1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of up in the air and undecided as to whether I like magwells or not, mainly for the looks of the firearm more than the function of a magwell.

Before I up and purchase 4 or 5+ I'd like to hear Addicts opinions about magwells, Yes I like them or No I don't like them. If you'd like to explain, comment, anything you'd like to say about a magwell, please be my guest.

I'd like to wish all of you Addicts a great safe merry Xmas & a great Happy New Year!!!
"Bless All"

JD - BCD 45

·
Premium Member
8,135 Posts
Chiming in!!!!
I really didn't care all that much for them a while back...... they are growing on me now to the point that I have ordered a couple guns with them on and ordered a couple of magwells to put on guns that don't have them... IMO the gun needs to look like it should have them.

Money Coin Currency Cash Metal

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I’m a recent convert and like them! They don’t add much size to the gun but they aid in speedy tactical reloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Agreed, looks depend on the gun it's going on. I definitely like the function, especially on a single stack gun. I think a big part of making it look right is also making sure it's installed properly and blended well to the frame.
Definitely true!

I recently received a gun back from a smith where all he did was bolt it on - looks terrible & cut my hand with the sharp edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Ahem... all pistols have a magwell. :nerd: :p

In regards to magwell extensions, you can asses their utilty by running some timed reload drills. Personally, I find that the flaired opening helps.

If you don't like the aesthetics of an extended magwell, but you want to realize some of the practical benefits, you might look into the various beveled magwell/MSH modifications that are available; e.g. Stan Chen Max Bevel MSH.

Reactions: gps man and 38

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
The only ones I like are those by Stan Chen. If using standard thickness grips then there's no change in length or width. We have one pin shoot each year where you face a three tier rack with 30 pins each level. Stevie Wonder with a case of D.T.'s couldn't miss on a reload.
Have a couple of carry guns with Stan Chen' s Max Bevel Mainspring Housing and am becoming rather fond of it. @dustinoif3 just posted pictures of installing one in the Recent Post 'G.I. Sleeper'.
Guess it really depends on your intended use of the gun.
The Max Bevel is unobtrusive to the eye and who knows, some day in some situation it may just be a help to save your bacon.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Most of my 1911s have magwells. I prefer them when using mags with base pads like the WC ETM. On the others I use flush fit welded base plates. To me a pistol without a magwell and mags with base pads look like hemorrhoids falling out of the grips. Just my opinion :eek:.o: It is all about aesthetics

·
Known Agitator
3,697 Posts
Would not be a deal breaker for me either way, but I prefer guns without them. I don't shoot competition, and don't really need a handicap ramp for my reloads just yet. :)

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
I am a big fan. Been adding them to many of my guns and pulling the Smith & Alexander arched magwell and swapping them out for Stan Chen SI magwells.

Been planning a photo session. More to follow, but all I can say is the Stan Chen SI magwell have ruined me on arched MSH's.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.