Meanwhile on Lonesome Pine Rd...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by LPRoad, May 8, 2018.

1. LPRoad

LPRoad Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 16, 2015
    One of my pistols has returned. When I retired, I gave my brother the choice of the HK USP45 which had been my duty weapon, or the 1911 Govt model I had bought because it was made in 1963 (my birth year). He wisely chose the 1911. Last time he was out to visit, I noticed he was having trouble manipulating the stubby thumb safety. I let him try the GI model SA that had been lightly customized by Benchmark Precision and had an extended thumb safety. He did much better with that, so I suggested we trade. Done deal. When I bought it years ago, it had some fugly adjustable sights, so I had sent it off to Heirloom Precision to have them install retro sights and re-blue the slide. I'm sure some folks will cringe at the sight of the STI trigger, but it works well, and I just can't do well with a short trigger. There is some finish damage to the frame, but I live in the land of finish destruction, so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe some day I'll see about some DLC or NP3. I did let him keep the Challis walnut grips, so I'm still deciding what grips will live on her when all is said and done.

IMGP2167.JPG

In other news, I bought an unknown 9mm pencil barrel from a forum member, figuring if I ruined it trying to fit it to my 1952 LW 38 Super, I'd only be out $40. As it turns out it dropped right in and with a 19 dollar Mecgar magazine she runs like a top (at least with Freedom Munitions FMJ). Less that $60 invested and I have a dual caliber Commander :) As you can see from the pic, I'm already starting to wear out the finish on the old girl, but I buy guns to carry, so that's just the way it's going to be.

IMGP2164.JPG

cwoods, RN47, gaijin and 21 others like this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    And the way it should be it is. Two nice carry guns that envelope everything you need.

cwoods, simonp, Bro. Pappaw and 3 others like this.

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Two nice ponies! I really like the blue finish on the Government Model. I'm a big fan of honest wear on a working 1911. I see too many safe queens these days, and I appreciate it when folks get out and use their 1911s, what's the point of having em' if they just sit right!?!

Bro. Pappaw, LPRoad and Kip like this.
  4. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I really dig those older style rollmarks. Looking good!

Bro. Pappaw and LPRoad like this.
  5. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Beautiful.

LPRoad likes this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Bro. Pappaw and LPRoad like this.
  7. Joseph Medugno

Joseph Medugno Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Beautiful pistols! Thanks for the pics.

LPRoad likes this.
  8. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Very nice pistols.

LPRoad likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted