Magazine issues...

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by skud_dusty, Oct 10, 2011.

1. skud_dusty

skud_dusty New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    As I'm sure some of you know (and for those that don't) I recently purchased this Sig 1911

[​IMG]

Long story short: I'm looking for some reliable magazines without breaking the bank. The information I've gathered so far is almost dizzying with all sorts of opinions, truths, and BS. With this particular gun the factory mags it shipped with run great (non-marked 8 rounders, look like CMC) but when I purchased some 7 round Colt hybrid magazines it began to choke. One magazine's follower jumps the slide stop and makes the mag not drop free on top of not locking the slide back. The other will sometimes give me a failure to return to battery. It's happened once at the range and a few times when hand cycling the slide. Any suggestions or ideas?

2. 11101110111

11101110111 New Member

Sep 10, 2011
    What's breaking the bank to you? If you ask me, the Wilson 47Ds are worth every penny and then some. I've also had good luck with CMC PM+ . If this isn't for carry, I've got some Metalform mags that run great as well.

3. skud_dusty

skud_dusty New Member

Oct 5, 2011
    I'd prefer to keep them around $20 a piece, but would be willing to spend up to $30. These will be carry mags so I'm flexible on price. I don't mind carry inexpensive mags if they are 100% reliable.

4. 11101110111

11101110111 New Member

Sep 10, 2011
    In that case I can't recommend anything other than the 47d from Wilson. I've not had a single problem from any of mine, and I got them all for $25-28, or less. There's a reason every time a thread pops up where someone is having feeding problems, Wilsons are mentioned. Wilsons for carry, cheaper for range.

5. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I have learned that cheap 1911 mags and myself do not get along. I bought a bunch of metal form ultras or w/e they call them, and replaced the springs and followers with Tripp rebuild kits. They now work great but I still have like 25 in each mag. On my 9mm I am only buying the Wilson ETMs as I know they work, and do not feel like messing with it.

6. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    My two go to mags are Wilson Combat ETMs and Kimpro Tac mags.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  7. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
  8. log man

log man Banned

Oct 9, 2011
    I'd second any of the 1911 ACT mags. They have a bad rap for lips cracking because a bad batch was released some time ago, but they will replace. The ones out there now are all good.

LOG

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I'd have to see the follower and lip design, but I'd bet those are Checkmate magazines. They're not bad at all.

Wilson ETMs are running well for me so far. The big names in magazines are Chip McCormick, Bill Wilson, and Virgil Tripp. Tom Viewig (Checkmate) has a new design (what I believe yours is) that has been doing well.

Andy

10. .45 acp nut

.45 acp nut New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I have a Sig 1911 XO. The two mags that came with it worked OK, but I wanted more for USPSA competition. I bought 8 Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines. Midway USA has them for a very good price. I have used them for over a year at least once monthly without any problems. I have replaced the springs once (should again soon), and clean them after each range trip. I am totally satisfied with them!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  11. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    One of my guns doesn't like Wilson ETM's. I just picked up a bunch of McCormick Power mags and it solved the issues. You can pick up the black 8 rounders for $24 with free shipping. I highly recommend them. The fact of the matter is that different magazines work well on some guns and they don't work on others. You need to find what works for you.

12. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I've tried many of the mags out there, but by no means all of them. I use Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags almost exclusively now. Also happy with MetalForm and Mec-Gar. Not overly impressed with the Wilsons I tried, Pachmyr is good (7 rod), the Sarco "Price Buster" mags (SPB) I bought worked (fit and feed) fine but had to be kept in an oil bath for the first month or so to keep from rusting. No idea how the SPB mags will last in actual use, but they sure beat the snot out of the Kimber mag that came with the gun.

13. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    I have used and like the checkmate mags, i use the 7rd mags, going on 6 years now. http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-7rd-ss-hybrid-cmf-full-size-1911-magazine.html. They have the same in blued finish.
    I have also used, though pricey for some, You have to ask what your life is worth. My ex would say nothing but that is her.
    http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html
    Especially their super 7 build kits are premo http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

And it would be wise to stock up on mag springs, Wolff 11lbs, Brownells Has them #969-713-730
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16584/sku=969713730/Product/7-Round-Qty-3

Hope this helps you. I have used the above both on duty and off and have not had any failures related to the mags.
    Regards.

14. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I have never had one problem with the Wilson 47d magazines or the McCormick Power Mags...

15. diesel44

diesel44 NRA LE Handgun Instructor

Sep 26, 2011
    I am using CheckMate 8rd Match SS magazines. Never a failure of any kind with all types of ammo in my Colt Combat Elite. www.44mag.com has them on sale for $20.30 each.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted