Memory lane

Discussion in 'Open Mic' started by limbkiller, Oct 27, 2020.

1. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I came across this phrase in a book yesterday: "fender skirts."

I haven't heard this term in a long time, and thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice, such as "curb feelers" and "steering knobs."

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Kids, you will probably have to find some elderly person over 60 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "continental kits"? They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes"? At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your dad to come home so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore: "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast-to-coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I came across the other day: "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss: "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro: words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision"!

Here's food for thought: Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most is "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

FWoo45, 1911 dawg, BLRGSD and 17 others like this.
  2. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    Funny I was just discussing dinner vs supper with some folks the other day.
    To add to the list..
    Power glide

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020

3. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    baby moons
    Cherry bombs
    lock outs
    hydro glide
    duo glide

4. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    A flat top with fender skirts.
    The punks hair cut in the mid 1950’s:
    a flat top hair cut with duck tails on the sides.
    Yeah, I grew up in Elvis country.

5. N.Al-Tider

N.Al-Tider Well-Known Member

May 15, 2017
    Everyone used to make sandwiches with "light bread" but now we just use "sandwich" bread. Or sliced bread.

And what happened to the term, long lost? Remember people that would talk about a "long lost love" from so many years past?

6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Still use a steering knob every day:) image.jpg

7. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Cigarette vending machines without an age limit on purchase restrictions. $0.35 per pack. You always bought what your parents smoked just to cover your arse in the event you were questioned.

8. N.Al-Tider

May 15, 2017
    I was talking about those the other day with my Dad. He gave me his old Farmal model A tractor a couple of years ago and I am slowly starting to restore it. He asked if I was going to put one of those on the steering wheel. I hadn't thought about that. We those at one time called "suicide" knobs? Or was that something else?

9. rmac

rmac Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 26, 2016
    Also known as a ‘necker’s knob’.
    Allowed you to drive with your left hand while the right arm kept the girlfriend snuggled close.

10. N.Al-Tider

May 15, 2017
    I hadn't heard of "necker's knob" before now. I also didn't have a problem driving with my left hand. Course, I also didn't have a problem with my arm snuggling my girlfriend close either. Probably because I didn't have many girlfriends back then... [​IMG]

11. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    Can you imagine a kid today figuring this out. F0C59440-B8E2-4A22-BFA7-C2BB8B0B6D37.jpeg

12. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    Try "sweet milk"
    indoor plumbing, yes as a child we caught our water nothng indoors.
    thus an outhouse -and- for emergency a honey pot

1911 dawg, xerts1191 and Cimarronkid like this.
  13. hamholfarm

hamholfarm 1911Addicted-> Avoiding Intervention

May 10, 2014
    I'm in PA, and the locals (I'm a 30 year transplant) use "dinner" for lunch, and
    "supper" as the evening meal.

14. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    I know they are "knuckle busters". Hit a dry rut or plowed clob with your non power steer tractor and see if you can hold a coffee cup the next day.

xerts1191, N.Al-Tider, rmac and 2 others like this.
  15. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Lunch was what I carried to school or bought in the lunchroom. Dinner was a major sit down midday meal usually seen only on Sunday and holidays. Supper was the evening meal.

16. nathanotis

nathanotis Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    I work in an auto shop where that vintage is pretty common. I LOVE to watch the new kids try to figure out old tech.

We still call "manual transmissions" Standard.

I also useta call lunch "dinner" and the late meal "supper". Mostly cause it confused people.

1911 dawg and xerts1191 like this.
  17. j quan

j quan Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    cool "stuff" i remember all of this as if it was yesterday, but i can't remember what happened yesterday!

xerts1191 likes this.
  18. N.Al-Tider

May 15, 2017
    Sho you right! But that's why I learned early in life to drive with the furrows whenever possible. ;)

xerts1191, nmbuzz and rockittsled like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted