Magwell

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by JacobH, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JacobH

JacobH Member

Jul 29, 2019
    What type of magwell do you run if any? How much do you feel it helps you reload?
    I use a Dawson magwell and feel like it has a large impact on how many good reloads I have. Especially when I am not just standing still.
    I do believe that you can get good enough to rarely need one or use it though. If you watch the top production shooters(no magwell) they rarely ever miss a reload.

wrmiller, B81 and JM44 like this.
  2. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    I run a Dawson magwell on my STI Trojan Single Stack's for competition.

I run S&A arched mainspring 1-piece magwells on my Ed Brown and an Officer sized one on my CCO.

I also have Dawson magwells on my STI Eagle (.40s&w for Limited Division) and one on my G35 for Limited Division.

On my carry Glocks, no magwell and had no issues. But for single stacks...it (for me) makes a world of difference on quick reloads...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    JacobH likes this.

3. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    I have the factory two piece on my TRP.

I'm using an S&A on my Loaded .45acp and have another to install on my 9mm Range Officer.

I'm thinking about buying the S&A arched magwell for my MilSpec and possible another for a Colt 1991 that I've been considering buying.

The S&A models offer really good checkering on the backstrap and I have zero complaints. They mate up well and were easy to install.

FWoo45 and JacobH like this.
  4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    As an amateur, I don't feel like I needed one when shooting a double stack 9mm. The tapered magazine creates its own funnel like effect. For single stack guns on the other hand, it seems to help me. I really like a fully blended Wilson Bullet Proof magwell (extension). The mags really slip right in without bouncing or skipping around as they're inserted.

zipper046, wrmiller and JacobH like this.
  5. Josh_Putman

Josh_Putman Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I use a S&A arched and checkered one piece on my Colt. It really does help quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dub and zipper046 like this.
  6. Titanxt

Titanxt Member

Sep 15, 2019
    I have run both the Dawson and the SA on 1911s. For a full-out competition gun, I would give the nod to the Dawson, but the SA makes for a very clean magwell for carry. My 2-cents.

7. Steven785

Steven785 Member

Jul 10, 2017
    I also prefer the blended Wilson!

8. rhsth4

rhsth4 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2018
    I run a Wilsom Combat One-Piece Bulletproof magwell.

9. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Had S and A on some Pin Guns; they have now been replaced with Stan Chen Gen 2 magwells. Have a Chen Max Bevel on one carry gun.
    The Max Bevel is fast but man the Gen 2 magwell could be hit Every time by Stevie Wonder.

Mike Meints, gps man and AGENT P like this.
  10. Bergeron

Bergeron New Member

Aug 27, 2018
    I like the Wilson or Smith & Alexander pattern of magwell on 5" guns, and the Heine or Chen "no length added" pattern on Commanders. I was shooting matches before I was shooting 1911s, and I'm a fan of magwells in general.

11. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    I ran a few S&As and a custom one built by my mentor on my single-stack competition 1911s. When I switched to STIs, I had a mag funnel at first, but realized I didn't need it and it was just unnecessary bulk, so I stopped using them.

I put a Chen on my Kimber, but I don't like it. It's too wide, and it has a funnel like the grand canyon. Now I can see a novice or someone too lazy to practice needing a funnel like that, but I hate it. So after the current project is done, I will be removing it (it's silver soldered on) and making one of my own.

12. FrankB

FrankB I wanna go fast! Supporting Addict

Oct 16, 2019
    I have the S&A, Dawson, and the Techwell. Here is a photo of them for reference. The Dawson is my favorite followed by the Techwell. The S&A seems the best for carry. D9CFE3BF-6FA2-461B-96CC-F790BCEC1B42.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    ripdog28 likes this.
  13. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I agree with this
    Dawson or Techwell for competition
    S&A for Carry

14. TomLloyd

TomLloyd Active Member

Oct 20, 2019
    I run the techwell tgo on all my competition guns

15. JHunter

JHunter Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Dawson No gap on my comp guns, WC bulletproof on my carry

16. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Stan Chen "SI" on my 5" Springer's. All other 1911's running Thin grips so no MW's.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  17. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Stan Chen on black pistol and S&A on stainless trp

18. Kamber

Kamber Member

Apr 25, 2020
    Another vote here for the Stan Chen!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted