1911 Firearm Addicts banner

MEUSOC Springfield Loaded project

20K views 105 replies 31 participants last post by  Memagcab 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright y’all,

I’ve been thinking about building/having built a Marine Expeditionary Unit Special Operations Capable (MEUSOC) M45, FOREVER. I hadn’t decided on what variant (there’s like 5) or what base pistol, start from scratch, budget we’re all concerns. Well I’ve kicked this can down the road long enough.

I scored a very nice Springfield Loaded (older roll marks) off gunbroker for stupid cheap. I contacted Valor Precision (gunsmith) who’s a former MC 2112 and commissioned him for the build. We hashed out a parts list and decided on a variant 4 “clone”

Parts list:
Pachmayr GM-45C grips
Videki trigger
C&S Marine ignition set
Ed Brown Wide thumb safety ambi- 892match
Ed Brown Memory Groove grip safety- 867m
USGI mainspring with lanyard loop (to be hand serrated by gunsmith)

The barrel and sights are going to stay stock for now. Individual parts will be stamped with the last 4 of SN.

1 concern and question for y’all is the grip safety. I understand Springfield tang size can be an issue with grip safeties. Something to the effect of Springfields are .220 and most grip safeties are .250. Is the model I listed going to cause issues, is there a different EB grip safety I should be looking at for this build? Gunsmith is going to fit and blend everything, I was hoping for some insight from someone who has experience or been down this road. Thanks Answered

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure if EB makes a 220 radius
I think Wilson does
or
your GS can weld the tangs and refit it.
If you hashed out the parts and price he may have that in the build price. Check with him.
Always go over all the parts being used ESPECIALLY if you are suppling them with you smith!

#3 ·
For a .220 grip safety, you have a couple options:

1. EGW makes a .220 grip safety that is cut from solid steel. These are really nice pieces and are well oversized for your ‘smiff to shape.

2. Smith & Alexander makes a .220 as well that’s really nice, but I’m not sure if they’re machined from stock. Regardless, the S&A safeties are good pieces and a little bit cheaper.

Sure hope this helps... X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
but I’m not sure if they’re machined from stock. Regardless, the S&A safeties are good pieces and a little bit cheaper.

Sure hope this helps... X
S&A started machining theirs from billet a couple of years ago. I am sure there were some cast ones of the less popular models that they continued to ship, but if one calls S&A, Alan’s wife answers the phone and if she can’t answer the question she puts Alan Smith on the phone.

#5 ·
Alright y’all,

I’ve been thinking about building/having built a Marine Expeditionary Unit Special Operations Capable (MEUSOC) M45, FOREVER. I hadn’t decided on what variant (there’s like 5) or what base pistol, start from scratch, budget we’re all concerns. Well I’ve kicked this can down the road long enough.

I scored a very nice Springfield Loaded (older roll marks) off gunbroker for stupid cheap. I contacted Valor Precision (gunsmith) who’s a former MC 2112 and commissioned him for the build. We hashed out a parts list and decided on a variant 5 “clone”

Parts list:
Pachmayr GM-45C grips
C&S trigger CS181
C&S Marine ignition set
Ed Brown Wide thumb safety ambi- 892match
Ed Brown Memory Groove grip safety- 867m
SA flat Smooth mainspring with lanyard loop (to be hand serrated by gunsmith)

The barrel and sights are going to stay stock for now. Individual parts will be stamped with the last 4 of SN.

1 concern and question for y’all is the grip safety. I understand Springfield tang size can be an issue with grip safeties. Something to the effect of Springfields are .220 and most grip safeties are .250. Is the model I listed going to cause issues, is there a different EB grip safety I should be looking at for this build? Gunsmith is going to fit and blend everything, I was hoping for some insight from someone who has experience or been down this road. Thanks
Go to KCSKUSTOMCREATIONS.com and read about the various MEUSOC builds. K.C. also sells the proper grip safety that will fit the frame you have. Also he has the correct thumb safety.
Good reading on what went into the different MEUSOC 1911’s.
Good luck with your build.

#8 ·
Go to KCSKUSTOMCREATIONS.com and read about the various MEUSOC builds. K.C. also sells the proper grip safety that will fit the frame you have. Also he has the correct thumb safety.
Good reading on what went into the different MEUSOC 1911’s.
Good luck with your build.
Thank you,

Unfortunately the wonderful parts KC makes weren’t used on the generation of pistol that I’m going for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.