1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive taken up building a 1911 on my spare time. I purchased an 80% frame and fit it to a colt slide. I went with 38 super because I wanted to have something different from what i already have. ive made it all the way as far as to fitting the barrel to the slide. I ran into an issue when I put on an initial barrel link that was too large, causing the slide not to action (im using wilson combat parts). so i ordered an entire set of different size barrel links and finally got the smallest barrel link to work on the build. The slide will go into action, but sometimes it gets stuck. when i called the tech support for wilson combat to ask for brief advice, their gunsmith told me to file down the barrel lug. ive filed it down somewhat but i dont want to do too much to where i do irreversible modifications that will make it worse. but the issue im having is that the slide will rack back a few times and sometimes it will get stuck in the initial actioning of the slide. i noticed that if i position the weapon a certain way, it will get stuck and not slide at all. any help or advice would be much appreciated.

·
Christ is my front sight.
819 Posts
I would sure echo what was said above. Gunsmith fitting a barrel is not a gimme task. If you don't know the procedure and have the right tools it's almost impossible and very easy to over file both the lower and upper lugs and subsequently lose the benefit of a tight fit barrel. Basically the job is too involved to explain online. Follow the advice above and best of luck! Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would sure echo what was said above. Gunsmith fitting a barrel is not a gimme task. If you don't know the procedure and have the right tools it's almost impossible and very easy to over file both the lower and upper lugs and subsequently lose the benefit of a tight fit barrel. Basically the job is too involved to explain online. Follow the advice above and best of luck! Welcome to the site!
Thanks. I’ve looked around locally and no luck. Im gonna have to go out of town to find a gunsmith.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just an update, i finally got it to function properly. i took some advice from 1911 builders out here out of San Diego and simply lubricated the slide, barrel lugs, and actioned the slide a few times and it works flawlessly. im glad i was able to fix it myself without having to take it to anyone because in the end I want it to be my project that i made. thanks for your help and input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts