1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my pistols has returned. When I retired, I gave my brother the choice of the HK USP45 which had been my duty weapon, or the 1911 Govt model I had bought because it was made in 1963 (my birth year). He wisely chose the 1911. Last time he was out to visit, I noticed he was having trouble manipulating the stubby thumb safety. I let him try the GI model SA that had been lightly customized by Benchmark Precision and had an extended thumb safety. He did much better with that, so I suggested we trade. Done deal. When I bought it years ago, it had some fugly adjustable sights, so I had sent it off to Heirloom Precision to have them install retro sights and re-blue the slide. I'm sure some folks will cringe at the sight of the STI trigger, but it works well, and I just can't do well with a short trigger. There is some finish damage to the frame, but I live in the land of finish destruction, so I'm not too worried about it. Maybe some day I'll see about some DLC or NP3. I did let him keep the Challis walnut grips, so I'm still deciding what grips will live on her when all is said and done.

IMGP2167.JPG

In other news, I bought an unknown 9mm pencil barrel from a forum member, figuring if I ruined it trying to fit it to my 1952 LW 38 Super, I'd only be out $40. As it turns out it dropped right in and with a 19 dollar Mecgar magazine she runs like a top (at least with Freedom Munitions FMJ). Less that $60 invested and I have a dual caliber Commander :) As you can see from the pic, I'm already starting to wear out the finish on the old girl, but I buy guns to carry, so that's just the way it's going to be.

IMGP2164.JPG

·
Registered
833 Posts
Two nice ponies! I really like the blue finish on the Government Model. I'm a big fan of honest wear on a working 1911. I see too many safe queens these days, and I appreciate it when folks get out and use their 1911s, what's the point of having em' if they just sit right!?!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Very nice pistols.

Reactions: LPRoad
1 - 8 of 8 Posts