1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of putting together a very loose representation of a Gen 1 MEU SOC pistol using an Ithaca frame and Numax hard slide. Can anyone recommend a drop in grip safety and an ambi safety that look somewhat authentic, but don't require any modification to the frame? I would like all modifications to be completely reversible, with the exception of the sights.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ed Brown grip safety. Kings Ambi-safety, which is no longer made.
Harrison Design makes a high rear sight, similar to the KC Customs one.
KC also make the closest rendition to the ambi-thumb safety, that I could find.
Colt commander style ring hammer.
I used the Harrison design set.
Nothing will be drop in.
Pachmayr grips, and a flat serrated mainspring housing with lanyard loop.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks gentlemen...that's exactly what I was afraid of.

At the very minimum, I was hoping to add KC's sights, beavertail grip safety, ambi safety, flat serrated MSH, commander hammer, and three hole trigger without having to blend and refinish any parts. Sounds like that is a pipe dream.

Any clue if KC will do the front sight install without using silver solder? If so, is there any reasonable expectation that the sight will remain intact?

Appreciate the heads up on the Harrison sights @Longbow.

·
الواحد
1,188 Posts
Thanks gentlemen...that's exactly what I was afraid of.

At the very minimum, I was hoping to add KC's sights, beavertail grip safety, ambi safety, flat serrated MSH, commander hammer, and three hole trigger without having to blend and refinish any parts. Sounds like that is a pipe dream.

Any clue if KC will do the front sight install without using silver solder? If so, is there any reasonable expectation that the sight will remain intact?

Appreciate the heads up on the Harrison sights @Longbow.
the front sight has to be staked or solder. There maybe some machining needed for the front on some slides. KC’s grip safety is designed at a different radius to fit more frame with less work. I’ve seen KC’s sight work first hand and he does a great job.

Sounds you either need to bite the bullet or use a different gun. Slightly older Springfield milspec or loaded would be a cheap way.

·
Premium Member
28,384 Posts
How bad do you want one?
There are some very good clones for sale from time to time

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How bad do you want one?
There are some very good clones for sale from time to time
Unfortunately not badly enough to drop $3k on one. :meh:

the front sight has to be staked or solder. There maybe some machining needed for the front on some slides. KC’s grip safety is designed at a different radius to fit more frame with less work. I’ve seen KC’s sight work first hand and he does a great job.

Sounds you either need to bite the bullet or use a different gun. Slightly older Springfield milspec or loaded would be a cheap way.
Understood...was just wondering if he would stake versus solder which would help keep the cost down. After looking at the Harrison sights, that may be the better option.

I can't commit to permanently parting out the gun for a build as it is an unmessed with example of a post-war SA arsenal rebuild (I purchased the hard slide to shoot rather than using the RR slide that came on the pistol). Sounds like the plans just need to be scrapped.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not shoot the RR slide?
Not fully heat treated, plus it is in much poorer shape than the frame is. Rear sight is dinged up as are the cocking serrations. The hard slide will just serve me a little better since I use the gun as a cheap USGI shooter.

·
الواحد
1,188 Posts
Unfortunately not badly enough to drop $3k on one. :meh:

Understood...was just wondering if he would stake versus solder which would help keep the cost down. After looking at the Harrison sights, that may be the better option.

I can't commit to permanently parting out the gun for a build as it is an unmessed with example of a post-war SA arsenal rebuild (I purchased the hard slide to shoot rather than using the RR slide that came on the pistol). Sounds like the plans just need to be scrapped.
Not fully heat treated, plus it is in much poorer shape than the frame is. Rear sight is dinged up as are the cocking serrations. The hard slide will just serve me a little better since I use the gun as a cheap USGI shooter.
IMO and not to tell you what to do with your own firearm.
It’s a mixmaster and while in outstanding shape as it is, it is a parts gun of a by gone era. I’m not knocking your pistol don’t misunderstand me, I’D LOVE TO OWN IT. You could have the sights installed on the hard slide without devaluing it. KC has some pretty decent prices for this, finished, as well as some of our gunsmith members here. KC’s grip safety would require less fitting or the frame that let’s say a EGW or Wilson (for example) would require. The thumb safety I believe all the fitting is to the actual safety than the gun. It’s under $400 in parts (sights, grip and thumb safety) I’d suspect less than that in work also if you can’t do it yourself. Add pachmayr Combat grips maybe an HD combat hammer, sear, trigger and brother you’d have one hell of a MEUSOC clone that I’d be proud to own. With military street cred for a whole lot less than what clones are going for.

I get it, leaving it as is and why you would want to do that. I just believe it would serve you better and be more enjoyable with the above mentioned pieces. Or sell it to me for a good buddy price and I’ll do it;)

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
CLH82 it really just depends on how close you want get. If you don’t want to permanently modify your frame you might consider using a Colt rat tail safety. It will still let you use a Commander hammer but doesn’t require any modification of the frame tangs.

I know this is a far cry from a MEUSOC but it’s fun to shoot.

Gun Wood Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Finger Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
923 Posts
So do all the machining to that Numax slide, so your RR stays untouched. You could get the value out of it in case you sold it later, to someone looking for a MEUSOC. That narrows you down to the grip safety alone being the jumping off point to mod your frame or go with the rat tail KS9 suggests.

How’d that Numax fit to your frame?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts