Marlin 39A vs... CZ 452 and Ruger 10/22 Target

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by awpk03s, Nov 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    If you have a Marlin 39A - I would love to hear about your experience with it. I am a lever action freak, and always loved shooting my uncle's Marlin.

My only 22 rifle today is a CZ 452 Ultra Lux. FANTASTIC accurate rifle, 29" barrel, just great. But... it's a right handed bolt and I'm left handed - never really got that accustomed to it, and it's the ONLY bolt rifle I have (rest are levers or semi autos).

Preparing for a gunshow weekend, I am considering selling the CZ. I am mainly interested in a Marlin 39A, or potentially a Ruger 10/22 Target. The Ruger would need a scope which would bring the cost almost equal with the Marlin. Intended purpose for both is purely plinking and occasional groundhog/pest control.

So, I ask you, that if you have one of these rifles - please share your experiences (accuracy, reliability, ammo compatibility, etc.)

Thanks.

2. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
    I have that model in the take down version and just the 39. the action is little rough but not too bad. When I say rough it is in comparison to some others. It isn't "rough" hard to explain what i mean I guess. I really enjoy mine. It has never not loaded anything. 100 percent reliable. The take down model isn't the most accurate however I have the other version and I cant shoot flys on my target. I love it and I am thinking of selling the take down model. the hood over the front site is removable and I didnt figure that out for awhile.

3. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a 10/22 and it's a good gun. But they are a dime a dozen and I'd rather go with something a little less common next.

4. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I have a left-hand CZ 452 American that I love.

5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    The Marlin 39 is a wonderful gun as is the 10/22. Vastly differant though. Lever vs. auto. I love the 39 and you say you love lever actions then that's the way I would lean. Autos are a blast to shoot cans, bottles and things thrown up in the air. Levers being slower to reload are still a hoot to shoot. Pesonally I would get the 39.

6. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I got a new Marin 39A over the weekend. Love this rifle! Going to put fiber optic sights on it and a leather sling on it and hit the woods.

7. Mechanized

Mechanized He's a large "member" Supporting Addict

Sep 24, 2011
  8. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Congrats.

I have a Marlin 39 (no A), and it is an excellent rifle. I did have to buy a new ejector spring for it a few years back.

9. GoetzTalon

GoetzTalon Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have the 39A and love it. The best thing about the 39 over the autos is that you can shoot long rifle,shorts, CB's, and longs.

10. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    If you like lever action I would suggest a Henry. Just picked on up and so far has been gret out of the box. Action is smooth and it's pretty darn accurate. Not to mention a blast to shoot.

11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    A Henry for a lever action would be a VERY good choice. It's the smoothest lever action
    I've ever shot

12. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I was going to suggest a CZ 512 if you like your 452 that much. The 512's don't get much love due to their triggers, but mine was about 4lbs and decent right out of the box. The newer 512's seem to be much more refined than the first ones. Maybe next time. Enjoy your Marlin. Solid choice that you will enjoy.

13. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right...

Sep 11, 2012
    you do realize this thread is over 4 years old...?

14. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Damn! Sorry about that. It was on the bottom of the page as a suggested thread. Didn't think to check the dates. Guess the OP should be ready for another rifle by now then!

livinthelife likes this.
  15. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right...

Sep 11, 2012
    No worries, welcome to the forum.

16. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Even an old thread needs a picture.
    [​IMG]

Sawgrass and GoetzTalon like this.
  17. GoetzTalon

Oct 21, 2011
    Had mine out last weekend! _20151218_162103.JPG

Sawgrass and azpoolguy like this.
  18. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I have a Marlin 39 1970 Century (20" oct barrel) and a CZ 452 Trainer. The CZ is slightly more accurate because it has better sights. The Marlin is more fun and allows faster follow up shots on running rabbits. I do use my CZ every Wed at the range in competition with four other old guys for who buys coffee, I haven't had to buy. CZ does offer a very good product, we have four of their bolt guns. I like them both though what American boy or girl doesn't love the looks of a lever action rifle. It's my unfounded opinion that you can't go wrong with any 1975 and earlier Marlin 39 in terms of a straight shooting rifle, We had a Ruger but we passed it on to someone who liked it more than us.
    Noted this is a four year old thread, nice Marlins GoetzTalon & AZpoolguy.

19. Sawgrass

Sawgrass Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Nice pics guys. Cant go wrong with a Marlin 39 (a)
    Never too late to talk about them. As a collector of .22 rifles the 39 is near the top of the favorites list. I've bought and sold a few 10/22's, never sold a 39. Currently have three and looking for two more. I picked up a CZ training rifle but haven't shot it yet.

20. GoetzTalon

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks! My 39 is about twenty years old but not old as far as 39's go. I had a little 2x Weaver that fit the gun better but did not work great for hunting. Ended up putting that big honking 6-24 x 42 target scope that I had in the safe on it and I can see the squirrels now lol. Loved the old Marlin ads in field & stream back in the day that showed the 39 with a skillet full of squirrel and a recipe on how to cook it.

Sawgrass and limbkiller like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted