Make mine a 1911.

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by Love2Shoot2, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Love2Shoot2

Love2Shoot2 gun-nut

Nov 1, 2012
    In a previous post where someone asked which guns I most love to shoot, I answered that my 5” Caspian home build and my DVC Limited are my two favorites.

I have shot the Caspian .45 in IDPA matches and I have used the STI 9mm in USPSA and Steel Challenge competitions.

My choices were reinforced Saturday afternoon as I took them both out for an afternoon of practice.

I started by shooting the STI and was having plenty of fun with it.

Then I broke out the Caspian .45 and there is just some kind of magic that happens with that gun.

Even with the increased recoil, I was able to run faster times on 15 round drills with the .45.

So, I just have to say that even though I love both guns for their intended purposes, if I had to choose one, make mine a 1911 in .45!

2. seagiant

seagiant Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Hi,
    I never owned a .45 Auto Commander until I built one.
    It is made of a Foster frame and a Remsport slide and barrel.
    As it is only 3/4" shorter than a Govrnment Model.
    I was surprised at the "bark" it has over the full size model.
    After about 300 more rounds of break in and I will call it good and fit for service as it is becoming a favorite!

Rick McC. and A45GUNNER like this.

3. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I have always shot a commander size better overall than a 5" gun. The only exception is when we shoot at long range. In that situation, the little extra in length of sight plane stands out. At my normal practice ranges of 12 yards to 25 yards I pick up the sights of the shorter slide quicker and somewhat clearer. My old eyes may have something to do with that. I work so hard on the perfect sight picture at very long range 50 yards to 100 yards on steel that the extra slide length helps there. My go to gun though at this time is a Nighthawk Talon II.

4. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
  5. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I prefer the balance of a Commander to the Government Model, but shoot either equally, though the Commander clears the holster just a bit quicker.

MSGT2511 likes this.
  6. Yeti

Yeti New Member

May 3, 2020
    Love the balance of the Commanders, but for me the follow ups are more accurate with 5".

seagiant likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted