1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
chicken wings
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
All of a sudden have an interest in M1 Garand rifles. I went to the CMP and one of the qualifications was to have a membership with a CMP affiliate. There were not many in Columbus, Ohio.

Question is: where can I find a shooter grade M1 Garand outside of CMP?

Is the CMP the best way to go? Help. I like it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
CMP was the best way to get one at the best price but I’m not sure what their stock is like these days and what grades. There are a generally a lot available on the secondary market

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RazorBurn

·
just one more
656 Posts
Keep an eye an armslist and other online sales forums. It's how I got mine. One option for a CMP affiliate that you may not know about is the appleseed project. A fun way to spend a weekend and gets you a cert which can be used with CMP (if I recall correctly)

·
Banned
824 Posts
Agreed, I've seen a few pretty good deals on Armslist. If you're more into shooting than collecting, it shouldn't be long before a decent shooter grade comes up for around $1k or less.

·
Premium Member
28,371 Posts
Just found out the CMP store is 2 hours from me. This is a sign. And makes it so I can see the rifle I’d like to buy. :)

I see I can join the Garand Collector’s Group for CMP for $25.
My opinion, yes a CMP rifle is the best way to go. They have bern inspected and function checked. You know you are getting a good rifle. Buy the best grade you can afford.
So you’re either near Ohio or Alabama.
The south store is a delight to visit.
Im down to one M1, used to have six at one point. Love the rifle, looks great, feels wonderful, shoots spectacularly.

·
chicken wings
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I am in Ohio. Might go for a drive with the wife on Saturday if time allows. Always wanted a “long gun” (non pistol grip type) but never caree for bolt actions (yet). The M1 Garand looks fun and I get a 30.06.

My opinion, yes a CMP rifle is the best way to go. They have bern inspected and function checked. You know you are getting a good rifle. Buy the best grade you can afford.
So you’re either near Ohio or Alabama.
The south store is a delight to visit.
Im down to one M1, used to have six at one point. Love the rifle, looks great, feels wonderful, shoots spectacularly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Garand Collector's Association + the CMP is a great way to go for a Garand, especially since you are close enough to do a store visit. Note on http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/cmp-stores/north-store/ that the North Store will be closed Feb 20 - Mar 18 to move the store to its new location at Camp Perry.

The CMP forum has good info too, on the North Store report from 1/31 there were only 2 service grade M1's available, International Harvester with so-so barrel measurements (for a service grade). International Harvesters are more expensive due to rarity. It might be a better buy to look at the Springfield or Harrington Richardson field grade M1's.

If you made the trip today, let us know how it went!

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Years ago I couldn't find any way to qualify for the CMP deals and it was looking like the LGS was the only option I had........That was spendy back then.

I ran across a Blue Sky Re Import that had seen better days....Lend/lease to north Korea.

I had plans of converting to a .308 and the price was dirt cheap.

Bought it and lost interest in the project for a few years and it just sat until I ran across a Guy at West Texas Armory that said he could re build it with a new Barrel, Park Everything and replace all the worn parts......He was just getting started and his price was right.

21 days later it was back in my hands, new Boyd's unfinished stock and the wood work began.

Little did I know the guy that did the work was still in high school....Learned everything from his grandfather and joined the Army right after he graduated after 9/11 happened.

Karsten

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
My favorite M1 is a RM1
It’s a CMP barreled .308 Win
It’s the only way an M1 Garand could get any better
That’s what I have, joy to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
chicken wings
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just joined the GCA so I can get a head start with qualifying for a purchase.

I assume I also qualify to purchase a surplus 1911 when they become available again?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recommend going with the CMP as well. I have six service grade Garands (Winchester/HR/IHC/Late Springfield/two WW2 Springfield). All of them see range time, but I shoot the WW2 Springfield Armory M1s the most. I've never had a problem with a CMP rifle, they have been ready to go right out of the box (FedEX home delivery). I did make several trips to the CMP North store at Camp Perry over the years. I usually came home with a few cans of M2 ball (Danish, then Korean, then Greek), and on one VERY good trip I came home with a Quality Hardware M1 Carbine. I remain a huge fan of the CMP.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Can you find a shooter grade outside of CMP....absolutely. Like on Gun Broker, armslist, local shops, etc. will the price be as good as CMP....nope.

They are a blast to shoot. Parts are pretty cheap.

·
chicken wings
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might do that an order online. I’m getting the Special Grade anyways and as long as it shoots, for my first one I’m not concerned about historical value or prettiness.

If thats the case you should probably wait until they make the move to the new location. Someone on the cmp forum reported that the store isn't replenishing stock until they make the move to the new store. Should be better pickings then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts