1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Double Secret Banned
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
magz.jpg

A pile of Shooting Star and Colt magazines, newly improved with either Tripp Super-7 kits or GI followers and Wolff springs. Not shown are some Wilson 47Ds that received Checkmate followers and Wolff springs.

No more girly-man springs or tilt prone followers. No more stuffing 20 pounds of 'taters in a 10 pound sack.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
i maybe need to do that, give me something to work on and be both useful and practical
I’m thinking the same, I’ve about 50 Colt magazines sitting in a pile unused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Reactions: Dub and blitz45

·
Double Secret Banned
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those Wilson 47Ds can be found cheap all over the internet. Makes me wonder if Wilson is phasing them out. Here are a couple of mine with the Checkmate follower and Wolff springs.
IMG-0309.jpg

The Tripp Super 7 kits did not play well in my 47D bodies. They seemed to stop short of the top of the tube.

My goal in all of this tweaking is to have mags that will feed JHP rounds without a hiccup for a very long time.

·
Custom Pistolsmith
3,466 Posts
Funny thing is, people actually think that having a super strong mag spring is a good thing. The mag I use for ransom rest testing is the same mag I've been using for over 10 years with thousands of loading cycles and tens of thousands of feed cycles. The spring is so soft you wouldn't think it would even feed. But it does. And, it has had some incredible targets shot out of it. Stronger springs actually slow the cycle of the gun down and can cause both function and accuracy issues to arise. Just something to ponder over.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Funny thing is, people actually think that having a super strong mag spring is a good thing. The mag I use for ransom rest testing is the same mag I've been using for over 10 years with thousands of loading cycles and tens of thousands of feed cycles. The spring is so soft you wouldn't think it would even feed. But it does. And, it has had some incredible targets shot out of it. Stronger springs actually slow the cycle of the gun down and can cause both function and accuracy issues to arise. Just something to ponder over.
I agree. It would seem the recoil somehow may contribute towards feeding. At least in the high caps. In my Caspian wide body, if you strip the rounds out of the magazine, at some point the rounds stop moving upward, and you have to tap the magazine. BUT, they feed while shooting the gun 100%.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The mag I use for ransom rest testing is the same mag I've been using for over 10 years with thousands of loading cycles and tens of thousands of feed cycles. The spring is so soft you wouldn't think it would even feed. But it does.
Sounds like it continues to work. None of the mags I pictured above were what I would consider reliable. Mostly FTF issues on the last round in the stack. Some wouldn't lock the slide back or if they did the slide stop was barely engaging the notch in the slide.

The Wolff springs I use are standard pressure 7 round springs, not XP. I've been tempted to try some XP springs but haven't yet. Not sure what "strength" the Tripp springs are but all new springs feel stout until you've run them for a while.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Sounds like it continues to work. None of the mags I pictured above were what I would consider reliable. Mostly FTF issues on the last round in the stack. Some wouldn't lock the slide back or if they did the slide stop was barely engaging the notch in the slide.

The Wolff springs I use are standard pressure 7 round springs, not XP. I've been tempted to try some XP springs but haven't yet. Not sure what "strength" the Tripp springs are but all new springs feel stout until you've run them for a while.
Well, to be fair, Joe's guns are so good I wouldn't be surprised if they continued function if you removed the magazine spring. :joyful:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
This post has been a good look at not forgetting the Magazine.
No matter what the Firearm is. By not forgetting the whole routine
you will make sure you get the best results you can get from your gun.
One last thing is I found was that after a through cleaning, applying a quick
spray of Rem dri PTFE spray. This will help keep grit & grime from sticking
to the inside of the mags. Just a good preventive to keep the Mag clean &
working longer.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
A pile of Shooting Star and Colt magazines, newly improved with either Tripp Super-7 kits or GI followers and Wolff springs. Not shown are some Wilson 47Ds that received Checkmate followers and Wolff springs.

No more girly-man springs or tilt prone followers. No more stuffing 20 pounds of 'taters in a 10 pound sack.
If you're getting nose downs on Shooting Stars, you had the spring wrong under the follower. I've fixed this for countless people.

·
Double Secret Banned
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're getting nose downs on Shooting Stars, you had the spring wrong under the follower. I've fixed this for countless people.
Nope. The springs were worn out from use.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts