Massad Ayoob on Thumb position

Discussion in 'Training' started by B81, Aug 1, 2020.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I've always shot thumbs forward because "that's what you're supposed to do." Now I'm curious about trying these other thumb positions.

3. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    Never particularly cared for him just because of his lack of real world experience. He is a wealth of technical and range knowledge along with legality and use of force but much like Chris Costa (Coast Guard) I don't put a ton of faith in instructors on deadly force who've never fought for their life or had rounds slung at them? Just my humble opinion

Uncle Bob and River runner like this.
  4. BluGrass

BluGrass Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    I respect Mas and his opinion but....... I really do believe there is not a one size fits all when it comes to grip. For instance I carry and shoot J frames quite a bit and using the method Mas demonstrated leads to my trigger finger hitting my support thumb. I modified my grip so that my support thumb rests on the knuckle of my firing hand thumb.

I say give them a shot but just remember what works for Mas may not work for you and vise versa.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    River runner likes this.
  6. PI Lawyer

PI Lawyer Active Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Thumbs low works best for me. And it mitigates slide and hammer bite with polymers and Hi Powers.

7. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    I don’t trust a guy who gets his nails manicured...check out the video. I have office hands, but his are beyond that .

Uncle Bob and ak_in_ca like this.
  8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Guys in SWPL including Leo's and Gunsite guys called him "Assad the boob".

9. IndyExit

IndyExit Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2018
    I've always used a low thumb because it gets your hands out of the controls of any gun and it tends to act as more of a vice.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted