1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to purchase a M1 Garand through the CMP. I have already got everything I need to purchase through them now I just need to pick put the rifle that I am going to buy.

I undoubtable am going to purchase a "Service Grade" model but I need some help on which one to buy. Currently I have the choice of WRA ($930), SA or HRA ($730), or IHC ($1060). Whatever one I buy will be shot and not so much a "collectors piece", I just want one to have fun with. But if there is a significant reason to go with one of the more expensive receivers I will do so.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
So I am going to purchase a M1 Garand through the CMP. I have already got everything I need to purchase through them now I just need to pick put the rifle that I am going to buy.

I undoubtable am going to purchase a "Service Grade" model but I need some help on which one to buy. Currently I have the choice of WRA ($930), SA or HRA ($730), or IHC ($1060). Whatever one I buy will be shot and not so much a "collectors piece", I just want one to have fun with. But if there is a significant reason to go with one of the more expensive receivers I will do so.
If you plan on enjoying it as a shooter, you can basically ignore collector values. The IHC ( International Harvester Corp.) was the lowest number manufacturer from WWII and that's why the prices are higher. Go with the HRA ( Harrington Richardson Arms Corp. ) and run it like it owes you cash. You will enjoy a great classic arm and not be too concerned with a little polishing or the occasional drop or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think there is a wrong answer, if you're good with the pricing. If you ever want to sell, you could probably get the difference in price back plus some if you go with WRA or IHC. If you think you might eventually get more than one, I'd get one of those 2 now while they're available. SA and HRA make the best looking rifles IMO, WRA tends to look the roughest but they work fine.

Uncle Bob on this site has had experience having to fix IHC triggers to get them to work properly, but the odds are even if you choose an IHC, you probably won't get an IHC trigger. If you do, you could probably swap it with someone for an SA and end up ahead. But if you have any problems with a rifle not operating correctly, or not to Service Grade specs, CMP will make it right for you.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
This is a timely thread as I just sent a mail in order for an IHC Service Grade and a Field Grade HRA today. I did add a sticky note for an HRA as it's luck of the draw between it and a Springfield.

Since HRA and IHC are the only two manufacturers I don't have, and I had the money available; I decided it was high time I ordered them.

I was honestly surprised to see IHC's for mail order sale again after the last one a year or so ago. I figured what was left would get auctioned off. Since I didn't have an IHC, ordering one was a no brainer.

I already have three Springfield's, and a Winchester. If you're wanting a good shooter it's hard to pass up a Service Grade. For the money Springfield and HRA are solid.

If you want something more "collectible", then go with a WRA or IHC. They will always bring more of a premium. Personally, all mine are shooters. My three Springfield's are Service Grades, and my Winchester is a Field Grade.

It really boils down to how much discretionary money you have, and how much you want to spend. I'm partial to the World War 2 production Garand myself.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's really sounding like a SA or HRA is the way to go for me. I don;t have any plans on selling this rifle I just want a good condition Garand to mess around with and show off every once and while. I'm not looking at this as an investment.

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Way back when I picked up My M1 there weren't any programs in my area to qualify for the CMP and never could afford one from a LGS. So I sorta blew it off. Then I ran across a Blue Sky Re import from S Korea.....man had it seen better days, SA Receiver, barrel looked like a sewer pipe, finish was shot and missing a few parts here and there but the price was right. I looked into all the Garand Smiths and over time they all doubled and tripled the re build prices to the point it just wouldn't be cost effective to send my box of junk off.

I sat on it for a year or so until I ran across a Smith out off West Allen Texas and we talked. I told him I wanted it re barreled to .308, Grey/Green Park but he couldn't do that.......But his price was right so what the heck....I sent if off less the ruined stock.

He replaced all the missing parts, re finished it, installed a block so you can't load 30-06, installed a NM Air Gauge .308 barrel and shipped in all back in 24 days with a new Boyds Stock for me to refinish.

I later learned that the guy that re build this Garand as well as the 1903 I sent him was in High School when he did the work. After 9/11 and the towers he had just graduated and joined the Military to go kick some butt.

Go with the SA or HRA in my opinion and later you can do what you want with it.

Karsten

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It's really sounding like a SA or HRA is the way to go for me. I don;t have any plans on selling this rifle I just want a good condition Garand to mess around with and show off every once and while. I'm not looking at this as an investment.
That's the beauty of it though. Most Garands around here bring at least a grand. So you instantly have something that is inherently worth more than you paid. My first Garand was a 5.4 million Service Grade that I paid $630.00 shipped for in early 2010. It's hands down worth more than I paid. The CMP is the best place to buy a USGI Garand IMHO.

Even though it's a shooter, it's still going to be worth more than you paid. That's never a bad investment. What I find amusing is the WRA's bring a premium, but the mill work on them is friggin' ugly.

There is no comparison to the finish on a Springfield or HRA to the finish on a WRA. The WRA is no where near as nice, and can't hold a candle to them if you're focused on the finish. Don't get me wrong, I love my WRA, but it is not ever going to win a beauty contest. :D

Line Iron Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

Line Office equipment Metal Iron Steel

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
When we sent for our Garand's we got pot luck but then at $168.00 that was still great.
Mine came through with a stock that had been beat with empty's in an 8 rd en block clip.
However the metal was great, so with some elbow grease & tru-oil it looks fine.
The M1s shoot flawlessly & they will hold 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards.
It is an SA as is my wife's. She had more luck with her stock than I did but
we are both happy with our M1s & would not sell them at all.
So I would chose the SA or the HRA & enjoy it for what it is, a great part of US
Military History that Won the World from Evil.

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
i'll have to get a pic of an old friends M1, his dad bought it back when we were in grade school (the story goes), it is flawless. i don't think it was ever issued. the old friend told me he bought it for less than 20 bucks. i don't know if any of those details are true, i just know the rifle is perfect in every way you can imagine, and it shoots straight as a string. his dad flew bombers in WWII, his mom ferried bombers to greenland during the war

·
Registered
83 Posts
OP, I think whatever you pick you will enjoy a lot.
This last summer I bought a "special" that ended up being a Springfield receiver. It was advertised as "may have significant pitting above the stock". I can barely detect the pitting and it has been completely refinished so it looks great. I'm still learning the rifle, but it sure is fun to shoot!

·
Livin Large
2,006 Posts
I was made a gift of a Springfield M1 Garand from my son. It is a rifle awarded to him from the Admiral of the Fleet for his performance in the Interservice Matches at Camp Pendelton. I treasure it above ALL the weapons I own. ( Note he has since won 2 others) He gave it to me still in the box with a condom of grease around it.
The only clean area was where it was inscribed. The stock ....showed a lot of use. I spent some time stripping, sanding, steaming, and then applying several coats of Tung oil. I am very proud of the way it came out. This rifle shoots wonderfully!!... Very accurate and the "ping" of the
clips is way to travel back in time. You cannot shoot it without a smile coming across your face.

What I am even more proud of are the "real men and soldiers" who carried that rifle into battle.
It is heavy, it kicks like hell, and after 8 rounds you know why there is so much wood surrounding it. These were men. And they won a war with it.

It is wonderful that you will be fortunate enough to own a rifle with this history and creds.
Enjoy it and remember.

·
Glocks r fugly!
304 Posts
I bought 2 from the camp several years ago. I bought service grades. Got one WRA and one HRA. I put a sticky note in my paperwork and requested original walnut sticks if possible. Both guns came with walnut stocks that were period correct, cartouches and all. The finish on the HRA is so much nicer than the finish on the WRA and I think it is in really good shape. Both have a me and te of 0 and 1. WRA is a 1944 and the HRA is a 1954. Both have barrels that match in age. I cleaned up the HRA and have left the WRA as it was received for my son and I to clean up when he is ready. You won’t be sorry. If you decide to sell someday you will easily get your money back and maybe a little extra depending on how long you keep it.
Tan Hardwood Wood flooring Laminate flooring Shotgun

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just received this International Harvester service grade from the CMP. It's a damn nice SA 0-65 rebuild, and it's my first marked rebuild too. I'm totally digging this one. I sent in an order for a field grade too this week, and sticky note requested a Harrington & Richardson to complete the set.
Nice looking IHC razorburn! What barrel did it come with? Cool that you got a usgi stock too.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Nice looking IHC razorburn! What barrel did it come with? Cool that you got a usgi stock too.
Thanks!!!

Yeah, I was hoping it wouldn't be a CMP stock. Stock sets aren't too hard to pick up, but I was stoked when I opened the case and saw the nice USGI wood. It has quite a few WW2 parts on it including the barrel, saw cut gas cylinder, and trigger group. The barrel is a SA 10-41, and super clean. I find it amazing they had a 1941 barrel lying around in 1965 when it went through rebuild.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.