Mag Differences

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by GasGuzz, Dec 6, 2018.

1. GasGuzz

GasGuzz New Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Hello! My first post.

I’ve always wondered the allure of the 1911, this thing is loose. But to commemorate my dad’s Gov’t, yesterday at my LGS/FFL I joined the modern 1911 family… I picked up my DW Valkyrie 9mm CCO. OMG is this thing tight, now I understand.

Mags. True to what I’ve read, ships with DW-stamped/Metalform (vs. Checkmate)… metal split follower + dimple, no rear follower spacer, Wolff spring, matte SS body with front ramp and groove – nice looking mags. I’ve already ordered Mec-Gar 10 rounders, and will be breaking in with Win 124gr NATO.

On to my first question(s). Why the different followers/bodies (patents)? Why do (same) guns have their ‘favorites’, tolerance stacking?

2. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    I'll let someone who actually knows reply to your questions. In the meantime, Welcome from Alaska! 20150913_132149.jpg

Mike Meints and july19 like this.

3. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    no clue to thewhy?

welcome to the show

4. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Can't answer the mag question but, Welcome to the Forum and post some pics of your new beauty! TW

5. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    The face of the "slide stop" is not ground the same by every gun manufacturer. Why, I don't know ....but the way its ground seems to me to be the cause of which mags work the best... ( lock the slide back consistently when they are empty ).

Why different materials on followers ...steel, phenolic...again I don't know...could be cost, patents, etc. These days, especially on 9mm mags...it seems the ones with the steel followers seem to work in more guns..( like Wilson's new ETM mags ).

I also don't know for sure...but I suspect a lot of mags are made to different specs by only a few companies...and then branded for the mfg of the gun ...( DW, Wilson, Nighthawk, etc...) .../ I suspect none of them make their own mags vs paying someone else to do the extrusions, make followers, etc.... but I don't really know.

Point is...you need to find what runs in your gun the best....and just go with that mag.

Some mags have a spot welded base plate...and some don't. I prefer the ones that are removeable - so I can clean them once a month. I also like an oversized base pad on the mag...( like Wilson's ETM base pad...so I can slap that mag into place easier on a speed reload. The smaller base pads don't work for me as well..)

Congratulations on the new gun ....hope you enjoy it !

6. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Feeding angles can vary a bit, follower designs vary, springs can vary... it just comes down to variances in brands, both guns and mags. Like you said, some work better with brand x.

7. Diablo

Diablo When in doubt, empty the magazine!!!

Nov 28, 2018
    Welcome from California!
    [​IMG]

Mike Meints likes this.
  8. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I use the flat spring, plastic, no dimple follower, version of WC ETM 500’s in my Valor. I’ve never had a lock back failure but I have replaced three “lifetime” springs. I’m not particularly interested in magazine geometry or esoteric nuances; if they work in all my pistols I buy them.

9. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Welcome from Michigan !
    [​IMG]

10. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Welcome and use what works for you.

11. Baldwin

Baldwin Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2018
    In case your interested - I recently purchased a pair of base pads from Dawson Precision for the factory DW mags that came with my PM9. Installed easily and work great. Have fun with the Valkyrie.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted