1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Magwell vs. No Magwell

Tags
magwells
20K views 82 replies 61 participants last post by  TB1911 
#1 ·
I'm kind of up in the air and undecided as to whether I like magwells or not, mainly for the looks of the firearm more than the function of a magwell.

Before I up and purchase 4 or 5+ I'd like to hear Addicts opinions about magwells, Yes I like them or No I don't like them. If you'd like to explain, comment, anything you'd like to say about a magwell, please be my guest.

I'd like to wish all of you Addicts a great safe merry Xmas & a great Happy New Year!!!
"Bless All"

JD - BCD 45

#3 ·
Chiming in!!!!
I really didn't care all that much for them a while back...... they are growing on me now to the point that I have ordered a couple guns with them on and ordered a couple of magwells to put on guns that don't have them... IMO the gun needs to look like it should have them.

Money Coin Currency Cash Metal

#4 ·
I’m a recent convert and like them! They don’t add much size to the gun but they aid in speedy tactical reloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
Definitely true!

I recently received a gun back from a smith where all he did was bolt it on - looks terrible & cut my hand with the sharp edges.

#11 ·
Ahem... all pistols have a magwell. :nerd: :p

In regards to magwell extensions, you can asses their utilty by running some timed reload drills. Personally, I find that the flaired opening helps.

If you don't like the aesthetics of an extended magwell, but you want to realize some of the practical benefits, you might look into the various beveled magwell/MSH modifications that are available; e.g. Stan Chen Max Bevel MSH.

#14 ·
The only ones I like are those by Stan Chen. If using standard thickness grips then there's no change in length or width. We have one pin shoot each year where you face a three tier rack with 30 pins each level. Stevie Wonder with a case of D.T.'s couldn't miss on a reload.
Have a couple of carry guns with Stan Chen' s Max Bevel Mainspring Housing and am becoming rather fond of it. @dustinoif3 just posted pictures of installing one in the Recent Post 'G.I. Sleeper'.
Guess it really depends on your intended use of the gun.
The Max Bevel is unobtrusive to the eye and who knows, some day in some situation it may just be a help to save your bacon.

#15 ·
Most of my 1911s have magwells. I prefer them when using mags with base pads like the WC ETM. On the others I use flush fit welded base plates. To me a pistol without a magwell and mags with base pads look like hemorrhoids falling out of the grips. Just my opinion :eek:.o: It is all about aesthetics

#20 ·
I am a big fan. Been adding them to many of my guns and pulling the Smith & Alexander arched magwell and swapping them out for Stan Chen SI magwells.

Been planning a photo session. More to follow, but all I can say is the Stan Chen SI magwell have ruined me on arched MSH's.

#24 ·
For me, it depends on the build and the purpose. For functionality (shooting and reloads), it is definitely a plus. As far an aesthetics, I can be hit or miss based on personal preference.

Then there is the debate of blending versus drop in. Then the debate on 1 piece versus 2 piece. Then the debate of cut/weld/screw versus just swap MSH.

Then down the rabbit hole we go. With the build that I have had I love all of Stan Chen products and you can pick the one that suits your needs/wants

#28 ·
I have the Chen MSH with max bevel on my Rogers/ Milks Commander, very nice option

Reactions: Dub and FWoo45
#29 ·
I guess my hands are larger than normal. A standard grip digs into the heel of my palm when shooting. This is why I have always preferred arched MSH's over flat, and cannot tolerate officers size guns. The extra push back from the corner of the grip was more comfortable with arched MSH's.

The added length coupled with the rounded butt of the Chen SI magwell however, is just a delight. It is WAY more comfortable than any arched mainspring housing I own, magwell or not. The Chen SI magwell has totally ruined my preference for arched MSH's.

The other bonus is how a magwell helps accommodate a +1 magazine or a magazine with a base pad.

Right now I have SI magwells on five full size guns and two commander sized guns. Photos to follow.

I should be posting up a few more arched Smith and Alexander magwells fer sail at Addicts brother-in-law prices soon.

Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.