1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
FYI:

I don’t know if people are lying in this thread to cover for him or if they just don’t know the truth. But I posted this in another thread;

I would avoid MARS Armament for the time being. His landlord evicted him from his shop. All his employees have quit.

That’s not a good sign.

My personal 1911 project wasn’t that labor intensive and it’s 4.5 years late on my original quote. It was promised again in March 2020 to be done in “Three Weeks”...but never arrived.

I’ve called Steve a hundred times, emailed fifty times, even texted 20 or so times. No reply at all. I know he answers when certain people call him.

I’d say avoid him like the plague for new work and if you have a gun with him start finding out it’s status ASAP. It might be long gone.

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
2,047 Posts
FYI:

I don’t know if people are lying in this thread to cover for him or if they just don’t know the truth. But I posted this in another thread;

I would avoid MARS Armament for the time being. His landlord evicted him from his shop. All his employees have quit.

That’s not a good sign.

My personal 1911 project wasn’t that labor intensive and it’s 4.5 years late on my original quote. It was promised again in March 2020 to be be done in “Three Weeks”...but never arrived.

I’ve called Steve a hundred times, emailed fifty times, even texted 20 or so times. No reply at all. I know he answers when certain people call him.

I’d say avoid him like the plague for new work and if you have a gun with him start finding out it’s status ASAP. It might be long gone.
Yep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I posted earlier, I tried to call Steve back in September and heard nothing. Called, sent a couple emails and even an IG message. I chalked it up to not wanting any more business but maybe he isn't even in business anymore!?

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
FYI:

That’s not a good sign.

My personal 1911 project wasn’t that labor intensive and it’s 4.5 years late on my original quote. It was promised again in March 2020 to be done in “Three Weeks”...but never arrived.

@Green Face

anyone have more info on this?

·
Registered
209 Posts
FYI:

That’s not a good sign.

This is sad to see but it DOES happen. I have been telling people for years - the similarities between the gun industry and the MI (musical instruments / music gear / musical accessories) industry are incredible in their sheer number and completeness. Over the years I have seen luthiers building high-end boutique and custom guitars or electric basses and even custom speaker enclosures break into the scene, make a splash, and then disappear. Some even do really solid business for years and then, often without any easy reason to point to (such as bad economy or slowdown in the industry) they simply shut down and ghost. Often, they disappear with many thousands of dollars worth of customer deposits and having made a bunch of promises to good people.

"Doctor Bass" speaker cabinets and "HJC Customs" are two recent examples. Well-respected small shops that just mismanaged their businesses into the ground despite high demand for their work..... And, rather than come clean and make arrangements to at least TRY and make good for customers with deposits in.... they spend all the money trying to stay afloat, make a lot of promises and then finally go into hiding when they can no longer find, even in themselves, a willing audience for their lies.

It's a shame... especially if there are addicts here helping to perpetuate the lies. I will reserve judgment in this case, but I've seen this sort of thing too many times. If you're waiting for work or have a deposit in, DONT WAIT - contact the local Dept of State to see if they're still open for business and current on their taxes, contact a local attorney, GO GET YOUR MONEY... because by the time it's all over you'll be the last person in line at the courthouse when the bankruptcy trustee is liquidating their assets.... if they ever hand any.

·
Registered
209 Posts
***even more important: if this shop is in possession of a gun YOU OWN which you've sent in for work, and you genuinely suspect them of going out of business.... call the local police and file a report of theft. It's your best and possibly only chance at getting your gun back....

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I posted earlier, I tried to call Steve back in September and heard nothing. Called, sent a couple emails and even an IG message. I chalked it up to not wanting any more business but maybe he isn't even in business anymore!?
Sorry we did not connect with you.
We stopped taking major projects a while back in order to focus on guns already in house and underway.
We are definitely still in business, actually busier than ever.

There are lots of good smiths out there, try Pistolwrench/Chuck Rogers, his work is always amazing. If he's not available then Chris at Combat Precision, Jason at Heirloom Precision, Pete Single, Chuck Warner can probably help you, there are many others.

·
Dremel jockey
4,645 Posts
I'm currently finishing up a build that has been here for 5 years.
It is for a previous customer that considered the wait 'worth it'.
I have no thoughts on the 'intents' of this thread, beyond:
Be up front. If it might take 5 years, communicate that initially.
Respond to queries, even if your response is NOT what the client wants to hear.
Offer to return the host gun at ANY time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have no dog in this fight but I did get a little chuckle out of “we (Mars) are too busy, try Burton, Single, Rogers” ....three of the most in demand and almost impossible to get a build with, smiths on planet earth. Carry on.
Not gonna get any satisfaction out of Chuck Warner either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm currently finishing up a build that has been here for 5 years.
It is for a previous customer that considered the wait 'worth it'.
I have no thoughts on the 'intents' of this thread, beyond:
Be up front. If it might take 5 years, communicate that initially.
Respond to queries, even if your response is NOT what the client wants to hear.
Offer to return the host gun at ANY time.
Hello Sir, I certainly appreciate your reply. Unfortunately my project is going on 5 years past my quote. Communication has been averaging 4-5 months between replies, no one ever returns a call, and my request for a picture of my project have been ignored. I've asked to simply cancel and be returned my parts but was told that wasn't possible........Again my quote was for completion in the May-June 2017 timeframe. I would have no problems considering a quoted five year wait "Worth It" but that wasn't my estimated time frame. My concerns went up time x1000 when MARS Armament's old landlord tells me point blank they were evicted, as in forced to vacate their shop. Not simply moved. Not to forget their website going offline, for months. While my initial posting of my situation got me a prompt email reply and promises all that has amounted to nothing.

·
Premium Member
28,393 Posts
Hello Sir, I certainly appreciate your reply. Unfortunately my project is going on 5 years past my quote. Communication has been averaging 4-5 months between replies, no one ever returns a call, and my request for a picture of my project have been ignored. I've asked to simply cancel and be returned my parts but was told that wasn't possible........Again my quote was for completion in the May-June 2017 timeframe. I would have no problems considering a quoted five year wait "Worth It" but that wasn't my estimated time frame. My concerns went up time x1000 when MARS Armament's old landlord tells me point blank they were evicted, as in forced to vacate their shop. Not simply moved. Not to forget their website going offline, for months. While my initial posting off my situation got me a prompt email reply and promises all that has amounted to nothing.
Get a lawyer…..

21 - 34 of 34 Posts