullet at an acceptable velocity, which increases gas port pressures. As you go heavier and heavier, it gets harder to regulate the pressure back down to an acceptable limit.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Buyobuyo nailed it,...........I have a good ammount of M2 Greek surplus & a very small
    stash of Lake City M2. I use Schuster's adjustable gas valve EVEN with the mil surp
    ammunition. It slows the action, resulting in less wear to the op rod, bolt & receiver heel.

4. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    It also doesn't throw the brass as far which is nice. I use a Schuster adjustable gas plug in mine also even though I'm loading within the accepted ranges for the gun.

5. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    The brass collection is a darn good point,......never really though of it.

6. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    I just got my schuster gas plug and am going to give it a whirl with 150 grain core lokt ammunition this weekend.

7. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    A few years back I bought 16POUNDS of surplus ball powder. Combined with Rem 150gr Corloct cannelure bullets the reg valve isn't needed.

Bob

8. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Just remember, you will have to adjust the valve if you change ammo brands.
    They really do work VERY well!

No that is the PERFECT option!

9. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    The schuster plug seemed to work well, but I had to order a new clip latch spring. After about 3 or 4 shots I was getting premature ejections, so the new spring should solve that problem.

10. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    I think I found the problem with early ejection of the clip. Here is the photo of the clip latch spring the new one is on the left, the old one is on the right. There is clearly a difference in resistance once the new one was installed. [​IMG]

11. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    That should do it,.........now ya gotta go shoot it again, darn!

12. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    I know it shot great as usual, just never used a schuster plug before. Its a tough job to go out and shoot it again, but I think I will survive. :rofl2:

13. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    So what do you think of the Schuster's gas plug?
    Reduced felt recoil? Mine actually shoots 1/2" tighter groups with it.

14. KillStick

KillStick Lovin Life

Aug 17, 2011
    The more I got it dialed in the better my groups became, it defiantly feels like it tames the recoil quite well. I will probably stick with 150 gr core loct ammo so i don't have to go playing around with it as much. I figured when the m2 ball stuff comes in I will just put the old plug back in.

15. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    From what I've read, you should tweak the gas plug when changing lots even if it is the same brand/type of ammo.

16. Bender

Aug 15, 2011

Very true,..........

17. billt

billt Member

Mar 7, 2012
    The main thing to remember with autoloading, centerfire rifles, (with the exception of the Browning BAR and the FNAR), is they all require a mid range powder as well as a mid range bullet weight. The problem with most commercial ammunition is you have no idea what powder it is loaded with. Just because it has a mid range bullet, (150 grains or so), does not mean it is also loaded with a mid range powder. A good example are these "Reduced Recoil" cartridges that Remington sells, or the high energy loads Hornady sells. These advertise almost .300 Magnum performance and velocity, from a standard .30-06 rifle. There is only one way either can be achieved, and that is with very slow burning powder.

This is bad medicine for any centerfire autoloader. If you handload there are actual loads listed for both the M-1 Garand, as well as the Springfield M1-A. They are specific loads that will allow the pressure level to drop off sufficiently enough before the gas port is uncovered by the bullet as it passes down the barrel. Federal also sells actual M1-A .308 loads, and M1 Garand .30-06 loads. The problem is they are expensive. I bought 3 cases, (1,440 rounds) of the CMP Greek stuff. The only problem with it is that it is loaded very hot. A lot of Garand owners swear by it, but I found it gives a hard bolt lift in my bolt action .30-06 rifles. Some Garand shooters have had bent Op-Rods with it. At least that is what they reported in a lot of threads. The CMP ammo is no longer a deal. They've raised the price sky high on it. I paid $381.00 delivered. That comes to just $5.29 a box of 20. Now when they have it they want well over double for it. That is way too much for what amounts to 45 year old milsurp ammo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    GREAT post Bill'!

Mmmmmmm spam, my favorite flavor! :nod:

19. paid4c4

paid4c4 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 26, 2011
    M1 Garands is my favorite firearm about equal with the 1911 of course. When I build or buy a Garand I always install a new op rod spring and a Schuster adjustable plug. I generally shoot Greek Surplus from CMP and while it's good ammo as a rule there is still differences in it, so why take a chance on bending a good op rod or worse, the adjustable plug is the way to go.
    Bill

20. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Any one have problems with the Shuster coming loose?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted