1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is metro arms the best philippines made 1911 ? are they pretty close to spec or just junk . I took a chance on one in commander platform it seems well fitted full of mim parts i know ejector will break if shot much so i will be ordering one as spare the bluing seems nice . the last case out comes straight back all others land between 2 and 3 o'clock and the slide does not lock back my handloads may be to light. Shoots about 10 inches low at 25 yards.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Whats the bad i should look for think i might need a lighter recoil spring for my hand loads. This is my first commander sized gun all others are 5 inchers any common issuse with them
That's kind of the problem not any what you could say common issues just, a Pandora's box kind of thing. Kind of like getting a good Truck by a manufacturer then the next one is a total pos.. Don't get me wrong when you get into the budget end 1911's many can be like that.

I know people who have had nothing but, negative experiences with RIA. While I actually owned a few of their tactical officer sized pistols that ran flawless..

I'm not real familiar with their factory spring weights, but if it has a 23# main spring and you lighten the recoil spring, you may want to lighten the ms as well. What's it doing that makes you think it needs a lighter recoil spring? NM I see what you said about the case coming straight back. Instead of changing springs I'd heat up your reloads a little. Last round thing every time is more than likely not a spring issue. Extractor or ejector issue..

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Since it's the last round every time you have no bullet underneath that last casing aiding in the ejection of the last round. Follow? The underlying rounds in all the previous shots are probably supporting the exiting case until the ejector knocks it out of the port the last case is probably just flopping around in there. I'm thinking extractor..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kind of the problem not any what you could say common issues just, a Pandora's box kind of thing. Kind of like getting a good Truck by a manufacturer then the next one is a total pos.. Don't get me wrong when you get into the budget end 1911's many can be like that.

I know people who have had nothing but, negative experiences with RIA. While I actually owned a few of their tactical officer sized pistols that ran flawless..

I'm not real familiar with their factory spring weights, but if it has a 23# main spring and you lighten the recoil spring, you may want to lighten the ms as well. What's it doing that makes you think it needs a lighter recoil spring? NM I see what you said about the case coming straight back. Instead of changing springs I'd heat up your reloads a little. Last round thing every time is more than likely not a spring issue. Extractor or ejector issue..
Im going to shoot some factory ball through it. All my hand loads are 200swc at 725 fs. The last round case coming back at me aint that bad but the slide doest lock back either just a little hotter load may take care of it.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Rock Islands are solid. Is that rumor about Philippine 1911s being made on old retired Colt equipment still floating around?
Not sure, but I did hear that some years ago. I mean they have been making these things for a long time. And, I had read somewhere that they were reworking and armoring wartime colts at one time early on..

·
1911 Pistol Smith
11,465 Posts
Im going to shoot some factory ball through it. All my hand loads are 200swc at 725 fs. The last round case coming back at me aint that bad but the slide doest lock back either just a little hotter load may take care of it.
One thing you will find about the budget end 1911s if they are going to run their best it will most likely be on 230 grain ball as that is what many are designed primarily around.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im going to test the extractor tension.
Since it's the last round every time you have no bullet underneath that last casing aiding in the ejection of the last round. Follow? The underlying rounds in all the previous shots are probably supporting the exiting case until the ejector knocks it out of the port the last case is probably just flopping around in there. I'm thinking extractor..

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Rock Islands are solid. Is that rumor about Philippine 1911s being made on old retired Colt equipment still floating around?
Lest you not forget, most were constructed of reclaimed steel from the Battleship Graf Spee . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Metro arms Commander was my very 1st 1911. Bought it when they were even more affordable. Decided to get it to see if I liked the 1911 platform. Obviously I do!

I have to say. That dang gun runs lights out and is very accurate. Love it.

It’s my go to camp gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.