1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellows. New guy here. Mostly a rifle shooter/reloader for 30 plus years but have a couple 1911s that I have recently got out of the safe and started shooting (again).

My RIA 1911 MS model (purchased new years ago) came with a "flat" MSH. I shot it as it was for "awhile" and then installed a arched MSH and shot it that way for "awhile". Couple days ago I reinstalled the OEM "flat" MSH and went shooting with the gun yesterday.

To be truthful I don't seem to notice a difference between the two housings. Either the way the gun "fits" my hand or how the gun performs.

What am I missing? My understanding is that the USA requested the change to a arched housing to "improve" the way the 1911 was held in the shooters hand and thus the way the POI was effected.

What should I be noticing when using the two different Housings?

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
my Springfield has an arched housing

my Remington r1 has a flat housing

it presents no issue, i shoot just as well with one as the other. I never understood the big deal either. . but im far from a pro and i do not shoot competitively or anything

·
The Tinker
3,326 Posts
For me, after shooting/practicing with a 1911 style pistol in the same configuration for a long time, I developed a natural 'point of aim'. That is, when I get a proper grip on the pistol, close my eyes, and bring the pistol up to a shooting position, the sights are aligned or very close to it.

Hand me a different pistol and it won't happen. For me anyway. Muscle memory. I can pretty much shoot anything, but some configurations/designs are more comfortable and/or are more accurate for me than others. YMMV.

Also, one configuration or another might give some folks better control of the pistol during recoil/shot recovery.

Long story short? It's all about personal preference. IMO of course. :)

·
Christ is my front sight.
815 Posts
I think it was a “law of averages” kind of decision. US military was trying to find the best fit for most soldiers hands etc. The original M1911 had a flat MSH and when they changed some things in between WW1 and WW2, creating the M1911A1 the changes made were mostly to improve “fit” such as the arched MSH which would aid in shifting the gun position in most hands, also the frame relief just behind the trigger to allow for shorter fingers to have better access. They also went to a short trigger for that as well.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I "used" to prefer the arched mainspring as my hands are large and the arch pushed pointed base of the grip away from my palm.

I say "used to prefer." Having been recently introduced to the Stan Chen SI mainspring / magwell, I have to admit that THIS flat mainspring with it's rounded butt, is much more comfortable to me now than the arched mainspring housings used to be.

1982 Colt Contemporary - 03.JPG

1982 Colt Contemporary - 04.JPG

·
The Tinker
3,326 Posts
I "used" to prefer the arched mainspring as my hands are large and the arch pushed pointed base of the grip away from my palm.

I say "used to prefer." Having been recently introduced to the Stan Chen SI mainspring / magwell, I have to admit that THIS flat mainspring with it's rounded butt, is much more comfortable to me now than the arched mainspring housings used to be.

View attachment 457039

View attachment 457041
I too have 'discovered' that I prefer a flat MSH with a 'round butt' at the bottom. I just take it a bit more extreme than the Chen. :D

Reactions: ZoidMeister

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
I too have 'discovered' that I prefer a flat MSH with a 'round butt' at the bottom. I just take it a bit more extreme than the Chen. :D
I'll say!!!!!!
heavy round butt.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
You might notice a difference if shooting bullseye style with one hand. I noticed that I had to cock my wrist to align the sights with a flat MSH, but was able to keep it straight with the arched.

·
The Tinker
3,326 Posts
LOL...and married a fiery Irish red head....LOL
I married a 5'1" tall French-Canadian! And yes she was a red head in her younger days. I quickly learned that discretion is sometimes the best way to win. :D

And then I taught her how to shoot...

Reactions: zipper046

·
Registered
457 Posts
my understanding was that with a flat MSH on the 1911 most shooters were hitting low.. when the arched MSH was installed (1911A1) it supposedly made the pistol sit differently in the hand/grip so that the shots went higher..........YMMV

TR

·
Registered
82 Posts
Remember, these guns were designed when people were shooting pistols primarily one-handed.

A modern day two-handed hold is going to place the gun differently in your hand. So the arched MSH may not fit with your palm in the way it was intended.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I use arched MSH because I have big hands and it helps fill in my hand without widening the grips. Also shooting at speed for competition I was getting some low hits and the arched MSH helped with that, 30+ years ago!!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I find that flat works fine with iron sights. With an optic, however, the dot seems quicker to find if the pistol has the arched housing. This is a training issue i’m sure.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I did notice a difference....a few years ago....I started with flat MSH's....worked fine enough, but shot a tad low (more shooter error than anything....). Then I shot a bobtail and it definitely shot low compared to a flat MSH....then I shot an arched MSH and it felt great and felt closer to my issued Glock 17 (closer/similar, BUT NOT the same...of course)....been shooting them arched for over a decade now....

....but then again...picked up a flat MSH Wilson a few weeks back (before my range closed) that my buddy had...and I shot it lights out!....

so I guess it really doesn't make a difference...other than how it "feels" in your hand....

Reactions: ZoidMeister
1 - 19 of 19 Posts