1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if a 38 super firing pin is any less durable and/or reliable than a standard 45 firing pin. I ask because I'm thinking of getting a new 1911 and am wondering if that should be part of the criteria I use to decide which one to get. Also, I'm a pretty big fan of slim grips; are they usable with a 1 piece magwell/mainspring housing set up. If they are, will I have a big gap between the grips and the magwell? I'm thinking pretty hard about a fusion 1911 kit, specifically either the combat or riptide.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I don't recall a racegunner complaining about the skinny firing pin in his overloaded .38 or 9mm.

Smith & Alexander make a Slim funnel. Slim grips, too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. I'm wondering about the firing pin size because the 38 super pin is smaller in diameter. It seems like the smaller diameter would make it less durable but maybe not. Maybe a 38 super pin lights off primers more reliably.

·
The Tinker
3,367 Posts
Skinny firing pins light off 10mms just fine too. :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Are you concerned about the cost of a replacement firing pin? They are less than $10. To wear out a firing pin shooting .38 Super you will spend thousands and thousands of dollars on ammo. Splurge and get the Superb!

·
Administrator
8,054 Posts
NH magwells line up very well with slim grips. As far as the firing pin it wouldn’t be a concern of mine.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Springfield come stock with a .38 super/9mm fp in their .45s.
Yup! I found that out the hard way....went to install a Wilson Bulletproof .45acp firing pin when I got a used Springer....wouldn't go in....Hmmmm....then I measured them with my micrometer....YUP....Springfield uses a smaller diameter firing pin....oh well....I just cleaned it and buffed it a bit and it was good to go....

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I shoot a lot of uspsa and steel challenge with m 1911/2011 all but one has 9/38 FP's and they've never been a problem. literally 10's of 1000's of rounds fired in them.

I've built 9-10 of the older fusion kits. Back when you called Bob and told him what you wanted.
Ever one had a great slide frame, bbl fit. Back then , 9-10 years ago, the frames and slide were probably sti, back then the quality was great.

If I was going to build a fusion kit I'd try and get bob on the phone and sort out the frame , slide and bbl materiel and fit. then order my internals FWIW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts