magazine and magwell

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by little horn, Oct 4, 2018.

1. little horn

little horn New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Howdy folks, i have a Range Officer Champion that came with the little cheap magwell metal insert. i then ordered this
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...teel-blued-finish-mgcg4508bpf-765595103801.do
    this mag has the base pad on it that doesn't fit this particular magwell i have.
    does anyone have this Mec-Gar mags and know of a magwell insert that works with them?
    i was thinking the Dawson plastic insert.

2. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Are you trying to fit an 8 round Government/Commander magazine into an officer framed pistol?

3. little horn

little horn New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    well i don't really have to try, it fits fine if i take the magwell out. the magwell is just really narrow and small. doesn't even stick out past the grips. ive been thinking i just need a bigger one. i just dont want to start a pattern of having to grind on the boot on all my mags but i like these mags. they seem to feed fine dry cycling. but i guess i would need to do some firing before i buy more so thats why im trying to get this lined up before hand.

4. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    First I wouldn’t change your mags because of one thing your sure is the problem. That’s what an engineer would do, your not an engineer are you:o.o: just kidding! I’ve been fighting with engineers at work the last week over stupid shiat!!
    You have a picture of the magwell attached to the gun? Picture really tell a story that’s hard to put into words.
    From what i discern from your explanation you definitely need a different magwell. Maybe the type that slips over the grip screws?
    Let us know what your looking at and I’m sure someone will have your answer!

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    How about some info or pictures of this “little magwell insert”

Would assume you would do better by replacing this part

6. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Champion guns have full length grip, not officer length.

I have one or two of these magazines at the bottom of the mag box, they fit my Springfield RO with Ed Brown two piece magwell.

I know this is unsolicited advice, but I would invest in better magazines...

Mike Meints likes this.
  7. little horn

little horn New Member

Sep 20, 2018

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted