Mag releasing the slide every time

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by StrangerDanger, Apr 25, 2019.

1. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    I’ve tried searching for this in the forums. With no luck I’m starting a new thread about it. Can you purposely alter a 1911 to automatically release the slide to go home when a full mag is insert into the gun? My back up gun will do it every once in a while and I want it to happen everytime if possible. Thanks in advance

2. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013

Im guessing your backup is a plastic fantastic?

I know a number of my poly guns will autoforward when mag changing. Its not really a "feature" rather a byproduct of loose tolerances and flex.

StrangerDanger likes this.

3. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    What you are talking about doing ...is modifying the slide release ...so that it disengages the slide when you "slap" the new mag into the gun....2 big issues I see with this idea.....

1. If slide release is fit loose enough to allow slide to drop when you smack the gun ....it may not lock back reliably when last round in mag is fired in gun ( not good )...

2. If it's loosely fit ...it may release too soon ...before mag is fully seated into gun....causing a failure to feed...by jamming a round part way into battery...or it may drop so soon, that it doesn't pick up a round out of the mag at all...requiring a tap-rack-bang drill...( if it drops as you slap a mag in gun...you'll never know if it picks up a round or not as slide drops...because shooting tactically, you are not looking at mag or slide on a speed reload...)...

A slide release pin that will allow the slide to drop before the slide release was touched by shooter....in my view is a gun that is malfunctioning ...and something that needs to be fixed ...not something desireable.

I don't know if its more common on poly frame guns or not...I don't own any ...but I don't see it as desireable on any handgun. I talked to a couple of gunsmiths in my area this afternoon ....and they told me they agree with my comments ..and don't think its common on any poly frame guns unless the slide release is worn...or there is a compatability issue with the mags being used.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    FWoo45, StrangerDanger, tac45 and 2 others like this.
  4. StrangerDanger

Dec 15, 2018
    Nope both my regular and backup guns are both 45 cap 1911’s, but in the past shooting poly guns or CZs it was easy to add this feature.

5. StrangerDanger

Dec 15, 2018
    Thanks Jim after looking over all the parts and fitment I was thinking the same thing. I had to ask Incase I was overlooking something

6. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Concur with the above statements about a slide releasing when a mag is seated as being a problem to solve rather than a feature to chase.

I'm a little more curious about your reload technique and why you want the slide to release when a mag is seated. I'm guessing its to reduce reload time?

Whats your current return to battery method? Racking the slide to chamber a new round, or using your thumb to release the slide stop? I find using my support thumb to release the slide stop to be the fastest method. Seems like the time you would save by having the slide release when a mag is seated is negligible.

BigJimP and Liggett like this.
  7. StrangerDanger

Dec 15, 2018
    I try to avoid slide lock as much as possible but sometimes you make up a shot and it happens. When the gun accidentally did it the other day I thought it would be awesome if I could make it repeat this action.

8. Liggett

Liggett Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    It really wont save much time over a slide stop release as the gun goes back out to target. Unless maybe you're a lefty. I don't know how the 10% deal with this.

9. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I use the slide release ...on a speed reload....to drop the slide all the time with my weak hand.../.....its quick, easy & efficient.

I train to a 2.75 sec par time...( from last shot fired ..gun goes to slide lock-- drop empty mag -- grab new mag off belt...insert new mag, return gun to battery & fire 1 more shot...& stay tactically accurate on target)..../ I'm old and slow ( B class shooter ) & my average time ia about 2.5 sec...not rushing, staying smooth, good fundamemtals on gun position, fingers on mag, etc....../ ..I use the procedure taught in Massad Ayoob's book..... Combat Handgunnery..

Master Class shooters par time is 1.5 sec

Last edited: May 10, 2019

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted