Maiden Voyage of My New-to-Me 27-2

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Oct 21, 2018.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    With the long-awaited arrival of Fall temps and lower humidity in my area over recent days, it occurred to me this evening that my S&W 27-2 and its Kramer Leather “Thomas Perfectionist” should be taken for an initial carry out-and-about. I’d planned to hold-off on this until November, having spent time over the summer warming-up with this gun both at the range and with dry-fire / snap-cap practice.

First run was just a short hop to the gas station and back, so hardly a long haul here. Just the same, the Kramer felt good and carried the weight of the five-inch 27 well - that is, both the holster and an A&G Gunleather belt.

I’m soon to try out a Hogue Monogrip on this revolver as well as continued practice with both speed-loaders and speed-strips. I’m arguably more comfortable with the latter, as I use those exclusively with a J-frame that I carry often. I’m going to keep working with both to decide on a favorite.

I would have taken a pic of the gun “on,” but had already taken all the stuff off before getting the bright idea to post this ha-ha.

This gun doesn’t conceal as well as a 1911, has a shade less ammo onboard, and loads quite differently - just the same, I really like it. It most likely won’t replace any 1911 in my lineup, but I also don’t want to just let it sit around unused.

More to come as the journey continues. Some of you know that I flirted not long ago with selling this piece. I’m glad now that I didn’t, but I want to see where I stand after spending some more time actually carrying it and shooting it further.

3F13E8E2-6FB6-4B01-86A6-4933C5CAE35D.jpeg 7CE2F183-9955-4894-A981-3738CECD1ADD.jpeg

Attached Files:

BR549er, Whiten, Mike Meints and 10 others like this.
  2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Welp that's it for me folks. Off to gunbroker. Good looking heater.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    ^^ Thank you - and GB is exactly where I found this one!

4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
  5. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    And lower humidity is a dream come true

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  6. Brianfede

Brianfede Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Never in a million years should you sell that!! She is a real beauty.

7. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Very nice! She appears to be sportin' the three T's!

8. Acroyer

Acroyer Off my meds Supporting Addict

Dec 16, 2015
    That 5" is a beauty! I carry my 4" model 28 from time and to time, and I can tell you that for comfort, the speed strips are the way to go. I tried the speed loaders in a double pouch like you have. Since I hold the gun with my left hand and use the speedloader with my right, I would carry the gun at my 3:00 position with the speedloader pouch just behind it. This was a great setup if I never wanted to sit down anywhere or try to drive. The bulk was just too much for me. Sliding a couple of speed strips in my back pocket was so much more comfortable.

Just my experience. Yours may vary!

9. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    I’m totally with you @Acroyer - while I’m a fan of speedloaders, the ‘strips are great, too. They’re all I carry for my J-frame 642. I’ll be carrying a 4-inch 28 myself a bit, and I plan to carry speed-strips and, if I can figure out a handy way to carry it without turning my normal-man-belt into a Batman-utility-belt (ha!), a lovely little six-round carrier from Kramer.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted