1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
The purpose of this post is to maybe answer some questions, if there is anyone out there like me. I was searching for some options to ease off the sharp bottom edge of my DW Valor. It’s a full size Govt gun, 45ACP, and duty coat. First let me clarify there was absolutely nothing wrong with the factory part, and the swap was done purely for personal preference. This is my everyday carry gun about 250-300 days a year. The remaining days (middle of summer on the Outer Banks of NC in shorts and a T Shirt) I carry my 45ACP DW Vigil Commander. I also want to add that Endre at DW, who is always extremely helpful, had given the option to “round heel” the bottom edge as you can see on my Vigil pictured. That would have required the frame itself being machined and refinished. I decided against this as I wanted to leave open options for the future.

Having said all this, I wanted a mainspring that was slightly rounded but not beyond the existing frame. The “drop in” options I settled on were VZ’s aluminum machined by Pete Single and Stan Chen’s all steel part. Although I did not go with the aluminum, the VZ part is very well made as you would expect, affordable, and cosmetically pleasing. I decided not to install it as I wanted to stick with all steel. That left me with the Stan Chen. Brownell’s offers blued or stainless in 20,25, or 30 LPI. I chose 30LPI. Yes I also know my Valor is Stainless then Duty finished, but the black/blued steel version was a perfect color match. The part was very tight and needed a small bit of fitting on the channel ears but nothing else.

The main reason I’ve posted this is for those that may be looking to do the same thing for whatever reason. At least my experience in research didn’t lend itself to much information and comparison pictures. If someone is in fact looking to swap out, here is my results. First pictures are the Valor with the Chen installed, then the factory mainspring alone, and finally the Vigil as it comes stock just for comparison.

43509F91-9EA1-4290-8B12-FDCB54DF3BF9.jpeg
9BC38D43-62D4-42BC-A189-D34AF18C00A0.jpeg
2CA5DB52-71A6-406A-BCD9-15E91DB1236D.jpeg
0D5E626D-CB09-453F-9090-BDA9324F0B0F.jpeg

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
The only real solution is a Stan Chen SI Magwell. They fit perfect on DW's. End of story.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct but it was my understanding they were not for VZ slim grips. I wanted to also leave the slim grip profile and did not want to add any additional weight at all. Fine part, just not for my application.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple more pics. First may not have shown clear enough. There are no gaps, and there is no over hang from the frame over the round heel. Anyway, for me and my gun, I’m satisfied. Just an option if anyone was looking.

9BC22DF7-07BE-4EFD-8B35-F911E9B822E1.jpeg
D1A1AE59-6900-4F11-A7D8-4DB44DBEA4A3.jpeg

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
I hear ya now, I had to sacrifice the Slim grip option for the M/W. But I think it's worth it if you really want a M/W. But I see your point. That's the kind of thing you live with on a off the shelf gun.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Nighthawk magwell may be slim line.??. I have no personal knowledge and have no experience doing an install with that part though. I will agree the Chen SI looks great and the new Valors wear them well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts