close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magazines - Les Baer Pistol

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Spur1911, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Spur1911

Spur1911 Member

May 30, 2016
    OK - I've run 530 Rounds through my UTC now, so I'm broken in with my first cleaning finished.

On my last batch of 50 rounds shot, I had 2-3 FTFs. I believe this is due to the original magazines provided by LB. The mags were down to two rounds when the FTFs happened FWIW.

The LB magazines are OK and a good cleaning should help, but higher level mags seem like a good idea to me. I would like to buy of couple of those type mags to go with the three factory mags and I should be good to go.

Suggestions? I'm sure y'all have them. Thanks!!!!!

41 Charlie likes this.
  2. KW Gary M

KW Gary M New Member

May 30, 2017
    I too am not impressed with the Les Baer factory magazines. My Baer is about the same age as yours and same round count. I stripped and cleaned it for the first time last night. I brought a Wilson magazine that I use in my Kimber to the range yesterday and it is a lot better than the LB mag. I love the pistol but not the magazines.

Ordered two Wilson mags last night.

3. 1911KY

1911KY Tres Gunna! Supporting Addict

Mar 20, 2015
    I never run the Baer mags, CMC, Wilson or Tripp for me.

cwoods and LPRoad like this.
  4. KW Gary M

KW Gary M New Member

May 30, 2017
    I was going to try a Tripp because I have heard great things about them but I went Wilson because I am familiar with them and know I like them. Still may buy a Tripp to try as I only bought one Wilson.

5. olds442guy

olds442guy Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I like Wilson ETMs. I also had trouble with my Baer mags. The gun would lock back, the mag would be empty, and the last round of the mag (that should have been fed to the chamber) would just be sitting on top of the follower/feed lips. Pretty annoying. With any other mags I've used, haven't had any issues.

KW Gary M likes this.
  6. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Hard to beat Tripp Research or Wilson Combat for magazines.

LPRoad and tac45 like this.
  7. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Wilson and or Tripp should solve your problem

LPRoad likes this.
  8. stlgecko

stlgecko Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 24, 2014
    Tripp Cobra mags for Baers, in my experience with 6-7 different Baers.

LPRoad likes this.
  9. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Like everyone else, use better magazines. I have had a number of Baer's and never had any issues with the Baer provided magazine, however they were range use only.

10. notshawn54

notshawn54 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 9, 2016
    Tripp for me. Have 2 Wilson 47's one won't lock slide back. Recently bought 4 Tripps no problems whatsoever

LPRoad likes this.
  11. KW Gary M

KW Gary M New Member

May 30, 2017
    My Les Baer just reached it's 500 round break in period and I was able to take it down and clean it properly last night. My experience with it, during the break in period, was several Fail to Feeds and several times the slide didn't lock open with the Les Baer Magazines. Absolutely no problems with the Wilson magazine for 150 rounds with the pistol filthy dirty from the break in period.

I am going to give the Baer magazines a fair try with a clean pistol but so far I think I will order a couple more Wilson magazines for carry and home defense and save the Baer mags for range plinking.

12. awmp

awmp Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I got my UTC last Friday, put 520 rounds down the pipe over the weekend. The only mags that did functioned 100%, Tripp. (21 (8rd) mags from Wilson, Chip McCormick, Les Baer, MegGar)

13. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jul 4, 2013
    One of the only parts I've broken is a Les Baer mag base pad. It snapped in half and allowed the mag to be over inserted locking the slide up.

I have a couple Tripp mags that work flawlessly for the range and I only use CMC mags now per recommendation from a few top smiths here for range and carry.

simonp likes this.
  14. straitR

straitR Member

Nov 26, 2014
    I use nothing but Wilson ETM's at this point. Never took the Baer mags out of the box. I've never tried Tripp because I've never had a reason to, but I know a couple people who like and use them.

15. Spur1911

Spur1911 Member

May 30, 2016
    Thanks everyone. Seems like the UTC is a popular LB pistol with other very recent purchasers commenting in this thread.

Cabelas stocks the Wilson Combat mags. Think I'm going to snag one or two of those mags with a 25% off a $100 purchase this weekend.

16. EXFI

EXFI Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I have some difficulty with the whole Wilson vs Baer magazine success vs failure thing in Baer and other pistols. I say that based on external and internal visual examination of two examples of each in the eight round capacity versions. The Wilsons were not ETM or Vickers versions but the longtime 47 series 8 round versions.

Externally, the tubes appear the same with different witness configurations and base pads. Look closely at the particular stainless tube finish if you have an example of each. No other tubes out there exhibit such a finish.

Internally, the followers and springs appear identical. This was at least true in the two examples of each I compared.

So what is left? There is nothing to stop a magazine maker from changing spring specifications or spring vendors. The springs can appear the same and in fact be different. There may be a difference in feed lip geometry I am unable to discern.

Maybe the four magazines are not representative of the components always used. All four magazines have been fine in some guns but none bave been perfect across all pistols used.

17. Spur1911

Spur1911 Member

May 30, 2016
    I did not realize the Tripp mags are made by Texas folks. I may get a Wilson and a Tripp.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  18. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 12, 2016
    Chips and Tripps!

19. simonp

simonp Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Like you I only buy CMC now based on top Smith's recommendations. I've a few older wilsons that I still use for range use, slowly retiring them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

azpoolguy likes this.
  20. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    specifically, which CMC's are you guys using? a part number would be great. thanks!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted