Manurhin MR73

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by farmer, Jul 5, 2020.

1. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I have a newer 4" Sport version that I bought here on the forums. Been reading what I can find, so familiar with the background, reputation for strength, etc.....I think it's a really cool gun. Questions for those who know these guns. Are the newer Chapuis guns as good as the Mulhouse originals? If not quite, then what differences are apparent? Are they as strong and is the metallurgy the same? Mine is unfired since factory and has a slight bit of endshake. Doesn't bother me, as long as this is pretty normal and just how they're built. Any comments on that? Short of sending the gun out, how can I get a perfect fit pancake style holster for it? Thx, Pete

2. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    “As good” is an interesting question... In my personal opinion it’s like asking is a Python from the late 50’s as good as one built in the early 80’s...

As for the strength, it should be just fine.

Dave Laubert has one of mine and from speaking to him he’s enjoyed working on it quite a bit so he can probably take care of any potential issues that are bothering you... I would give him a call!

sadly I can’t help you on the holster question.

3. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    @WatchFan1 can probably add some thoughts to this as he has a few of them!

4. farmer

farmer Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Thx for the answer. Just to clarify....nothing on the gun bothers me at all. It's a really impressive gun and I've been impressed reading about it's history and the goals that led to it's being created. I just don't have personal experience with them. The endshake is minimal and definitely not worth trying to fix. I had a Smith that would lock up on me when it got too hot, that thing would have been reliable if it had a little clearance built in. Terry Tussey fixed it. I wouldn't be surprised if specs on the MR73 included a certain amount of endplay and that's what I'm curious about. Wondering too, if the newer ones are different than the original guns in this regard.

Pythons are a different story in my life. I've had many. My favorites were the late 60's, early 70's guns but I never had one from the 50's. Bluing was superior, actions were smoother than newer ones in general. Reason to ask on the MR73 is that production moved. Different group making the gun.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted