close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magazine hitting the Ejector

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Quack, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Well the STI Tactical showed up today. When i had it apart i noticed a few things.

First was that the ejector didn't seem right, it wasn't flush with the rear of the slide.
    Taking a look, i also noticed that the ejector wasn't all the way down on the frame.
    Looking even closer there was no rollpin holding the ejector in.

So this all adds up and shows the reason why gun gamers using double stack's modify the gun so the slide doesn't lock back on empty.
    My guess is that the original owner slammed a 140mm magazine in (with the slide locked back) and broke the ejector. No big deal.

I installed a magazine and this is what i saw, the magazine is hitting the ejector. Blayglock told me that he was getting some feeding issues and that the mags probably need to be tuned. No problem, I've done it to my other 2011 mags. Now i'm wondering if the feed problems were actually from the rounds hanging up on the ejector.

Here's what it looked like before.
    [​IMG]

and after some filing.
    [​IMG]

so now the ejector clears the magazine, now I need to look at my other 2011 ejector to see what other work needs to be done and then drill the ejector leg out to install a roll-pin.

2. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Carefull about using a drill. Sometimes the ejectors are harder than the frame, and the drill may drift into the magwell area. Most go step by step with a rat tail file instead. the ejector in a wise instead, gives you better control, and if you file the just a smidgen high on the leg, the ejector pin will pull it down on the frame for maximum strenght.

Side note. The gamers also de-activate slidestops, so bullets made out of spec. on COAL won't bump the slidestop when feeding, which sometimes activates it to premature slide lock back.

3. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    I also file the ejector. Use a 1/16" punch with the ejector in place to make a mark on the leg so you have a reference point to file.Like Jess mentioned a bit high will pull you in tight. Also if the mag hits the ejector you can try putting a slight bevel on the magwell side of the ejector. Sometime this will give you the clearance you need.

4. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Good point Isbbigdog. Forgot that part.
    Quack ! Looks like the plastic follower on the first photo, is just about chewed up by the slide stop. Better check it for fit/function.

5. 230gr

230gr Member

Aug 23, 2011
    red loctite; Ive not found that pin to be a necessity, many do. Hell, blue loctite has mine on like a vise grip.

6. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Thanks guys.

I have put a bevel on the inside of the ejector so that it doesn't rub on the rounds in the magazine.

The one in the picture is one of the mags that came with it. I have new followers for the magazines and will check them in the next day. I'll probably have to tune the mags as well.

7. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Am surprised they use that long of an ejector, those are more trouble than they are worth.

8. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Some times they are put in oversized, so the owner can cut them to lenght. Does it eject a loaded round ?

9. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    yep, ejects loaded rounds fine.

i should also add that this is a 9mm and not a .45ACP

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted