close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magazines Sticking

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by polizei1, Sep 21, 2011.

1. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok this is quite annoying...my magazines have been sticking for a while now and I'm really getting annoyed, especially when this slows my reloads for USPSA.

I have not measured my mags, but I don't think that's the issue. What I've noticed is that when I release the mag, it drops about 1" and then gets hung up. I have to actually grab the mag and pull it out before I can insert a new mag. Also, I've noticed that the reason seems to be because of the ammo: the round will stick out of the follower about half-way. I believe the nose of the bullet is getting caught and this is why the mags won't drop. It also seems to happen MORE frequency where there is only 1-round left in the mag.

Now keep in mind, with a FULL magazine, and an EMPTY, they both drop free with NO issues. It's only when I'm firing and drop the mag, which is when the round gets pushed out half-way and prevents it from dropping free.

Is there anyway I can fix this? Unfortunately to my knowledge I can't just replace the followers, nor can I just get new mags. This is killing my reloads in USPSA though.

2. drcfirearms

drcfirearms Forum Sponsor Sponsor

Aug 16, 2011
    Check to make sure your grip screws are not too long. They will drag on the mag. Back your grip screws out and see if the problem goes away. If it does, just file down the grip screws so they stop dragging on the mag. Just a thought.....

3. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    When playing around with some snap caps the other day I noticed this on my 9mm as well, if it was the last few rounds they are forward and drag a bit.

Mine would still drop free, but they have metal base pads which I am sure help a little over what you have to deal with on the EMP. It was not as bad on the Wilson ETM mags, vs the stock Kimber one I have. I just figured it was a 9mm 1911 thing.

4. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I've checked the grip screws, it's not them. If that were the issue, it would happen all the time. The problem isn't there any other time.

It could be that I'm just turning the gun too far up so it's not dropping, but I really don't see how I could be that stupid. I'm confused, I need to be videotaped.

5. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    My observations when I had my EMP.

When a round is stripped from the magazine, the next round is being pulled forward a little bit, then when you go to remove the mag, the nose of the round catches the feed ramp or front strap. Too little mag spring tension will have this occur more often.

Has it been happening since new? New mag springs might help.

This doesn't happen with my the 9mm 1911's except for the double stack STI mags before I tuned them.

6. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Not that I recall...and if I think about it, I can't remember it happening with my flush-cut ones, which have the .40 springs. At least I think they have the .40 springs...I took them apart a few days ago but didn't bother to look. Is there somehow I can tell the difference?

7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    if it didn't happen before, but is happening now i would look at the mag springs weakening.

not sure on the .40 springs since i've never had mags that had them, but it may be the reason they switched to the .40 springs in the 9mm mags.

You also mentioned that it seems to happen more frequently with 1 round left, which i would think it from weak spring tension.

Just my guess anyways.

8. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Well the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I noticed that when cleaning them Monday that they felt a bit more weak, but they were and also have fed reliably, so I never really took note of it until now.
    So, what do I do? Can I get stronger springs or do I have to buy new mags?

9. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    don't know where you can get mag springs, best bet is call Springfield.

10. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Dang, I had a feeling you were going to say that. :laugh:

Any chance I could use another spring and cut it down to the regular length, or would they not work because of the magazine size difference?

11. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    dunno, haven't looked at the springs.

12. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Even though this should really be in the GS section I'll answer with what I know. ;-D

In all likelihood it has nothing to do with the mag springs. The springs get blamed for WAY to many problems that they have nothing to do with.

In my experience what causes this is that most manufacturers do not properly dress out the mag well area in the frame, especially towards the top of the frame. This, in conjunction with the fact that many mags made now days are too wide at the top to begin with, causes them to stick in the frame when they are empty and have no weight to assist them in dropping out of the gun when the mag catch is pressed.

There are a couple of ways to fix this. One is to take a file and then some sand paper on sticks and dress out the mag area of the frame until the empty mags drop freely upon pressing of the button. This is what I do when building a new gun at the very beginning.

Another option is to wrap one of your mags with sticky back sand paper on the front and then spend the evening inserting it into the gun over and over, once that is done put the paper on the back of the mag, new paper mind you, and do it some more. This does the same thing as the first option only it takes a LOT longer to get the desired result accomplished.

Another way to fix it is to sit in front of the t.v. one night and just put all your mags in and out in and out of the gun until they "wear in" and fall free...read: not a good option...

A final option is to put your mags in a vise and CAREFULLY compress them just a little bit...but unless you have done this a bunch I don't recommend it as a little goes a LONG way and most people crush a mag or two in the learning process.

Hope this helps...

13. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Joe, both full and empty mags drop free without issue. There is actually "room" in the frame where I can move the magazines around slightly. The problem is when I'm shooting, I just don't exactly know what is or how to replicate it.

The thing that gets me is the one round that pops half-way out of the magazine. I just assume this is the cause, but don't know how to confirm it. Unfortunately I don't have the time to try and figure this out, nor a place to test it, unless I'm in a match.

Is there anything on the gun I should look for? Wear, scratches, etc. etc. Is there a way I can judge the spring weight and compair them?

14. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Hmmm...yes, I see that now...hmmm...

What caliber are we talking about here?...you may have mentioned it but just in case I missed it...also, what brand and type of gun and what brand and type of mags?

15. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    9mm EMP. Factory mags.

16. Joe C

Sep 11, 2011
    Ohhhh....bummer...

Sell it...

Just Kidding! LOL!

Hmmm....are you perhaps shooting reloads that a loaded out a bit too long?

17. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    The mags are Mec-gar factory EMP mags, 9mm. I am shooting reloads but I don't think OAL it's too much. I have them set at 1.140, but I've shot everything from 1.150 to 1.180. Problem is, I'm not sure if it occurred with those or not!

18. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok, I checked my mags width at the widest part, which is 0.544” and they slide in-out without issue. While I was doing this “test” I also looked at the disconnector rail and the mag-release, both were fine.

Now, I also noticed that the rounds are hitting the ejector! And that it’s pushing them forward, and if I had to guess I would say this is probably what is causing the issues. I assuming that when chambering a new round, the ejector is hitting the round and pushing it forward. When this happens, the round hits the frame and the mag won’t drop.

Ejector:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bullet scars from the ejector and being pushed forward:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noticed how scared up the frame is...is it from the bullet?

Appox. how much the mag hangs out:

[​IMG]

This is what the magazines look like after I pick them up. The round is significantly pushed forward:

[​IMG]

So am I correct in thinking that I need to file down the ejector so it doesn’t hit the rounds anymore? Is this what is causing the issue? Or is that how it's actually suppose to be?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    Something is wrong here. The part of the frame in the pic is under the barrel isn't it. I don't see how the rounds could contact there. Also, what's up with the mage sticking out of the frame? I can't really see the ejector issue in the pics.. I'll co back and read/look agan.. Ron

20. Hatter

Hatter Makes **** Move

Aug 23, 2011
    I believe that the mag drops that much until the round catches on the frame. It seems (from the chat and what I see above) the ejector is pushing the next round forward as it moves onto the chambered round...?? When the mag is then released it drops that distance until the bullet catches and it "sticks"

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted