mag issue

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by PaulT, Apr 3, 2019.

1. PaulT

PaulT New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Hello all
    I have a Bul 1911 Trophy, its only new with about 700 rounds through it so far. When I load the full ten rounds into any of the five magazines the gun came with its very hard to load/push the magazine home. By really slapping it in I broke the ejector. I had that replaced and am now concerned I'll break it again so I only load 9 into the magazine. This clicks in perfectly but puts me at a disadvantage in IPSC when I should have a 10 round mag in the gun. I was told to fully load the mags and leave them for a few days to relax the spring in them. I tried this to no avail, any ideas? Otherwise its a really great pistol.
    Thank you :)

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    You may need to leave them loaded for months before the springs weaken.

3. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    There is a process to trim the underside of the ejector by test fitting loaded mags in the frame with the slide removed to check the clearance.

4. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Neither the magazine body or the top cartridge should contact the underside of the ejector. The underside of the ejector will need to be filed to provide clearance.

Different magazines will sit higher or lower in the mag well. Some may contact the ejector while others may not. As an example, Checkmate mags sit lower than McCormick mags and are therefore less likely to contact the ejector when fully inserted.

To check for contact remove the slide from the frame and remove the mag catch. Then insert a magazine as far up into the frame as it will go. Observe whether or not it contacts the ejector. If it does, file the ejector as needed to achieve the smallest possible separation between it and the magazine.

Then put a cartridge in the mag and insert it again. Observe and correct as needed again.

If you use various brands of magazines, try them all first without modifying the ejector so you can see which ones sit higher or lower.

5. PaulT

PaulT New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    But if it was the ejector why does a full 10 round mag click in perfectly with the slide back or off the gun? I had a look, the magazine doesn't touch the ejector at all and the back of the 9mm case barely kisses it... barely. Its so close perhaps its not touching it but I can't tell... I went and cut two coils off the spring in one of the mags, made no difference even thought the rounds go in easier as its under less tension. So why do 9 rounds click in beautifully but 10 don't assuming its because the spring is pushing the tenth round up too high..

6. Steve in Allentown

Jan 19, 2013
    Paul,

Did a 'smith install the new ejector? If so then perhaps he already relieved the under side of the ejector.

When you seat a loaded magazine the top round is in contact with the slide's disconnector lug (aka stripper rail by some). The more cartridges in the magazine the more the magazine spring is compressed and the more force is needed to fully seat the magazine.

There may not be adequate space left in the magazine once 10 rounds are loaded for enough more compression of the magazine spring to allow easy seating of the magazine.

As Old Sea Dragon suggested, leaving the magazines fully loaded for a long period of time should allow the springs to take a set and allow for easier seating. You can also try magazines from different manufacturers.

I have no experience with 9mm 1911s so can offer no advice on which mags to use. You might consider asking the guys you compete with about the magazine issue.

Are you sure these are 10 round mags?

7. PaulT

PaulT New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Yes a smith installed the new ejector, yes definitely 10 round mags but honestly you wouldn't think so. I'll go to the gun shop and try some different mags, if new mags are needed, bloody expensive at like 100 dollars a mag x 5.
    Goodness you'd think the original magazines would work the best... anyway
    Thanks Steve

8. Steve in Allentown

Jan 19, 2013
    $100? That's absurd. Are you in the USA?

9. PaulT

PaulT New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    no I'm in Australia... things are really expensive here, I might be able to get some for like 85 dollars each..

10. techiede

techiede Active Member

Oct 30, 2014
    FWIW I have 10 mags (3 different manufacturers) for my 9mm 1911 (all 10 rounders) and only have a problem seating (without a lot of effort) the CMC ones. Those I can only seat easily with the slide locked back.

I would recommend just finding mags that will seat easily with your specific gun and use the others in practice, for barney rounds or trade with someone.

PaulT likes this.
  11. Steve in Allentown

Jan 19, 2013
  12. PaulT

PaulT New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    You bet, thanks Steve we like you guys too, I live in Brisbane on the sunny east coast.. yeah its crazy expensive here... it's a real drag.
    OMG 36 dollars for Wilson Combat mags, I wonder if they ship overseas and I wonder how customs here would be considering its a gun part.. sigh!!

13. Steve in Allentown

Jan 19, 2013
    I just got off the phone with Top Gun Supply and they only ship within the USA.:frown:

14. PaulT

PaulT New Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Oh well worth a try ;)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted