1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second 1911 was also the second 1911 that I built. It's a PSA frame and slide with a Kart EZ-fit barrel and has played second fiddle to 1911 #1 (a Caspian with 30,000ish rounds through it) and as it happens, the sear/hammer interface gave out on me and kept dropping to half cock during the match. No bueno. So I broke out the backup gun to play. It had no magwell, no front strap treatment, etc...it didn't really make much difference. It ran well and my reloads were still pretty decent.

Buuut, I haven't shot Single Stack in a while....and it showed. On top of that, I haven't shot a match in a while...and it showed. Planning stages was rough, technical shooting skill/familiarity with my 1911 was meh, and my classifier stages didn't really round out to much different that what I already knew...if I take time and get my hits I can throw down a B class stage. If I'm really laying it down, I can do an A level classifier. I didn't do much of that. I decided "Eh, first match of the year, just hang bullet holes on the target"

It was pretty bad. I'm out of C-class I think (I'm a B level production scrub) but the rest of the four classifiers were pretty rough.

Sooooo...anybody recommend hammer/sear combos to use to get gun #1 back and running? Sidepoint: Do you find a huge difference in your reloads running a magwell vs not running a magwell? I'm not exactly a scrub as far as reloads go and of course, there is competitive advantage to being able to just throw the mag in the general vicinity.

But I think if I were carrying a 1911 again I'd just leave the speed chute off.

·
Shooter Ready.....Stand By!
1,536 Posts
Magwell all the way for me! Love'em!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.