1911 Firearm Addicts banner

MFII - LAW . . . . . .

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  ZoidMeister 
#1 · (Edited)
That should really be my motto, or should I say, that should be Phineas C. Zoid's motto - MFII - LAW . . . . and here is why.

On Friday I started a thread. "COTFT has a new member . . . . Zoid".

It was a bold statement. It kind of made it sound like this was my VERY FIRST flat trigger installation - "Hooty Hoo, look how talented Phineas is . . . . . "

The truth of the matter - it wasn't my first attempt - it was my second. And I've really got to give full credit @Joe C and his CCP SSF Trigger for making it very easy to be successful on the second attempt.

My first attempt however, was a classic lesson in MFII - LAW. "Move Forward In Ignorance - Learn Along the Way"

Here is THAT story . . . . . and how I NOW know why it is nearly impossible to find a flat trigger in the color black . . . . .

===================================================

I had laying around a Fusion flat K-hole trigger that I bought a while ago to try to satisfy my COTFT curiosity. Fusion didn't have one in black, so I ordered one in white aluminum. When I got it, I kind of set it aside because I really wanted my first flat trigger to be BLACK.

A month or two later, as my COTFT curiosity re-emerged, I thought, "Hey, I'm a smart guy, this trigger is aluminum and I have a bottle of Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black lying around. 1 + 1 always equals 2, right?" So starting out, I promptly dipped the Fusion trigger into some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to try to "anodize" it black.

What a screwed up mess I ended up with. The Birchwood Casey stuff started to dissolve that Fusion aluminum. I treated it per BC instructions, and rinsed with clean water too boot. The surface of that aluminum MIM trigger became all granular, and smelly black powder rubbed off on my hands as I tried to dry it. It stunk to high-heaven and the black powder that was rubbing off was similar the red powder you would get rubbing a heavily corroded piece of steel - Mistake #1.

So I started wiping down the trigger with alcohol and acetone to get most of the black powdered / decayed aluminum off of it. When I got finished cleaning the trigger up, it was NOT back to it's original white aluminum color, but kind of looked like one of those "battle-worn" black-wash finishes that have become the latest rage on pistols and cheap Kershaw knives. It wasn't BLACK.

I still wanted a "black flat trigger" however and thought, "Hey, I'm a really smart guy. I've got a Sharpie right here on my desk. Sharpie is 'The Permanent Marker'. Sharpie never comes off anything, right?" So I tried coloring that trigger with a Sharpie.

Well . . . the Sharpie didn't like the underlying decayed aluminum surface and didn't cover evenly - not even close. The more I tried to apply, the blotchier it looked. New Sharpie layers were dissolving the previous layers. This solution was clearly going nowhere. So I went back to the drawing board, I cleaned that damn trigger again with alcohol and acetone, got back to the same "battle-worn finish" I had in mistake #1 - Mistake #2

This gave me reason for pause. I had to sit down and take inventory on what I have used in the past to turn things black - successfully . . . . .

I knew I had some Krylon High-Temperature Black spray paint in the garage. I figured, "Hey, I'm a really, really, smart guy. This stuff works GREAT on my barbecue grill. It HAS to work on this trigger. Besides, I couldn't do any more damage to it than I already did, right?"

That heavy duty, high temperature, spray paint really seemed to stabilize the decayed aluminum surface. It provided a fairly nice flat black finish too. I was finally pleased with the appearance of my nice "new" Fusion K-hole BLACK trigger . . . . . . . but, I wasn't finished . . . . . . yet . . . . .

At THAT point, and ONLY then, did I try to get that friggen trigger into the gun - Mistake #3 . . . . . .

You guessed it, it WOULD NOT FIT! It wedged tight, just as the trigger shoe tried to enter the frame opening into the trigger guard. That trigger was tighter than Rosie O'Donnell in a size #2 spandex leotard . . . . . . There was absolutely no way it was going in without taking off some material.

So, in the process of getting that worthless no-good, @#$%^&*, *&@# trigger to fit, this "really really not-so-smart guy" removed just about all traces of black from every fricken-damn-ratten surface except for the face and inside the K-holes . . . . . . and when I got finished, the nice flat black, high-temperature spray paint that DID remain, looked just like the "battle-worn" black-washed finish I ended up with in Mistake #1 . . . .

All in all, I think it came out pretty nice, right?

Fusion Flat K-hole Trigger with two-tone, "battle-worn," high-temp black finish, in my Ruger SR1911-10mm

Gun Tool Metal Trigger Everyday carry

Gun Firearm Trigger Grey Air gun

And NOW I know why I never see any BLACK flat triggers . . . . . . . .

Zoid

See less See more
#3 ·
I got the flatties from Joe and sent them to LouB. who fitted them to the guns and then cerakoted them. They seem to be holding up fine View attachment 153921
Sounds like you've avoided the MFII-LAW curse . . . . . . .

Nice Rugers BTW . . . . . .

#9 ·
Have you noticed my friend @ZoidMeister has been cozying up to
@Joe C these days. ? I have !
This is a blatant attempt by Zoid to learn to conduct his own gunsmithing build course without compensating Joe the cost of gleaned knowledge .
The boy is going crazy without TTT to cover up his blunders !
One of TTTs spy’s spotted Zoid trying to put his stolen knowledge
To effect —— beware. !!

Branch Organism Skin Primate Vertebrate

Come back Zoid we’ll save you. !

#17 ·
guess I am a member of the mFII-Law. it works on vacuums, small appliances ,gunsmithing screw ups and when the car breaks down.. the saying not thinking" I am a smart guy.....

Reactions: ZoidMeister
#18 ·
Okay, mistake # . . . (What number am I on?)

Extreme regrets to STI for calling them out at the manufacturer. I just went back over my receipts. This trigger is a Fusion trigger. I didn't mean to get the manufacturers confused. I'm already confused enough on my own.

Edited all references. No disrespect to either maker, Zoid was highlighting his deficiencies.

Reactions: removed
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.