Mag question.....Again?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by BCD 45, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I just got into 1911's this year and just got my first one in .45 caliber, all others are 9mm.
    This a Commander with full length grips and a magwell, also my first one with a magwell.

On Ebay I found a six pack of 8 round Kimber Tac Mags with 2 sizes of bumper pads for each mag. $60.00 and free shipping. Is this what I want for this gun with a magwell? Sorry but I just don't know what to buy and I'm not looking for the cheapest, I'm looking for the best with the best fit.

Is there a mag that fits better and has an extra round? I'm really lost and depending on you 1911 pro's to lead me in the right direction. Thank you,

Jim D

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Almost any mag with a bumper will work with the magwell. 8rd mags already have an extra round, 7rd is standard. Kimber mags are okay, the local S.O. used them in their Kimbers when they were issuing them. They had some gun troubles but no mag problems. I use mostly CMC and Wilson, don't have any problems with them.

3. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    ^^^+1911--this is the best answer

4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    WC,
    What number or model Wilson? Or which CMC's?

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Couldn't tell you, I honestly don't think that hard about it. I've got a ton of mags, some I've bought new, some used, some came with new or used guns I've bought. Most of my CMCs are shooting stars that I've added bumpers to. I don't know what number Wilson's but they're all 8rd with a bumper. There's also some Baer 8rd mags in the mix. I use them in competition, throw out any that give me problems.

For carry I use proven flush fit CMC or Colt 8rd in the gun, 8rd Wilsons with bumpers as spares. If I'm carrying an Officer's size gun it's a flush fit 7rd CMC in the gun and 7rd spares.

FWoo45 likes this.
  6. bgw45

bgw45 Member

May 31, 2013
    47Ds work good for me.

Mike Meints and FWoo45 like this.
  7. Speedy396

Speedy396 Active Member Supporting Addict

Jun 5, 2015
    I have a few of the Kimber Tac mags and while they’re heavily constructed, they seem dimensionally a bit inconsistent from my Wilsons and CMCs. They function fine, but a couple don’t drop free in certain guns. I recently picked the Ed Brown 6 pack and they seem well made for a reasonable price. I’ve also had good luck with the Metal Craft mags which are very well priced.

8. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    I have Kimber and Colt mags that are very reliable. Prefer 8 round mags. Kimber and Colt mags came with the guns but I purchased Wilson 47D's and ETM's. 47D's and ETM's work equally well. ETM's a little nicer.

If you think that may be sinking some serious bucks into mags for the long run buy the Wilson ETM's. That was a good choice for me.

9. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Wilson Combat #500 ...8 rd, with ETM base pad.

ETM pad gives you more meat in base pad to grip for a good reload ...and for a solid seating into gun. Buy from Wilson ...or maybe Brownells if they have a 3-pak.../ might be on sale ..( for Easter, or tax season, or whatever...

I've had Kimber mags....poor construction in my view ...I gave them away.

FWoo45 likes this.
  10. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    47d's and EMT's for me. No failures so far. Others aren't so good.

Mike Meints and BigJimP like this.
  11. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Tripp Research Cobra Mags... My go to for mags with a bumper.

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    CMC Shooting Stars always worked for me.

13. Novak77

Novak77 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2019
    +1 for CMC and or Wilsons. I've used both since I was a kid with zero complaints or issues.

14. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Just so you know....Wilson combat bought chip mccormick company in 2017.

I have no idea if they will be absorbed or operate independently...

15. Shocker2000

Shocker2000 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Did you happen to mean Metalform, instead of "Metal Craft"?

I use primarily Wilson 8 round ETM mags. Metalform 7 round mags have worked great for me as well. Others like Chip McCormick and Check Mate mags have been a bit more hit and miss in my pistols.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Steve Owens likes this.
  16. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    If your gun has an extended ejector, make sure you check for clearance of the magazine & top round when mags are seated. I’ve seen several bent and broken extended ejectors on Commanders & 9mm’s.
    With slide removed, insert an empty magazine & watch for any contact on the underside of extended ejector. If the magazine clears the ejector, load a round into the magazine & insert again. If there is ANY contact, lightly relieve the areas where the contact is made. This is something I do to most all of my new Shooters.
    I recently purchased my first 9mm Govt and I’m having FTFeed issues. So after trying the only 2 brands of mags that fit without tuning the ejector, I went ahead & ordered my first Tripp Cobra mags. Can’t wait to try em but the ejector needs attention before I use em.
    Wilson ETM’s require the most relieving on the ejector in my experiences.

Steve Owens likes this.
  17. Speedy396

Speedy396 Active Member Supporting Addict

Jun 5, 2015
    “Did you happen to mean Metalform, instead of "Metal Craft"?”

Yes, Metalform not Metal Craft.

18. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Another vote here for Tripp Cobra mags, I have had guns not lock back on checkmate mags, not feed last round, and various other problems.. Imo the tripp mags just have much better springs and followers..

19. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    They are okay, but I prefer 47DDs. 47EEs if I can get them!
    Jeff

Mike Meints likes this.
  20. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    What about using mags that have a bumper on them in a Series 70 with no magwell? Any problems?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted