1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the old saying is “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.” That being, I have always liked the look of a 1911 with a deep blue slide and a color case hardened frame. Only if the frame is carbon steel and the CCH is done properly with bone and charcoal.
I have been searching and exploring options for awhile now, seeing prices on customs well above $3K. Sure I have seen less expensive, but the quality just wasn’t there. I also toyed with having a base gun built and finished the way I wanted, but then the price kept creeping up above $3K.
Then, a week or so ago, a fellow Addict offered up a 9mm Dan Wesson Valor, Limited Edition, CCH, blue slide, and bone grips in the Classified section. I was not aware there was such an animal in the wild.
I began my search in earnest and found a NIB model in 45ACP on GB. The price was right with a buy now option. I called Dan Wesson and confirmed the slide and frame were carbon steel, deep blue slide and bone and charcoal CCH. Needless to say, I jumped on it, and today, she is in her new home. I am really impressed with the finish in person, pictures do not do justice, although I posted a couple below.
I am now waiting for Scott @SK Grips to send some pictures of Mammoth Ivory grips to complete the package.

29A92705-0383-4E35-9033-0F818D69CB7E.jpeg
A6F730AB-1C25-445D-84F6-08499D567B23.jpeg

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, SS Heinie and T4 all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,126 Posts
I know the old saying is “beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.” That being, I have always liked the look of a 1911 with a deep blue slide and a color case hardened frame. Only if the frame is carbon steel and the CCH is done properly with bone and charcoal.
I have been searching and exploring options for awhile now, seeing prices on customs well above $3K. Sure I have seen less expensive, but the quality just wasn’t there. I also toyed with having a base gun built and finished the way I wanted, but then the price kept creeping up above $3K.
Then, a week or so ago, a fellow Addict offered up a 9mm Dan Wesson Valor, Limited Edition, CCH, blue slide, and bone grips in the Classified section. I was not aware there was such an animal in the wild.
I began my search in earnest and found a NIB model in 45ACP on GB. The price was right with a buy now option. I called Dan Wesson and confirmed the slide and frame were carbon steel, deep blue slide and bone and charcoal CCH. Needless to say, I jumped on it, and today, she is in her new home. I am really impressed with the finish in person, pictures do not do justice, although I posted a couple below.
I am now waiting for Scott @SK Grips to send some pictures of Mammoth Ivory grips to complete the package.

View attachment 654667 View attachment 654669

I watched this one in Auction or if not it was another just like it and the price was pretty awesome!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny, not so funny story. When I was much younger, in my early 20s, and a new police officer with very limited knowledge of firearms other than the one I carried, I was given a Colt SAA previously owned by my grandfather. I had no idea of what CCH was, and thought it had discolored because my grandfather did not take care of it. Well, I spent an entire weekend with various chemicals and scouring pads removing that gawdawful discolorization. Time passed and I eventually became friends with a local gun shop owner and quickly learned I had ruined any collectability of the SAA.
And that, my friends is why you can’t give anything nice to kids!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Funny, not so funny story. When I was much younger, in my early 20s, and a new police officer with very limited knowledge of firearms other than the one I carried, I was given a Colt SAA previously owned by my grandfather. I had no idea of what CCH was, and thought it had discolored because my grandfather did not take care of it. Well, I spent an entire weekend with various chemicals and scouring pads removing that gawdawful discolorization. Time passed and I eventually became friends with a local gun shop owner and quickly learned I had ruined any collectability of the SAA.
Jeezo, I thought I was a screw up as a pup.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeezo, I thought I was a screw up as a pup.
Thing is, though, as much as we screwed up, we are still breathing and not in prison. You have to be able to laugh and never take yourself too seriously. As soon as you do, someone or something will certainly put you in your place.

·
In Kentucky
9,287 Posts
My son in law the first time he saw my CSA said the frame is rusting. I had along discussion on cch. He didn't know a lot about guns but was a outstanding diesel mechanic and welder. Just what my excavating company needed.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
That one looks great, it's hard to beat Case Colored when it's done right. Enjoy that one and don't forget to post some more pics when you get the new grips installed.

Reactions: 1811RET

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I had that same DW in 9mm for a while. When I acquired a couple other CCH guns I passed the DW on to another Addict here to enjoy. It was still box new so his appreciation of the gun was every bit as much as mine when I got it.

Congrats on a great purchase!

Reactions: Jimhoag and 1811RET

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Nice looking pistol!
never take yourself too seriously. As soon as you do, someone or something will certainly put you in your place.
and to this I say!
"If you think you're important: try telling another mans cow dog what to do!"

Reactions: 1811RET

·
Registered
125 Posts
My son in law the first time he saw my CSA said the frame is rusting. I had along discussion on cch. He didn't know a lot about guns but was a outstanding diesel mechanic and welder. Just what my excavating company needed.
Sounds like ya learned him but good!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was given a Colt SAA previously owned by my grandfather. I had no idea of what CCH was, and thought it had discolored because my grandfather did not take care of it. Well, I spent an entire weekend with various chemicals and scouring pads removing that gawdawful discolorization.
We have a crime here, and a confession of guilt.

Sad. Truly sad.

Your only recourse is ritual suicide.

Or sex with Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters in the back seat of a Prius.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I saw yours on GB when it was up for auction and even put a watch on it. What a beauty! Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy shooting it as much as looking at it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your new DW looks fantastic. So glad that I was of help by taking that ECO off your hands. Happy Thanksgiving.
Thank you on both accounts. I am glad I played a part in helping to reunite your ECO family during the holiday season! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well

·
Registered
474 Posts

Nice!

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I'm still licking my wounds losing money on a gun scam here a few weeks ago, but some how your story scrubbing a vintage Colt SSA with chemicals makes me feel better. Hard earned lessons are pretty good teachers, the earth still spins and you just smile and move on. Congrats on the DW, it's a beauty!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts