1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
gun-nut
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a previous post where someone asked which guns I most love to shoot, I answered that my 5” Caspian home build and my DVC Limited are my two favorites.

I have shot the Caspian .45 in IDPA matches and I have used the STI 9mm in USPSA and Steel Challenge competitions.

My choices were reinforced Saturday afternoon as I took them both out for an afternoon of practice.

I started by shooting the STI and was having plenty of fun with it.

Then I broke out the Caspian .45 and there is just some kind of magic that happens with that gun.

Even with the increased recoil, I was able to run faster times on 15 round drills with the .45.

So, I just have to say that even though I love both guns for their intended purposes, if I had to choose one, make mine a 1911 in .45!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hi,
I never owned a .45 Auto Commander until I built one.
It is made of a Foster frame and a Remsport slide and barrel.
As it is only 3/4" shorter than a Govrnment Model.
I was surprised at the "bark" it has over the full size model.
After about 300 more rounds of break in and I will call it good and fit for service as it is becoming a favorite!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have always shot a commander size better overall than a 5" gun. The only exception is when we shoot at long range. In that situation, the little extra in length of sight plane stands out. At my normal practice ranges of 12 yards to 25 yards I pick up the sights of the shorter slide quicker and somewhat clearer. My old eyes may have something to do with that. I work so hard on the perfect sight picture at very long range 50 yards to 100 yards on steel that the extra slide length helps there. My go to gun though at this time is a Nighthawk Talon II.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Mine also!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I prefer the balance of a Commander to the Government Model, but shoot either equally, though the Commander clears the holster just a bit quicker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts