Magazine disassembly

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by acesover, Dec 27, 2018.

1. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    How do you take them apart. the only way I can see how to do this is to spread the top of the mag out enough to let the spring and follower come all the way out.
    Kind of leery of doing this as I don't want to ruin the mag. BTW, they are the stock Colt mags

2. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    No, no, no. Don't do that. Don't spread the top of the mag. With an empty magazine, push the follower down with the eraser end of a pencil or wooden dowel approximately 1/2 way compressed. Put a punch or small screwdriver completely thru one of the witness holes to capture the spring but not the follower. Relax the pressure on the pencil and shake the follower out. If it's stubborn you can grip it GENTLY with a pair of needle nose and wiggle it out. Once the follower has been removed, grip the the magazine with one hand covering the top end and pull the punch holding the spring down with the other allowing the spring to expand up into your hand.
    CAREFUL! SPRINGS CAN FLY OUT AND BITE YOU OR PERSONS NEARBY. Reinstall in the reverse. It is important to NOT scar up or deform any of the internals or the tube itself.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018

3. acesover

acesover Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Thanks! Now to see if I can do it without launching a spring!

4. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Check youtube also, there's a few examples there also. Some helpful, some not so much.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted